Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 12-17-2023, 04:02 PM   #21
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,735 Times in 1,252 Posts

John, I have the same problem with my 20 ga Parker Repro with 28 inch barrels
Shoot too Damm high for me and I just can't bring myself after all these years to change the way I naturally bring my guns up to my shoulder etc. It's time to get rid of it and replace it with a 20 or 28 ga that fits me like my other shotguns. I'll be posting it in the for sale section soon. Just need to figure out how to post pics.
allen newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2023, 04:58 PM   #22
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,235 Times in 12,376 Posts

Allen - Get a Repro 28 gauge. I know you probably already have one but you need another in a different configuration.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2023, 06:57 PM   #23
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,735 Times in 1,252 Posts

Dean, my 28 ga Repro has 26 inch barrels. What other configuration are you thinking? I do like the 28..
allen newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2023, 07:35 AM   #24
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,976 Times in 1,126 Posts

The larger front bead definitely will make it shoot lower. I have done this myself on a shotgun that had a plain barrel, and no rib or front "ramp" for the bead. Even though I don't ever focus on the bead it's in my field of unfocused view and I'm aware of it. When this method was suggested to me I had serious doubts but ordered a couple larger beads in the right thread size and tried it anyway. It worked perfectly. Brought the pattern down several inches at 25 yards.
Stan Hillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2023, 09:16 AM   #25
Mike of the Mountain
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,906 Times in 2,688 Posts

If it was mine I’d lower the comb. We’ve seen many entries in the records of guns being returned for new dimensions on the stocks. If it fits you’ll shoot it well. Make it fit and shoot it, that’s what these guns were made for. Last thing I’d recommend is “learning to float the bird”. It’s not a consistent method.

I actually just bought a 32” 12g VH on a 3 frame that was a bit too high. Took the comb down and now that gun turns them into diesel smoke because it shoots where I’m looking.
Mike Koneski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mike Koneski For Your Post:
Visit Mike Koneski's homepage!
Unread 12-18-2023, 09:24 AM   #26
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,615 Times in 1,557 Posts

Ain't gonna go that way. When I bought the gun, it was a 98% piece. I bastardized it by opening up the F/F chokes to IC/Mod. Sure, purists would have my head, but a lot more folk would like to a more flexible configuration IMHO. Financially, your suggestion, I think, would be a bath. Money spend to have the comb lowered, then the deterioration of market value says to me "No ****ing way"
Unread 12-18-2023, 10:23 AM   #27
Mike of the Mountain
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

You can work the comb yourself. Not a difficult job. If you want to shoot it and it does not shoot properly for you, I’d sell it. You already opened the chokes so why not lower the comb. A nice looking gun that doesn’t fit won’t shoot where it needs to and is better off going down the road.
Unread 12-18-2023, 12:39 PM   #28
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,547 Times in 3,106 Posts

Here's there problem with us old guys shooting high stocked guns.
The RedLine is our 'sight line', from eyeball to Bird (black) X

The Black line is the gun's barrel axis. We are looking, (red line)eyeball to the bird along a path which isn't parallel to the barrel axis (black line)

If we 'could learn' to "float the bird", we would look at the imaginary bird at the
Blue X. That's the Green line.

Changing the length of pull, or Pitch Angle will change how the butt contacts our shoulder, but it won't bring that red line down to parallel the black line.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2921.jpg (427.5 KB, 4 views)
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post:
Unread 12-18-2023, 06:25 PM   #29
Mike of the Mountain
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

That is correct Edgar. Floating a bird is like using a sustained lead (maintained lead) on every target. It’s a method that works and sometimes, depending on the shooter and target, it can work well. Sometimes being the key word. You have to be right on, head-hands-eyes working in synch perfectly and seeing the bird-barrel relationship exactly. One day you can crush everything with that method. Next day you may be a bit distracted or tired. Maybe you have eye fatigue and that method just will not hit a bull in the ass with a shovel if you’re standing right next to him. It’s tough to maintain consistency that way.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mike Koneski For Your Post:
Unread 12-19-2023, 07:44 AM   #30
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,976 Times in 1,126 Posts

Floating a bird or target is just unnatural to a shooter. If a person learned to shoot a high patterning shotgun that way, and never picked up another gun, it would still yield inconsistent results. I had a dear friend who shot that way. He was a dove shooter, quail hunter and several of us began shooting sporting clays together. We all wanted desperately to improve our game at sporting, and we did, but Charles plateaued out in the high 60s. One of our friends tried to tell Charles that floating the bird was part of his problem but he adamantly insisted he'd always shot that way and it wasn't an issue. To prove his point he pointed his gun to the top of a pine tree and easily knocked a pine cone off the limb. He looked at his buddy and said "See!". His buddy said "Yep, it works for you, almost 70% of the time.". Charles realized it then, and hung his head.
Stan Hillis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Hillis For Your Post: