Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 02-08-2019, 12:22 PM   #11
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,730 Times in 1,250 Posts

My issue with lom cases is that eventually the stitching at the end caps breaks down. My experience is that takedowns seem to hold up better
allen newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2019, 12:54 PM   #12
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,833 Times in 2,362 Posts

In reality, this is the type of case most original GH-Grade purchasers would have gone for --

Canvas take-down cases.jpg

My GH-Grade two-barrel set came in this case --

Parker Bros. two-barrel case.jpg
Dave Noreen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dave Noreen For Your Post:
Unread 02-08-2019, 12:57 PM   #13
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,191 Times in 12,368 Posts

The Trojan I borrowed for a few years when I was a kid was in a case exactly like the lower case in the top picture... complete with hang tags.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2019, 03:22 PM   #14
Rick Riddell
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Noreen View Post
In reality, this is the type of case most original GH-Grade purchasers would have gone for --

Attachment 69776

My GH-Grade two-barrel set came in this case --

Attachment 69777
Hey Dave, Mine actually came with the same case for one barrel but it was so rotten it was falling apart, maybe I'll find a replacement.
Rick Riddell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2019, 04:16 PM   #15
chris dawe
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,784 Times in 602 Posts

;My two cent's on this is that - I love a take down case for the simple fact that the gun is broken down, inoperable and unarguably safe ...just last season I was explaining my thoughts in regard this as my cousin asked me why I always broke down my guns for transport ...days later there was a fatal shooting here as one hunter pulled his loaded shotgun out of the full length case ...shooting and tragically instantly killing his own brother who was standing on the opposite end ....my cousin ordered a take down Boyt the next week for his new SXS

We can all weigh in and say " I always check" , " I never ", "someone should never" - ad finitum ...but the simple fact is WE ALL FORGET AT TIMES !!! ...those who claim they don't are full of shit -or probably forgot they forgot

Like I said just my two cents ...but you'll never have to ask the guy with the L.O.M putting his gun the cab of your pick up if he made sure the gun was unloaded .
chris dawe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to chris dawe For Your Post:
Unread 02-08-2019, 10:19 PM   #16
Phil C
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 5,947 Times in 1,437 Posts

Chris is spot on with his observations. Two seasons ago I pulled a shotgun out of my full length case and found that some how I left it loaded.
Chris hunted with me for 10 days this year and never once failed as we approached the truck to unload his Parker, tell me and show me it was unloaded before closing it. Of course I followed and did the same. A great practice to get into.
Normally when I hunt I use a full length case.
Several years ago I went to visit some local friends that own a custom saddle and leather shop.
Brian and Val work with me to design and build a case to meet my needs.
I wanted a case that would last a lifetime, fit any shotgun I might have from a 410 to an 8 gauge. Length and width. Made from top quality saddle leather hand stiched with a full length calf skin lining. Solid US made brass buckles, and belt leather for the straps.
Handles made from Laret rope covered in leather. With a Mearns quail carved on the flap.
It’s a little large when I slip one of my 410’s in it, but it protects it well and when the flap is buckled it would take a lot of abuse without damage to the gun.
It’s not quit as pretty as it once was but I use it every day I am out bird hunting.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg FEA920CC-D57B-45A6-9DD6-DD8B1B6C9459.jpg (524.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 6C220A20-C756-4DDC-B6D0-0C51BCB002B0.jpg (512.1 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 92FA5D56-79A4-4EAA-B46B-8741AAE54F3A.jpg (517.0 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by Phillip Carr; 02-08-2019 at 10:20 PM.. Reason: Sp
Phillip Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Phillip Carr For Your Post:
Unread 02-08-2019, 10:58 PM   #17
BS
PGCA Member

Member Info

I have cases of all types and have used them all. I take break down case for traveling, but upon reaching my destination and for the week or so of hunting I prefer a full length case. I have done more damage to my guns assembling or disassembling them over the years than I have hunting with them. Maybe I’m not careful enough putting all them together as I should be but I can tell each scratch and dent in the wood that came from breaking down and asssembling the guns.
-Brett
Unread 02-09-2019, 10:25 AM   #18
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

I have all three types as well and my least favorite are the trunk cases. I have half a dozen sitting in the gun room that go unused. IMHO the LOM cases will protect the gun more than a canvas type of take down case and my hammer guns always go in a LOM case.

As Patrick Lien would say "A classic gun deserves a classic case" and for me it's a LOM style.