Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Announcement, Help & Introduction Forums New User Introductions

Notices

Hello from Mississippi
Unread 01-03-2022, 12:48 AM   #1
Ray Dunkum
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Hello from Mississippi

Thanks for the add. the information that is shared on these pages are a wealth of information to Parker owners, collectors and people who appreciate the Parker Shotgun. My Parker collecting began in 1962 at the age of 12 when a AH Grade 16 gauge was left to me in the will of my childhood neighbor . Charles Oscar Petherbridge was the Owner of the house my family rented and with no children nearby I followed Mr. Petherbridge [Pappy] around daily as he maintained the farm he owned in Norfolk County [Chesapeake] Va. My Grandfathers had passed in the 50's and Pappy stepped in. Those days on his farm I will always remember . After his death his Parker sat at the top of my little gun rack, in a special place. Not much info was available, back then until I found Peter Johnson's book on the Parker and realized how special a gift Pappy had left me. Sadly, I went off to the USN in 1968 and our house was broken into and my Parker was stolen. Now lets move forward to 2021 to a Military Collectors show in Tn. and there sets Serial #81205 in very sad shape. It was had for 450 and underneath all the crud and incorrectly browned barrels there sleeps a 30" GH 12gauge. It closes tight on face. Barrels look good inside but an expert will make a future evaluation. A little corrosion near the muzzles. Case coloring is all but gone and the receiver has some light pitting .Wood appears tight but lots of oil. My phone is horrible for pictures but I will get some posted. Gentlemen many of you have Parker expertise far above me. I promise to not bugger up screw heads attack with a torch or use harsh or destructive chemicals and I can disassemble the majority of this weapon without assistance . Still some of the major work I cannot do and will have to seek help. Any suggestions and all advise is welcome . Thanks again for access to this knowledge bank.
Raymond Dunkum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Raymond Dunkum For Your Post:
Unread 01-03-2022, 07:37 AM   #2
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,771 Times in 2,005 Posts

Welcome Raymond. Good luck with the rehabilitation of your new GH. Post some pictures and you will get alot of feedback.
Unread 01-03-2022, 08:08 AM   #3
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

Yes, Welcome!

I’m very sorry about your stolen AH.
Did you ever record its serial number?

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 01-03-2022, 12:02 PM   #4
Ray Dunkum
PGCA Member

Member Info

Unfortunately, it was not recorded. Break-ins in the 50's and 60's were very rare and I remember us leaving the house and no doors were locked. Not today. I think the Parker Books are keyed off the weapons serial number and not by name. It sure would be interesting if Pappy's name came up in the order book.
The Following User Says Thank You to Raymond Dunkum For Your Post:
Unread 01-03-2022, 12:03 PM   #5
Ray Dunkum
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thank you for the welcome and pictures will come in the near future.
Unread 01-03-2022, 06:05 PM   #6
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,925 Times in 1,410 Posts

Too bad you don't have the serial number. According to The Parker Story, there were a total of 24 AH's made with Acme steel barrels of all lengths and 10 made with Damascus steel barrels of all lengths however there may be a few more due to missing order and stock books. Unfortunately our order books can only be searched by serial number, not name. I did check the archived research letters for the name Petherbridge but didn't find any letters with that name on it.
Chuck Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chuck Bishop For Your Post:
Unread 01-04-2022, 12:05 AM   #7
Ray Dunkum
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanks for the look see on Petherbridge in the Parker letters. Some day I may be able to associate a serial number to his name.