Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 10-06-2018, 09:50 PM   #11
JeffTowner
PGCA Member

Member Info

I’m headed to Grand Rapids next week for the annual RGS National Grouse and Woodcock Hunt. Not nearly as prestigious as it sounds but always a good time. Glad to hear things are a little better than last year. My go to gun is always the 16gauge VHE skeet gun from 1937.
JeffTowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2018, 04:44 AM   #12
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,605 Times in 2,666 Posts

1. Breakfast boys

2 and 3. Between Wirt and Bigfork
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A60F27E4-3408-4D6F-8B59-DF14DDCDEF3F.jpg (515.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg D82AC719-461F-4809-ABB6-09434F797AFD.jpg (538.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg D3599411-63C4-435F-BB20-06E4019DF1AB.jpg (565.8 KB, 1 views)
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bruce Day For Your Post:
Unread 10-08-2018, 08:59 AM   #13
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,771 Times in 2,005 Posts

I'll be leaving Fri Oct 19 for my 2 week stint in the uP-my 33rd straight year. I was a guide at the national Grouse and Woodcock Hunt in 88 or '89. I had never stepped foot in Minnesota before, but I know what grouse cover looks like, and had my hunters in second place. One day I guided the late Robert Urich (movie star) and my buddy guided Bud Grant. Ironically, Robert Urich, was one of my wife's deceased husbands best friends, both from Toronto, Ohio, both dying tragically young from cancer. I met my wife years later.
Try not to have too much fun Bruce.
Unread 10-08-2018, 01:27 PM   #14
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

Bob Urich moved his family here to Andover several years ago in order to be closer to the wonderful hospitals and health care facilities in Boston, 18 miles south of here. Met him a couple of times - he was a very nice guy and very quiet.
Unfortunately the health care here just couldn't stop the inevitable.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 10-08-2018, 04:55 PM   #15
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,469 Times in 3,042 Posts

I know we are wandering a bit off the thread, but I also have an "acquaintance" with Robert Urich. Back in 2000 he was a guest speaker for our University and there was a special meeting opportunity for some of us University folk and key alums. I was familiar with Urich through his TV show, but more importantly (at least to me) for his work in publishing Once Upon a Time, a collection of Nash Buckingham stories not included in his previous books. Unfortunately, I was pretty ill and could not make the event, but my wife, bless her, was willing to take my copy of the book and see if Mr. Urich might sign it. According to her he was enchanted with the idea that someone in this academic crowd might know of this aspect of his work, and he spent a good amount of time talking with my wife about it -- much to the chagrin of some of my anti-hunting/gun colleagues. I spent a working lifetime in higher education, not always the most hospitable place for a hunter and gun collector, and this event -- albeit a vicarious one -- was among some of my most memorable. Elaine describes him as Dean has, quiet and courteous.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4866.jpg (127.0 KB, 2 views)
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 10-08-2018, 05:22 PM   #16
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Another notable memory of that trip was sharing a cocktail with the late Gordon Gullion, and good friend the late Bill Goudy.
Unread 10-08-2018, 06:03 PM   #17
birddogdoc
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,527 Times in 267 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Lee Pickens View Post
I'll be leaving Fri Oct 19 for my 2 week stint in the uP-my 33rd straight year. I was a guide at the national Grouse and Woodcock Hunt in 88 or '89. I had never stepped foot in Minnesota before, but I know what grouse cover looks like, and had my hunters in second place. One day I guided the late Robert Urich (movie star) and my buddy guided Bud Grant. Ironically, Robert Urich, was one of my wife's deceased husbands best friends, both from Toronto, Ohio, both dying tragically young from cancer. I met my wife years later.
Try not to have too much fun Bruce.
Take lots of photos Harold. Enjoy, be safe and shoot straight
Visit Shawn Wayment's homepage!
Unread 10-08-2018, 06:05 PM   #18
birddogdoc
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,527 Times in 267 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry L Gordon View Post
I know we are wandering a bit off the thread, but I also have an "acquaintance" with Robert Urich. Back in 2000 he was a guest speaker for our University and there was a special meeting opportunity for some of us University folk and key alums. I was familiar with Urich through his TV show, but more importantly (at least to me) for his work in publishing Once Upon a Time, a collection of Nash Buckingham stories not included in his previous books. Unfortunately, I was pretty ill and could not make the event, but my wife, bless her, was willing to take my copy of the book and see if Mr. Urich might sign it. According to her he was enchanted with the idea that someone in this academic crowd might know of this aspect of his work, and he spent a good amount of time talking with my wife about it -- much to the chagrin of some of my anti-hunting/gun colleagues. I spent a working lifetime in higher education, not always the most hospitable place for a hunter and gun collector, and this event -- albeit a vicarious one -- was among some of my most memorable. Elaine describes him as Dean has, quiet and courteous.
Gary I also have a copy of this book put together by Mr. Urich. Pretty cool story!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shawn Wayment For Your Post:
Visit Shawn Wayment's homepage!
Unread 10-08-2018, 08:50 PM   #19
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,605 Times in 2,666 Posts

Rain rain rain then snow.

1. Minnesota mist all day so stick to the trails. In the brush you get soaked in a hurry.

2. Pete and Dick making woodcock , jalapeño, cream cheese and bacon poppers. Pretty spicy so Scots whisky helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 17FA39D7-2BBF-4CCF-8AD7-7A63A1354EF4.jpg (513.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 096C0873-925D-4D54-8F80-4498E4C3A0FD.jpg (512.5 KB, 4 views)
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bruce Day For Your Post:
Unread 10-08-2018, 11:21 PM   #20
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Bruce, sticking to the trails is a good plan, grouse are birds of the edges, and you can cover a lot of territory on the trails, and have great flush rates.
I know its been pretty darn wet, but at least the temps haven't been too bad.
Where all have you been so far this fall--in generalities, and what birds? Why? I want to do this myself--I kind of figure that the year 2020 would be an appropriate year for an eye doc to retire and plan a big road trip--thinking about starting in Idaho and moving east and ending up in the UP.
Shawn, have you met up with your brother in Idaho yet? Just finished his grouse book and really enjoyed it--looks like I'll have to pick up his other books now.