Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

28 gauge questions
Unread 02-14-2012, 08:43 PM   #1
Eric Stoldt
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default 28 gauge questions

I recently inherited a beautiful 28 gauge parker reproduction. I've been reading some of these threads in the forum and noticed talk about serial numbers. They say mine should start with 28, but mine does not..it is 180688. I also don't know what chokes I have but the barrel is 24 inches long. Where I notice most are either 26 or 28. I believe this gun is an A1. Also, could anyone let me know what the value of this gun could be? The metal is in perfect shape, the wood near perfect. The stock has a few very light impressions in it as it was probably only used once or twice. It has double triggers, pistol grip and splinter 4 piece. Has instractors only, no injectores and quite a bit of engraving including on the barrel, which makes me believe it is an A1 special. I have the case. Everything but paperwork and the oil can. Only has single barrel, no set of barrels.
Eric

DSC04530.jpg

DSC04524.jpg

DSC04525.jpg

DSC04528.jpg

DSC04526.jpg

DSC04521.jpg

DSC04532.jpg
Eric Stoldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2012, 09:11 PM   #2
GH-16
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,304 Times in 445 Posts

Eric,

I believe what you have is a custom up-graded original Parker rather than a reproduction. Your serial # isn't listed in the book, but if you could post some good close-up pictures of the bottom of the barrel flats & the water table of the reciever "the flat area where the barrel flats rest" we could probably see the original markings and identify what your gun started out as. A picture of the top rib marking would help also.

Someone really went all out on the engraving for this up-grade. It's really hard to put a value on an up-grade like yours simply for the fact that you have to find just the right buyer that really likes the custom work. Then it's what ever he's willing to pay. The biggest possible down side to the gun is the possibility of having the barrels cut down to 24" from a longer length. The up-side is if it really is a 28ga & the barrels turn out to be un-cut the value would go up.

You may want to move your post to the general discussion section and more members may see it there.
Paul Ehlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2012, 09:59 PM   #3
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,240 Times in 12,378 Posts

Definitely an upgraded original Parker. The Repros never had the pre-1917 safety.

I just checked and there are surviving Parker Factory records on 180688 to support a PGCA Research Letter.

I would suggest you order a research letter on yor inherited Parker for $100 or better - join the PGCA for $40 and you can then get the PGCA Member's price of $40 for the letter... for a total savings of $20.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote