Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 07-22-2015, 01:10 PM   #11
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,784 Times in 4,718 Posts

The "stock book records"?
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2015, 01:25 PM   #12
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,040 Times in 12,321 Posts

Bill, how would you have said it?

As for the length, the existing records (stock book or not) show it leaving Meriden with a 13 3/4" LOP. Judging by the reshaped butt plate, I would guess it didn't go back to Meriden to have the stock shortened.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2015, 07:59 PM   #13
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,784 Times in 4,718 Posts

I was just curious about access to the stock books. Of course, as editor of our journal, access should be easy. How about those of us who have had legitimate research projects in the past, but have had access denied? No disrespect meant to Dean, only to our BOD. I am too old to hold back my disappointment in some of our present and past directors.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 07-22-2015, 10:25 PM   #14
Fishtail
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I guess by 'stealing' I was referring to the term 'lucky' used to describe the new owner. I assumed that meant he got a good deal.
greg conomos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2015, 10:45 PM   #15
GH-16
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,304 Times in 445 Posts

Hi Everyone !

I'm the one who pulled the trigger on this one. The attraction for me was the barrels. I like one off type guns. When I see one like this it keeps talking to me until I either have to do something about it or play mind games with myself to get over it.

I looked the GB auction over & at first just said to myself "Oh another Grade 2" Then when I enlarged the pictures I noticed the barrel pattern was something out of the norm. I then made a quick check of the serialization book about the barrel length "Sure enough 27" Then off to the Parker story to see how many grade-2 12ga hammerless guns made with 27" Damascus barrels. The count was 24 total "None with Laminated" Now it's time to ask some questions of the seller. The usual stuff about barrel condition dents, pits, bulges etc. also what type steel did it say on the top rib & what letter was stamped in the barrel flat. He told me the top rib states Damascus steel & the letter on the flats is a "D" "It still looks like an L in the pictures" I then asked for the pictures he mentioned in the ad. After reviewing the pictures it was fairly well confirmed in my mind that the barrels were Laminated rather than D-2 standard Damascus. I then went back to the Parker story "Only this time to Vol-2 in the barrels chapter" In this chapter there is mention that the factory first used laminated rough tubes imported from England from 1868 to 1893 "This gun was made in 1891" Also in this chapter they show pictures of the Birmingham provisional proof mark for Laminated steel. If you look at the ad in the picture of the barrel flats you can see this proof mark. All of this put together made me want to pull the trigger on this one.

I again contacted the seller, cut a deal & now I'm waiting to get the gun in hand. A letter on will be ordered post hast.

On a personal note:

My 58th birthday is this Sunday and this is my present to myself. My feeling is not all gun purchases need to be bargain basement deals. Some of them are simply because the gun talk's to you and you have to do something about it.
Paul Ehlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2015, 10:53 PM   #16
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg conomos View Post
I assumed that meant he got a good deal.

All I meant by "Lucky" was that someone bought what I consider to be a collectible Parker GH specifically because of the barrel steel but also because of the earliest Grade 2 hammerless engraving, the unusual length of the barrels, the 1-frame size, the very nice original condition of the gun (with the exclusion o the stock being cut)... not anything to do with the price.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 07-22-2015, 11:05 PM   #17
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

That seems a pretty reasonable price for a G grade that looks that nice. The receiver looks very nice, the bbl pattern unique. I like it a lot! I have a 1-frame 26" GHE12 and it is a joy to carry, and I paid a LOT more for it than this one went for.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2015, 11:16 PM   #18
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Congratulations Paul. You went through nearly the same channels I did when I first saw this gun on gunbroker.
Please let us know when you receive the gun exactly what that letter stamp is... I'm still convinced it is a L but I'll believe you when you finally see it up close. If it is a D then the right upper quadrant of the D didn't strike very deeply.

Again, Congratulations on a very nice gun.
Unread 07-23-2015, 12:35 AM   #19
Eldon Goddard
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Great find. 27'' is interesting enough but to have possibly the only Laminate Steel GH is something else.
Eldon Goddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2015, 12:57 AM   #20
David Noble
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,076 Times in 382 Posts

Dean, you did the due diligence, why didn't you end up with this jewel?
Or did Paul just beat you to the punch?
David Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to David Noble For Your Post: