Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 05-30-2013, 10:30 AM   #211
DeAn Durham
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
That's a great little song Dee. I really like the sentiment in those words... even the part about the shot-up sign. Probably a lot of us older guys have done a little errant shooting at one time or other. Just wish I had done mine with my Granddaddy's gun.
Hahahaha! When I heard it, I felt it was a fitting tune. Plenty of us can relate even if we didn't shoot our Granddaddy's gun. And although I've never met any of you, I get this grin picturing y'all running around being typical boys and being mischievous...
Dee Durham is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2013, 10:54 AM   #212
Carl Erickson Jr
PGCA Member

Member Info

Dee: You are lucky! You have inherited a top grade Parker! I have and treasure my grandfathers gun, a pedestrian Crescent.
As for what to do with it, I suggest that you have the gun repaired, that is made shootable. The stock, while it looks bad, is probably repairable so that the gun can be used. On the LC Smith collectors site there are pictures of stocks that have been repaired. While I an not a stock professional I have taken several shotguns in similar shape and made them decent looking shooters. My goto sporting clays gun is such a gun. As for the metal work and missing parts, I can see how they can be repaired without too much difficulty, including the ugly hex head cap screws, by a competent gunsmith.
Save your money get it repaired, shoot it , and pass it on! Getting it restored would have it lose all of its family value.
Carl Erickson Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Carl Erickson Jr For Your Post:
Unread 05-30-2013, 11:33 AM   #213
chris dawe
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,784 Times in 602 Posts

I got a charge from that too Dee,thanks...I still got my Grandfathers Stevens single 12 ,at no more than 5lbs kicks like a mule don't begin to describe it !

I can remember Dad shooting an old stray Tom cat who courting his stable cat ...when the smoke cleared and he recovered from a couple stutter steps all he was holding was the buttstock and forend!...shes all together now and restored ,but man did we laugh at that ,I must've been about 10 and can remember falling to my knees with the look on the old mans face .
chris dawe is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chris dawe For Your Post:
Unread 05-30-2013, 11:42 AM   #214
DeAn Durham
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris dawe View Post
I got a charge from that too Dee,thanks...I still got my Grandfathers Stevens single 12 ,at no more than 5lbs kicks like a mule don't begin to describe it !

I can remember Dad shooting an old stray Tom cat who courting his stable cat ...when the smoke cleared and he recovered from a couple stutter steps all he was holding was the buttstock and forend!...shes all together now and restored ,but man did we laugh at that ,I must've been about 10 and can remember falling to my knees with the look on the old mans face .
I just got the biggest giggle out of that myself!!!! Hahahaha! I'm glad you shared that. I now have the scene palying in my head and keep giggling. I can't imagine the gut busting laugh coming from you at that age. I'm curious what was the look toward you when he knew you were laughing at him? Was it "boy you better get on down the road" or did he snicker at himself as well? That is too funny!
Unread 05-30-2013, 12:19 PM   #215
Fishtail
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Wow....that gun is in amazingly poor condition. Rode hard and put away wet is an understatement .
greg conomos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2013, 04:45 PM   #216
chris dawe
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,784 Times in 602 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Durham View Post
I just got the biggest giggle out of that myself!!!! Hahahaha! I'm glad you shared that. I now have the scene palying in my head and keep giggling. I can't imagine the gut busting laugh coming from you at that age. I'm curious what was the look toward you when he knew you were laughing at him? Was it "boy you better get on down the road" or did he snicker at himself as well? That is too funny!
Yeah, it took a lot to spark the old man,but his eyes were big as plates...we all had good chuckle at it afterwards (all except the old Tom that is ).

I think the gun can be put right,you never know what the future holds
chris dawe is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chris dawe For Your Post:
Unread 05-30-2013, 05:29 PM   #217
DeAn Durham
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris dawe View Post
Yeah, it took a lot to spark the old man,but his eyes were big as plates...we all had good chuckle at it afterwards (all except the old Tom that is ).

I think the gun can be put right,you never know what the future holds
What an awesome story and memory to have! Bet you relive that day every time you look at that shotgun hehehe

I'm sure it can be and one day I will eventually look into getting something done, but for now I feel just blessed and grateful to have it and be able to share this journey with you guys. I am well aware that it's in terrible shape and know it's going to take a lot of time and effort to get it right.
Unread 12-21-2014, 12:09 AM   #218
DeAn Durham
Forum Associate

Member Info

I just wanted to say hello to everyone and I hope that you all have a very Merry Christmas! Miss chatting with everyone!
Unread 12-21-2014, 04:48 AM   #219
winplumber
PGCA Member

Member Info

Well then stick around ! Do you still have your Parkers gun / hound ?
Steve Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Huffman For Your Post:
Unread 12-21-2014, 07:35 AM   #220
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,356 Times in 12,409 Posts

Merry Christmas to you and yours too Dee.

Hope everything is going well for you.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote