Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Man's Best Friend

Notices

Unread 03-10-2019, 03:03 PM   #21
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,469 Times in 3,042 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dallas View Post
I'm not Dean, but... I've been a Lab/Springer guy fro the last 30 years or so. To me, the difference is that flushers/retrievers understand that hunting is a team sport. Pointers/setters, not so much
John, I wish you could be with me when one of my Gordons (true of all 10 that have owned us for over 30 years) stops and looks back at me for direction while we are hunting. I've had them come in to check on us when we were unable to cross a creek quickly, or if one of us stumbles or falls. If that's not a team player, I don't know what is.

However you characterize breeds, the one thing that is so wonderful about a hunting dog is the bond that you as the hunter can create with your pup.

If humans were more like dogs, there would be a lot less trouble in this world.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 03-10-2019, 03:06 PM   #22
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,469 Times in 3,042 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Tatman View Post
Here are some photos of Beau, my ten month old setter pup. He is a grandson of Shadow Oak Bo, and this guy is built for speed! Beautiful tri-color fella. He is a big boy, taller than most of the setters that I've been around. Goes about 60 pounds.

He has taken to training very well. He is totally gun-broke, holds points steady to wing and shot, and retrieves OK for a young dog. He is whistle-broke, and we've started on Whoa-breaking. My wife is happy that he is doing very well at heel. Coming from a field dog like Shadow Oak Bo, he's a big runner and he has a ton of energy, so we get a big run most every morning on the farm, and then a big play time in the evening at our local dog park.

Rebel Ridge is a local guy's private kennel here in Kentucky, and I have been working Beau out quite a bit at Gasper River Kennels (Setters and GSP's), also here in south central Kentucky.

I love this guy, and can't wait for this fall's grouse season.

Dave
Sorry, Dave...I got off the thread. Your pup is a beautiful one. I especially like the coloring of his head. It's always nice to have a beautiful dog and gun to look at when the hunting is slow.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post: