Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Gun Fitting
Unread 05-10-2019, 12:58 PM   #1
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,773 Times in 2,006 Posts

Default Gun Fitting

I don't recall seeing threads on this in the past, but interested in your thoughts on gun fitting, and if it really helped you. Some people are shooters that hunt a little, and others are hunters that shoot a little. I fall into the latter category.
I am a mediocre shot on the sporting clays range, but do quite well bird hunting, and probably should give most of the credit to my dogs for that. Like most of you, I could carry a different gun every day of the week. My guns range from 13 1/2" LOP to 14 1/2" and 2 1/4" to 3" of drop. I tend to favor 16's and 20's, and have recently begun to appreciate those 30" and plus barrels, although 26" was the desirable length back when I started hunting with SXS's back in the '80's.
If you had a gun fitting, did you then have one of your guns custom stocked for you. Did it improve your Shooting?
Unread 05-10-2019, 02:22 PM   #2
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,597 Times in 1,550 Posts

A friend of mine had a fitting in Michigan, and the fitter convinced him that if his guns weren't all stocked to that specific set of dimensions he would never hit another bird. He drank the koolaid aid, and never found a gun that fit him. IMHO, unless you have a very unique set of fitting problems, and or are trying to shoot for the world championship, a fitting and resulting huge expenditures for custom stocks is wasted
Unread 05-10-2019, 03:08 PM   #3
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

I had the Hollywood gun fitted to me when it was restocked. I like a long LOP at 15 inches. It's my go to sporting clays gun. Gunner's gun was also made to my dimensions a go to upland gun for sure.

At the end of the day I think I can adapt pretty well to most anything if the drop isn't severe or LOP to short. On a lot of my guns I'll use a slip on pad for the added length.
Unread 05-10-2019, 03:20 PM   #4
todd allen
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,249 Times in 1,125 Posts

Hunting vs competition is like street racing vs NHRA Drag racing. On the street, you "run what you brung". Same in hunting. A 40-50% average on game is fine. In registered target shooting, it won't get you outta D Class.
Anyone who shoots a dedicated target gun in comp, will have it fitted. Hunting scores are improved by good gun fit, as well, but hunting, especially with classic side by sides ain't about score. Some of my most fun had in the field, were with poorly fitting old relics out of the 1800s.
That said, for the past 20 years or so, I have looked for modern shootable dimensions on my classics.
todd allen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to todd allen For Your Post:
Unread 05-10-2019, 03:54 PM   #5
Brett Hoop
PGCA Member

Member Info

Harold

Well you know I am in the same boat, and I think it a good question. I shot a few rounds while at the Southern with Danny Patton. In short he noticed with my 20/28ga( I shot the 28ga barrels) grouse gun that I was lifting my head for the second clay. He said you know you have hit all the first targets and about half the second ones because I see you lift your head trying to find it. He said maybe that stock is too low at your face.
After that round we shot 16ga, and I used my pheasant gun and shot a much improved score, on the 10,12,16 course. Danny said I wasn't lifting my head with that gun. I took both and had them measured to find 3/16" difference at the face lower for the 28ga, all other points of measurement within 1/8". I am planning to have the stock bent.

I don't know if it will help, but I have it in my mind it will and worth a shot. It's rare we keep score at Sporting Clays as you also know, but with Grouse I keep score. I'd rather center a bird or miss completely than nick'em.
Brett Hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brett Hoop For Your Post:
Unread 05-10-2019, 04:00 PM   #6
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

Brett stock bending has it's own set of issues esp if it's a pistol grip. You have tangs and sears to deal with and the bend doesn't always hold. Try a comb pad before you try bending. I have a lace up one and a Velcro one from RST. Beretta markets a nice gel pad that sticks to the stock but doesn't leave any residue.
Unread 05-10-2019, 04:13 PM   #7
todd allen
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,249 Times in 1,125 Posts

I have an old P grade hammer gun that I put a lace on comb pad on. I would love it to have better dimensions, but am up in the air about having the stock bent.
We're talking a half inch at the heel.
todd allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2019, 05:07 PM   #8
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,773 Times in 2,006 Posts

The trouble with slip on pads, is that as you increase the LOP with the pad, you also increase the DAH. Hate to put a butt pad and cheek pad both on a gun.
Unread 05-10-2019, 05:12 PM   #9
Brett Hoop
PGCA Member

Member Info

C.O.B.

I have a plan for some moleskin to try at Ernie's. Del is who I had measure both guns for comparison and likely who will do the attempt, if I move forward.
Brett Hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2019, 05:38 PM   #10
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,085 Times in 2,380 Posts

Harold, I think if you were to get into shooting registered targets and were shooting for master class then a gun fitting might benefit you. Other than that you would be better off focusing on the fundamentals. I really believe that it is the Indian not the arrow. I enjoy shooting all my guns in their various dimensions; some I shoot better than others but it all boils down to technique. I shot a K32 for years chasing the scorecard around the course and it was fit to me by a master gunsmith at the Ottsville location. If I ever got serious again I'd dig it out the safe. Until then I'm loving shooting these old classics.

Master fitter and BBQ chef Beavertail Spencer and I will be available in the back 40 during the first weekend of June this year for custom fittings, bourbon tastings and general mayhem to assist in your quest for those extra targets on the course. Please register on our website as space is limited and a small deposit will hold your spot. Bring what 'ya got and we'll figure it out.