Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

How we spent our day...
Unread 12-25-2018, 08:02 PM   #1
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,042 Posts

Default How we spent our day...

My favorite sporting author, George Bird Evans, wrote in his An Affair with Grouse: "The child tells what he got for Christmas, the mature man tells how he spent the day; the immature hunter tells how many birds he shot, the mature gunner tells of the experience."

At this season, I'm sure that those of us who live to chase game birds or waterfowl with vintage guns know that Mr. Evans' comment rings true, and that beyond the taking of game is the fulfillment of the pursuit. My wife and I have for nearly 40 years hunted on Christmas Day and this year was no different. We've hunted on a frigid SE Minnesota bluff when it was so cold the bells and beeper collars all froze; in the Ohio foothills when the only Christmas dinner available was a microwave meal from a rural gas station; and, more often than not, driving from home for a "short hunt" on a nearby farm.

This year was no different, and after opening presents and communicating with relatives in far away states, we loaded the entire family -- my wife and I and our four Gordon Setters -- and drove just across the Missouri State line to a small farm in Appanoose County, Iowa. The Day had been forecast as cloudy with some fog, but it was sunny and 46 degrees, and made for lingering to enjoy the sun. The one covey that lives here was not home, but we walked the backside of the CRP in hopes that maybe a rooster could be found. We hunted our "new" brace -- 6-year old Cedar and our 15-month old pup, Aspen. I could tell they were enjoying the day and its weather as they ranged a bit too far in friendly competition. This is not a tale of a large bag, or even many pointed birds, but we did manage a rooster over a point, both dogs claiming the honor. I'm sure we walked slower than we normally do to take it all in -- the beautiful day, stolen in a way from the weatherman, was all we could have asked for, and to have us together was by far the most memorable present we received.

I have always enjoyed seeing the pictures of other members' hunts and reading of their days afield. I invite others to add their accounts of the season. If hunting was part of your Christmas Season, whether on Christmas Day or at any time during the holidays -- how did you spend the day?

Key to the photos:

1. The weather was to be cloudy with fog. Thank goodness the weatherman is as often wrong as right. We call this a "stolen day."
2. Elaine said there was color in this photo -- bird, vest, sky...and the case coloring of the Smith she bought me a few days earlier after we stumbled upon it at a local gun store where we stopped on a whim. It was hidden away among black guns and commemorative Winchesters. I put away the 20 gauge DHE today to use this Christmas present (I hope you'll forgive my posting "another" gun!).
3. Two Gordons who think this bird is theirs. Both pointed the bird and gloated over it in the weeds.
4. Peat, who is retired at 11 years and who has hunted since birth without one of his back feet due to an accident, still likes to ride along and take account of the day's bag. I've admired his spirit and attitude for all of his 11 years.
5. Color as good as that of any Christmas present wrapping.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_1415.jpeg (468.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1406.jpg (510.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1405.jpg (528.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1418.jpg (509.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1417.jpg (514.3 KB, 1 views)
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2018, 08:10 PM   #2
Reggie B
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,436 Times in 1,366 Posts

Great Christmas day hunt! Thank you for sharing!
Unread 12-25-2018, 08:47 PM   #3
Randy Roberts
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,594 Times in 1,840 Posts

That's good stuff right there, way to go. My hat's off to you Sir. Merry Christmas!!!
Randy G Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Randy G Roberts For Your Post:
Unread 12-25-2018, 11:06 PM   #4
Victor Wasylyna
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,463 Times in 328 Posts

Merry Christmas, Garry! Thank you for sharing your experience.

-Victor
Victor Wasylyna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Victor Wasylyna For Your Post:
Unread 12-26-2018, 12:22 AM   #5
Brett Hoop
PGCA Member

Member Info

From your earlier writings I had thought of GBE and Kay. So I am not at all surprised to see one of my own favorite quotes of his attached. Your Mrs gets an atta girl for the Christmas Smith! It's hard to hold a pheasant cock in hand and have your eyes digest the all of him!
Brett Hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brett Hoop For Your Post:
Unread 12-26-2018, 07:28 AM   #6
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,073 Times in 1,190 Posts

What a great tradition you have and what a wonderful day that you had, you could not have asked for better weather!
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Eis For Your Post:
Unread 12-26-2018, 08:18 AM   #7
Daniel G Rainey
Forum Associate

Member Info

my son and I are going to Prairie Wildilfe for a bird hunt this morning. His Christmas gift. He.grew up after the wild ones were gone, He will shoot my RBL 20 and I GH 16 or DHE 16,Bay my Boykin should pick her share of the birds. last year we killed 33,
Daniel G Rainey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daniel G Rainey For Your Post:
Unread 12-26-2018, 08:26 AM   #8
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

What a wonderful Gordon family you and your wife have and you really know how to make those special times into special memories.

Thanks for taking us along.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 12-26-2018, 08:29 AM   #9
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel G Rainey View Post
my son and I are going to Prairie Wildilfe for a bird hunt this morning. His Christmas gift. He.grew up after the wild ones were gone, He will shoot my RBL 20 and I GH 16 or DHE 16,Bay my Boykin should pick her share of the birds. last year we killed 33,
Daniel,

Post a picture or two, and be sure to include your Boykin if you can. I hope this hunt goes well, but if you and your son are going together, it is already a good day.
The Following User Says Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 12-26-2018, 08:32 AM   #10
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Hoop View Post
From your earlier writings I had thought of GBE and Kay. So I am not at all surprised to see one of my own favorite quotes of his attached. Your Mrs gets an atta girl for the Christmas Smith! It's hard to hold a pheasant cock in hand and have your eyes digest the all of him!
Brett,

Thanks for responding. I'll tell Elaine. She deserves more thanks than I can ever give her, and not just for letting me indulge in guns and hunting.