Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 11-22-2018, 02:51 PM   #11
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,242 Times in 2,416 Posts

We had a lease on Taylor's Island right off of Slaughter Creek in Dorchester Co. and shot some really nice Sika's which were really great eating. Every one I shot was with a .270 or .243. Biggest was a 6 pt. which dressed out at 110 lbs. Worst part was getting them out of that boot sucking marsh.
Unread 11-22-2018, 03:01 PM   #12
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,527 Times in 3,401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Corona View Post
We had a lease on Taylor's Island right off of Slaughter Creek in Dorchester Co. and shot some really nice Sika's which were really great eating. Every one I shot was with a .270 or .243. Biggest was a 6 pt. which dressed out at 110 lbs. Worst part was getting them out of that boot sucking marsh.
We had a lease on Hiproof road that is now part of the refuge . We also got a year or so had the Inseley tract on Beachground Road . I killed a 6 on Beechground in 1999 and a big 6 on the Blackwater in 2005 in 99 with s ML and in 05 with a 12 gauge bolt action rifled slug gun .
CraigThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2018, 03:04 PM   #13
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,242 Times in 2,416 Posts

I know that area well.
Unread 11-22-2018, 03:11 PM   #14
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Corona View Post
I know that area well.
Place we had on Hiproof was owned by the Newcomb family and originally leased by Tom Fleming then he sold out to the two guys I hunted with . Across the road Brad Dysinger of Maryland trap shooting fame had a lease or so I was told as it was a skoosh before I arrived on the scene . I killed a few deer the years I was with that group but a pickup truck would not carry all the good food and drinks consumed in camp and at the local resteraunts . Ate a bunch at Irish’s Resteraunt which no longer exists I believe .
Unread 11-23-2018, 08:30 AM   #15
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,253 Times in 425 Posts

Guys, if I may, just a few comments on slugs and buckshot. Back in the day, I did a lot of patterning with buckshot loads and used them for swamp whitetails. What I found is that 00 buck did not pattern well at all out of my full choke barrel. My particular gun, a 28” DHE bored modified and full, handled 00 buck better with the modified choke barrel. Obviously, the full choke barrel in that gun was bored too tight for the 00 buck. Big shot needs less constriction than smaller shot to perform best. I never could get the patterns I wanted with 00 so I tested other size shot and settled on #1 buck. I got what I was looking for from both barrels with this size shot and took many whitetails with it, even though buck shot was illegal in New York. Back in those days, that restriction meant little to me. The swamp I hunted was very close cover and a 40 yard shot was the exception. I used a plastic sleeve to surround the shot and melted candle wax in the shot column. It worked well.

As far as slugs are concerned, different brands should be tested on paper to determine which is best. Each barrel is a world unto itself and generally will shoot a given brand of slug better than other brands.
Tom Flanigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2018, 09:30 AM   #16
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Flanigan View Post
What I found is that 00 buck did not pattern well at all out of my full choke barrel. My particular gun, a 28” DHE bored modified and full, handled 00 buck better with the modified choke barrel. Obviously, the full choke barrel in that gun was bored too tight for the 00 buck. Big shot needs less constriction than smaller shot to perform best. I never could get the patterns I wanted with 00 so I tested other size shot and settled on #1 buck.

As far as slugs are concerned, different brands should be tested on paper to determine which is best. Each barrel is a world unto itself and generally will shoot a given brand of slug better than other brands.
What you say is generally the rule but not always . I keep Buck sizes 00000 , 0000 , 000 , 00 , 0 , 1 , 2 and 3 on my shelf at all times and I try them all in any gun I plan on using . Amazingly in the 10’s I’ve messed with were not as picky size wise as one would think . In my 12 Parker’s I pretty much use 0 all the time they shoot well enough and they nest very well inside a CB WAA12 wad . In the 16 I’ve used #1 mostly but have started using 0 as well . In the 20 I’ve obly tried 2 and 3 . To date I’ve used all the sizes mentioned in various 10 gauge SxS’s to take deer as well as the two 10 gauge slugs I have molds for .
Unread 11-23-2018, 10:23 AM   #17
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,253 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigThompson View Post
What you say is generally the rule but not always . I keep Buck sizes 00000 , 0000 , 000 , 00 , 0 , 1 , 2 and 3 on my shelf at all times and I try them all in any gun I plan on using . Amazingly in the 10’s I’ve messed with were not as picky size wise as one would think . In my 12 Parker’s I pretty much use 0 all the time they shoot well enough and they nest very well inside a CB WAA12 wad . In the 16 I’ve used #1 mostly but have started using 0 as well . In the 20 I’ve obly tried 2 and 3 . To date I’ve used all the sizes mentioned in various 10 gauge SxS’s to take deer as well as the two 10 gauge slugs I have molds for .
My testing was with the gun mentioned only. It was the only gun I used for deer for a few years. I didn't test buckshot with any other guns and so my comments were for this gun only. I don't know whether or not similar bored guns would produce similar results. Maybe not. The important thing, from my perspective, is that a gun should be shot at paper with different loads or brands of ammunition with slugs. It's the only way to tell for sure which is the optimum load for a particular gun. As I mentioned, each barrel is a world unto itself. What works fine in one barrel might not work that well in another barrel although similarly choked.

One interesting and surprising thing I found is that melted wax throughout the shot column provided better patterns, but if the shell was left for more than a week and then shot, the wax held all the shot together and only one ragged hole was found on the pattern paper. I used to load every week for the shells that I would use that week. I was very surprised at this finding but apparently the wax left for over a week or so hardens to the extent that it held the shot together.
Tom Flanigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2018, 06:07 PM   #18
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,790 Times in 3,967 Posts

6 pt what kind of slug mould do you have for the 10 ga....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2018, 10:04 PM   #19
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie cleveland View Post
6 pt what kind of slug mould do you have for the 10 ga....charlie
Have one that a friend in Ohio initially had Accurate Molds cut for a 12 gauge full bore rifled gun , the slug is .730” and weighs 730 grains with s hollow base . I fill the base with hot glue , cut the petals from the SP-10 wad , seat the wad , wrap the slug with .010” Mylar and it shoots pretty well out my 10 gauge gun . I also have a mold based on the Lyman Sabot Slug but for the 10 gauge and made in Russia . That mold drops at about 660 grains , I don’t remember the diameter but it fits nicely inside an SP-10 with the petals still attached .
Unread 12-01-2018, 08:17 PM   #20
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,332 Times in 4,418 Posts

Love the new cover photo with Craig's gun! That is a great one.
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mills Morrison For Your Post: