Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

410 barrels arrived
Unread 03-15-2012, 09:12 PM   #1
Chuck Heald
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default 410 barrels arrived

UPS brought my CSM 410 barrels today. I tried them on the gun. They are just a little long and don't close completely. They will need fitting.

I ordered my barrels a long time ago. When I ordered, I asked that they leave the chokes full/full. They said they'd mark it on the order, but couldn't guarantee it, since the advertised chokes were Mod/IC. They measure .393 in both. I didn't get a bore measurement yet.

The rib matting is the same pattern as a factory repro, albeit lighter impressed. My new barrels weigh 3 lbs 1 7/8 oz vs the originals at 2 lbs 4 1/8 oz, or a 13 3/4 oz increase in weight. My gun comes in at 6 lbs 8 oz with the new barrels with a slight forward balance. While the weight is higher than I wanted, it feels like it will handle much better than the 5 lb 10 oz it weighs as a 28ga.

More later.
Chuck Heald is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2012, 08:04 AM   #2
Walt Kowalski
Forum Associate

Member Info

Interesting!
It would seem that the smaller gauge barrels "should" be lighter...any idea why they are heavier?
Good luck with the fitting up!
ron belanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2012, 08:22 AM   #3
Chuck Heald
Forum Associate

Member Info

Ron,
The breach end is still the same diameter as the 28ga barrels and the barrels evidently don't taper down quickly to keep the weight down. I'll do some measurements of the O.D., but all that worrying about the forend gap might have driven CSM to hold the outside profile larger. I really don't know. It's definitely a disappointment to me. 14 oz more weight is a bunch on a 5 1/2-5 3/4 lb gun. I was pretty sure they would be heavier, but I was thinking maybe 4-6 oz. It could be a result of my friend who commisioned Remington/CSM build 410 barrels for his vintage 00 28ga who may have specified the weight. The Repro 410 barrels for the 00 frame, he was told are a direct result of his order.

On the otherhand, the gun weight will make for a nice swing.
Unread 03-16-2012, 10:54 AM   #4
Walt Kowalski
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Heald View Post
Ron,
The breach end is still the same diameter as the 28ga barrels and the barrels evidently don't taper down quickly to keep the weight down. I'll do some measurements of the O.D., but all that worrying about the forend gap might have driven CSM to hold the outside profile larger. I really don't know. It's definitely a disappointment to me. 14 oz more weight is a bunch on a 5 1/2-5 3/4 lb gun. I was pretty sure they would be heavier, but I was thinking maybe 4-6 oz. It could be a result of my friend who commisioned Remington/CSM build 410 barrels for his vintage 00 28ga who may have specified the weight. The Repro 410 barrels for the 00 frame, he was told are a direct result of his order.

On the otherhand, the gun weight will make for a nice swing.
With a "helluva" follow through!
Unread 03-16-2012, 11:51 AM   #5
Chuck Heald
Forum Associate

Member Info

Ron,
IMO, the Parker 28ga barrels, even in 28", are very light at the muzzle end. Some may call it a majic wand or whatever. It's clear that they may be great for carry but more weight in the front of a 28ga would improve shooting with most shooters. But, jeeze...14 oz more? Really?

My finished gun will be 6 1/2 lbs. That's about 1/2 lb more than I would have liked.

This will make for a great target gun, but not my idea of my favorite .410 game gun. I may reconsider other gun purchases to get what I'm looking for again.
Unread 03-16-2012, 03:21 PM   #6
Walt Kowalski
Forum Associate

Member Info

Hmmm...so the search for the perfect gun may continue...not necessarily, a bad thing, but nevertheless a process which may or may not ever be completed!
So, what is the 28 that you had the barrels made for?
I only have one repro (20ga) now and I'd love to get a hold of a nice 28 sometime too...and a 16 and a 410 and a couple of Parkers to boot...I may have a connection on a "lost" Parker through my girlfriend's widowed, Aunt as early as later next week when she visits her...I can dream!
I just wonder how many great guns are tucked away somewhere waiting to be found...
Unread 03-16-2012, 05:25 PM   #7
Chuck Heald
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron belanger View Post
Hmmm...so the search for the perfect gun may continue...not necessarily, a bad thing, but nevertheless a process which may or may not ever be completed!
So, what is the 28 that you had the barrels made for?
I only have one repro (20ga) now and I'd love to get a hold of a nice 28 sometime too...and a 16 and a 410 and a couple of Parkers to boot...I may have a connection on a "lost" Parker through my girlfriend's widowed, Aunt as early as later next week when she visits her...I can dream!
I just wonder how many great guns are tucked away somewhere waiting to be found...
Ron,
I agree, the perfect gun is still elusive.

My 28ga is a repro 00 framed 28", straight stocked, splinter, single trigger. It weighs about 5 lbs 10 oz as a 28ga. It's a bit whippy but I shot it pretty well the other day at clays.
Unread 03-17-2012, 08:27 PM   #8
Bill Anderson
PGCA Member

Member Info

Sounds like yet another disappointment with CSMC. I don't why any one tries to carry on business with Tony Galazan. He is nothing but bad news!

Bill
Bill Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2012, 09:07 PM   #9
Pittypatdugan
PGCA Member

Member Info

To Chuck pm sent

I think the final consensus will be the CSM made a great product with the .410 Parker Repro barrels at a great price.

PDD
Pat Dugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2012, 09:38 PM   #10
Bill Anderson
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Dugan View Post
To Chuck pm sent

I think the final consensus will be the CSM made a great product with the .410 Parker Repro barrels at a great price.

PDD
To me, from what I have just read, it is not "great", but grief!!!

Bill
Bill Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote