Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Movie review - They Shall Not Grow Old
Unread 02-06-2019, 05:33 PM   #1
Bindlestiff
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,924 Times in 869 Posts

Default Movie review - They Shall Not Grow Old

I just saw the movie "They Shall Not Grow Old" and I think it was outstanding!

But, just so you understand, I don't think its for everyone. If you are a history buff, interested in our past Wars or are into old photographs, I think you will enjoy it.

It's a two hour movie made up entirely of original WWI film and the original voices from interviews of survivors of "The Great War". The original film has been processed to remove jitter and get the speed correct so it looks like something done today. It was colorized in some cases and parts are even in 3D. They used lip readers to put sound to some of the people too! The original photographers used a wide view and the production here focused in, and panned the scene to make it even better than original. How they improved the original film, which was in some cases so dark that it wasn't worth looking at and brought it back so fine detail like small nuts & bolts are plainly visible is simply amazing.

The use of original material (100% original video and voice) makes this absolutely unique and, to me, extremely interesting.

But after it concludes, stay seated through the lengthy credits at the end because the production methods are explained afterward and that amounts to another 20 - 30 min. The production technique used is as interesting as the film itself.

Based on the very limited attendance, I don't think this will be in theaters very long, so if you have an interest I suggest you see it soon.
Robin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2019, 05:43 PM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,228 Times in 12,374 Posts

I’ve seen trailers and it looks amazing.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2019, 07:35 PM   #3
Eric Estes
PGCA Member

Member Info

Saw it earlier this week and highly recommend it.
Eric Estes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2019, 08:12 PM   #4
Woodcock survey
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,402 Times in 599 Posts

Went to see it Mon. and agree with Robin. It starts with original film and slowly you notice it getting better until the restored film takes over. The theater was occupied by 4 people so I don't think it will have a wide audience. If you are into history you will have seen a lot of the film before but will see it in a totally different way. Well worth it.
Daniel Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel Carter For Your Post:
Unread 02-06-2019, 08:55 PM   #5
Harry Collins
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,757 Times in 732 Posts

I was in Vietnam for Tet in 1968. There were a number of things I took away from this film and in no particular order that applies to WWI and Vietnam veterans. No one cares that you were in the war, what you did, who died, or how you survived. It is best to fit in with society and avoid any personal association with the war. The din of war will drive you crazy. There is no one to talk to about your experiences except other veterans. Family and friends will discount and marginalize you and most anything they say even to be helpful will hurt.
Harry Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Harry Collins For Your Post:
Unread 02-06-2019, 09:04 PM   #6
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

Harry, I think you're in a crowd here that cares, but I'd guess you know that already.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Richard Flanders For Your Post:
Unread 02-06-2019, 09:52 PM   #7
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,828 Times in 2,017 Posts

Going to make an effort to see that one
Unread 02-06-2019, 09:52 PM   #8
Bindlestiff
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,924 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Collins View Post
I was in Vietnam for Tet in 1968. There were a number of things I took away from this film and in no particular order that applies to WWI and Vietnam veterans. No one cares that you were in the war, what you did, who died, or how you survived. It is best to fit in with society and avoid any personal association with the war. The din of war will drive you crazy. There is no one to talk to about your experiences except other veterans. Family and friends will discount and marginalize you and most anything they say even to be helpful will hurt.
I must say I had the same take-a-way! Given that the voice was from a WWI vet and the view was the same as what I experienced in 1970 when I finished my 4 year tour of duty, I took note that he could have been talking about current events and his comments hit home for me?!
Robin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Robin Lewis For Your Post:
Unread 02-06-2019, 10:12 PM   #9
Woodcock survey
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,402 Times in 599 Posts

Robin and Harry some of the commentary spoke to me in the same way. The accounts of their return home and the indifference shown them.
Daniel Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daniel Carter For Your Post:
Unread 02-06-2019, 10:26 PM   #10
Mike McKinney
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I hope this comes out as serious as I mean it. I didn’t serve, I never picked up nerve to join, but then and now I appreciate everyone who has and is serving, without service folks we wouldn’t have a country to be proud of. I get pretty discouraged with all the rhetoric but I’ve never heard or seen evidence of a better place. I appreciate my granddaddy, a WWI vet, and my dad, a WWII vet, and all the vets before and since. I hope I qualify as a patriot but I thank the vets and the folks serving today and have full gratitude for what you have done.
Mike McKinney is offline   Reply With Quote