Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

Sporting Clays Classic chambers...
Unread 09-23-2009, 03:37 PM   #1
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,603 Times in 984 Posts

Default Sporting Clays Classic chambers...

Every article that I've read and every specification that I've seen concerning the Parker Repro Sporting Clays Classic model states they are factory furnished with 3" chambers, yet every SCC model that I've examined (which is probably less than a handful) are roll-stamped on the left barrel "12-gauge 2 3/4". My SCC is roll-stamped as such, but the chambers do indeed measure 3" long.

If you are an owner of a SCC, how are your chambers marked and do they indeed measure 3" long?

Here's how my SCC is stamped:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Parker Repro SCC 003.JPG (154.4 KB, 51 views)
Greg Baehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2009, 04:06 PM   #2
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,047 Times in 1,727 Posts

Greg,That would be interesting to know. I wonder if it might be a product liability issue?
Unread 09-23-2009, 04:30 PM   #3
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,042 Times in 12,322 Posts

I can understand 3" chambers in a 20 ga. but does anyone really use 3" shells/chambers for sporting clays in a 12??
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2009, 04:57 PM   #4
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

As you know Dean, Repros are steel shot compatible. So, if one were waterfowl hunting one may choose a 3" steel load, no?
Unread 09-23-2009, 06:57 PM   #5
Bindlestiff
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,924 Times in 869 Posts

Question: If all the Parker Repros are steel shot compatible, what was the reason for the "Steel Shot Special" that I seem to remember being marketed? I must admit that I have never seen one or even seen one list for sale or auction. Did any sell?
Robin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2009, 08:17 PM   #6
Joe Bernfeld
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Lewis View Post
Question: If all the Parker Repros are steel shot compatible, what was the reason for the "Steel Shot Special" that I seem to remember being marketed? I must admit that I have never seen one or even seen one list for sale or auction. Did any sell?
I owned one, and the only difference I could detect was the serial #, which began with SS, and the fact that Dunn's sold them. Also they were all 28" bbls with 3" chambers choked IC/Mod. Parker Reproductions made other 28" bbl 3" chambered IC/Mod guns, which were not Steel Shot Specials; I bought one last Spring. I sold the Steel Shot Special because the pistol grip stock it had was made with too much drop and I didn't shoot it well. I think they were sold mostly as a marketing thing. And yes, Robin, no "if" about it, all Parker Repros were designed to be used with steel shot (except full choke).
Joe Bernfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2009, 08:20 PM   #7
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Yes, they sold out the entire edition which was reportedly some 350 guns. I have heard there is/was quite a cult following of these guns by waterfowl hunters in the Grand Junction, TN area with the federal mandate requiring non-tox shot nationwide.

I probably should have qualified my statement of all Parker Reproductions being steel shot compatible as I understand that it is recommended that something looser than a Full choke be used. The Steel Shot Specials were choked .006/.018 and have 3" chambers. My feeling is that SSS's were designed to fill a niche, but also a marketing effort to sell more guns---which isn't a bad thing.
Unread 09-23-2009, 08:45 PM   #8
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,786 Times in 4,718 Posts

All posters are confusing the "Steel Shot Special" with the "Sporting Clays" model of Repro. The Sporting Clays model has 2 3/4" chambers and screw in chokes. The "Steel Shot Special" has 3" chambers and IC and MOD chokes in 28" barrels. The difference between a regular Repro with 28" barrels and a Steel Shot Special with 28" barrels is that the SSS has chokes that are compatible with steel shot in 3" shells. The regular Repro with 28" barrels has 2 3/4" chambers and modified and full chokes. I don't doubt that Joe owned a gun that was not serial numbered as a Steel Shot Special that had SSS features. OK, so he did. No one got too excited about 12 gauge Repros as a concept. In 1986, original short barrel D Grade Parkers were not a hot item, and they still aren't today. Why do we think they only sold a few 12 gauge Repros? How hot are 26" 12 gauge Repros today?

Last edited by Bill Murphy; 09-23-2009 at 08:59 PM..
Bill Murphy is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2009, 09:55 PM   #9
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
All posters are confusing the "Steel Shot Special" with the "Sporting Clays" model of Repro. The Sporting Clays model has 2 3/4" chambers and screw in chokes. The "Steel Shot Special" has 3" chambers and IC and MOD chokes in 28" barrels. The difference between a regular Repro with 28" barrels and a Steel Shot Special with 28" barrels is that the SSS has chokes that are compatible with steel shot in 3" shells. The regular Repro with 28" barrels has 2 3/4" chambers and modified and full chokes. I don't doubt that Joe owned a gun that was not serial numbered as a Steel Shot Special that had SSS features. OK, so he did.
Not all posters are confused Bill. Like I stated in the first sentence of this thread "Every article that I've read and every specification that I've seen concerning the Parker Repro Sporting Clays Classic model states they are factory furnished with 3" chambers." I've also got magazine articles/reviews of the SCC that also state they were furnished with 3" chambers---and I own one that has 3" chambers---yet I have yet to see one so marked.

Here's a pic of the Specs on the back of a Parker Repro brochure, the third listing from the top is the SCC. The SCC's are marked "ISC" on the barrels flats. The second listing from the top is the standard DHE 12-ga. 28" gun which were available choked either IC/M or M/F. The fourth listing from the top is the SSS, which in addition to the .006/.018 chokes and 3" chambers also spec'd to have .740 bores---supposedly this special choke/bore combination was derived to obtain ideal patterns with steel shot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Parker Repro Specs 002.JPG (164.8 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by Greg Baehman; 09-24-2009 at 10:31 PM..
Unread 09-24-2009, 05:27 PM   #10
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
No one got too excited about 12 gauge Repros as a concept. In 1986, original short barrel D Grade Parkers were not a hot item, and they still aren't today. Why do we think they only sold a few 12 gauge Repros? How hot are 26" 12 gauge Repros today?
This of course is true Bill, however; to be fair it would be wise to take under consideration two things:

1. The retail price list of a new 12-ga. DHE Parker Reproduction during this period of time was $2970.00, the then current market price of an average conditioned original 12-ga. DHE Parker Bros. gun was probably less than that.

and

2. Back in the day when new Parker Repros were being marketed, circa mid 1980's to mid 1990's, 26" barrel length shotguns were at the tailend or perhaps even past the tailend of the era when these short-barreled guns were in vogue and therefore were a tough sell---and as you said, it remains so today. If only Tom Skeuse had a crystal ball...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Parker Repro 1989 price list 001.JPG (71.5 KB, 48 views)

Last edited by Greg Baehman; 09-25-2009 at 08:43 AM..