Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Well, it finally happened
Unread 08-02-2018, 01:53 PM   #1
Matt Valinsky
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Well, it finally happened

My hunting buddy has hung up his spurs. We've been hunting together for so long I can't for sure recall when we started, but it's been awhile. Last year in the U.P. he had a little trouble moving along with the dog but I thought he did just fine.

Last night my wife asked me what now are my plans for this fall. Before I could open my mouth she said, " At your age (71) I'll tell you what your not going to do, drive 12 hours from home with two dogs for two weeks by yourself to heaven knows where. End of story". I guess she might be right maybe this one time.

So it looks like me, Maggie dog and Gus dog will be chasing the State of Ohio "put and take" ditch chickens, the occasional woodcock and perhaps, just perhaps we might hear the last two grouse in the state flush. It would be way to much to ask to actually see them.

Well, I might have lost my hunting buddy but I still have a buddy and I sure in hell hope this isn't the "end of the story", for a long time.
Matt Valinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2018, 02:23 PM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,041 Times in 12,322 Posts

Matt, you just need to find a willing partner to share the two weeks with. Don’t despair - he’s out there somewhere.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 08-02-2018, 02:34 PM   #3
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,307 Times in 4,412 Posts

That is not good. Like Dean says, try to find another hunting partner.
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Don't give up
Unread 08-02-2018, 02:49 PM   #4
davidboyles
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Don't give up

I turn 72 in Dec and I've been at this game since my Dad took me at age 8. I walk , I practice shooting and get goals out there for hunts that are challenging. I try not to hunt by myself anymore but if I have a credit card and my dog and open roads to the mountain states from Tx I'd be on my knees for a kitchen pass!!! Find a new buddy you may be surprised what's out there when you network. PGCA good place to start!!
davidboyles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to davidboyles For Your Post:
Unread 08-02-2018, 02:51 PM   #5
Randy Roberts
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,604 Times in 1,842 Posts

Been there Matt, actually I am there right now with a member of our group that has been going to South Dakota for a number of years. Dementia has been working on his memory for a number of years and last year it was bad, really bad, so bad that he is not making the trip this year. I have watched this man enjoy hunting for over 40 years now, he is 74 years of age and as fit physically as can be. He can still walk the fields all day. Sad to see it happen.
Good luck with your search for that hunting partner. You never know that person may be at the Hoosier SxS Classic this month, see you soon.
Randy G Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2018, 04:00 PM   #6
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,773 Times in 2,006 Posts

Hell Matt, rent a nice cabin and take the wife with you. Make a side trip or 2--like to Iron Mtn. one day and up to the Picture Rocks or Marquette up on Lake Superior another.
Never did get to talk to you about your hunt last year, was only about 30 miles away.
Unread 08-02-2018, 07:08 PM   #7
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,253 Times in 425 Posts

That's a sad situation. I won't have that situation since I prefer to hunt alone most of the time. I guess it goes back to the seed planted in my brain when I started hunting. My grandfather forbid me to take anyone with me and said that the only company a boy needs in the woods is a good dog. I do like an occasional day in the field with someone with the same sensibilitites as myself. But I prefer to go solo most of the time. It's the same with my fly fishing. I do the Rockies for greenback cutthroat trout for five days a couple or three times a year and it is alway solo. For me, being about 10 miles from the nearest human for almost a week is wonderful.
Tom Flanigan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Flanigan For Your Post:
Unread 08-02-2018, 08:58 PM   #8
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,696 Times in 1,234 Posts

Matt, give William (Bill) T. Esham MD a call in Portsmouth, Oh. He will go out with you. Bill was my hunting buddy when we lived in Minford.
allen newell is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2018, 09:03 PM   #9
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

hope you find another hunting partner long as you got a dog with you your in the best company there is...my grand daughters little jack russel follows me and does whatever i do today she helped me cut to yards she rides anything i ride...last year after my heart attack for a while i could not walk very far had no interest in hunting at all...but about 3 months ago suddenly i had the urge to shoot my guns again work some on my old cars and my strengh has come back alot it s tuff growing old....maybe you will have lots of hunts left...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 08-03-2018, 10:22 AM   #10
birddogdoc
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,527 Times in 267 Posts

There's a great story of the late author John C. Phillips, MD who was found dead (while grouse hunting) slumped over his double gun and bird dogs beside him...although I believe he liked to hunt grouse dog less.

Here's a little piece I wrote in 2010 on the Upland Ways blog:

https://uplandways.com/2010/04/15/odysseus-of-groused/

That's the way I hope to go!
Visit Shawn Wayment's homepage!