Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 03-23-2016, 10:20 AM   #41
Eric Johanen
Forum Associate

Member Info

I load fiber the same way as William except, I use a thin nitro card (.070) over the fiber to cut down on shot embedding in the fiber. I rather like to have shot in the air opposed to traveling downrange with the fiber filler.
Eric Johanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2016, 11:35 AM   #42
Kirk Mckinney
Forum Associate

Member Info

William sounds like a good ideal with the card. Im putting together a order for supplies and will definitely put fiber and cards on it. I plan on having my fiber wad shells checked by Keith at Precision Reloading. I will share my findings and recipe afterwards ( about a month out) I know its not necessary to have ballistics checks , but that's just how I am . I like to know exactly where I am.
Kirk Mckinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2016, 01:04 PM   #43
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

Back when I shot brass shells I did some patterning when I had a problem at a shoot not hitting anything. Others may have different results. It seemed if I used two 1/2" cushion wads I got a hole in the center of the pattern, and when using the .070 OS card instead of the .025 card I got a good size hole in the center of the pattern. I could use one 1/2" cushion wad and half of another and still be ok. I think too much cushion would make them fly through the shot from behind, and too thick a OS card would stay in the pattern. I have a 600jr in 10 and 12ga. Also a Supersizer with 10 and 12ga collets. It was given to me with the 12ga collet and I bought the 10ga collet but don't remember why, I've never had to use it, the jrs with the rings work just fine.
Visit Paul Harm's homepage!
Unread 03-23-2016, 01:24 PM   #44
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Paul I use fiber cushion wads in three applications. 10 G use a 16 G fiber inside a 1 5/8 oz plastic shot cup to cut shot weight to either 1 1/4 or 1 1/8 oz. Takes about half of a 1/2 inch fiber = 1/4 inch fiber cushion. 16 G about half of a 28 G fiber in the plastic cup to cut shot weight down to 7/8 oz. Either load patterns very well with no holes. However 1/4 inch is not a lot of fiber wad.

12 G 2 1/2 inch black powder loads, powder then nitro card then 12 G fiber cushion. Like the others it does not take much fiber to get the stack height right. Black powder very bulky helps fill the space. 12 with Black I am using Federal Paper hulls that are in poor condition around the mouth, have to use thin OS wad or the crimps leak pellets. Never patterned the BP loads.

Common thread is thin fiber wads I would guess thick ones do open patterns. But that's just a guess. I think my 10 G 600 JR problem is more Cheddite hull than press.

William
William Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2016, 03:50 PM   #45
Mike of the Mountain
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,906 Times in 2,688 Posts

Kirk, Ballistic Products Inc is a great source for data and components.

http://www.ballisticproducts.com

I use a lot of their products and shoot a lot of RST shells. Get their Advantages Reloading Manual. It has a TON of data especially for Cheddite, Rio and Fiocchi hulls. They've added more data for Rem and Win hulls in the latest manual.
Mike Koneski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Koneski For Your Post:
Visit Mike Koneski's homepage!
Unread 03-24-2016, 10:58 AM   #46
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

Mike, BPI is great IF you're using their wads. Just about any after market wad company or powder company list on the internet all the data you need. And wads like Claybusters are about half the price of BPI wads.
William, know what you mean. I've been reloading BP and nitro since the 1970's. I use to shoot a lot of trap. Twice a year we'd go down to Friendship [ the national muzzle loading range ] and shoot pistol all day and trap at night. Back then Gary Butler owned Circlefly. In 2000 I joined the local club and the wife and I shot long bows, muzzle loading, SASS, and then shotgun. I took over the shotgun venue nine years ago and started a SxS Shoot twice a year. I went from 1 1/8oz loads to 3/4oz in the 12ga, except for BP loads - they're 1oz. Three of us do three shoots a year close by and always shoot BP. This year I may use one of my 10ga guns with smoke. Now, if only Brad would get in gear and get my Parker 10ga converted to a 8ga. Maybe then I could hit a few more targets.
Unread 03-24-2016, 01:11 PM   #47
Mike of the Mountain
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,906 Times in 2,688 Posts

Yes, BPI is more pricey than everyday wads. However, they are ideal for loading short shells. Their short plastic wads work great in my 2 1/2" 16 and 12 gauges. I also use Downrange wads and the usual Rem and Win, but I experiment a lot and do like varying my loads.
Mike Koneski is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Mike Koneski's homepage!
Unread 03-26-2016, 02:42 PM   #48
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

I use 12ga Claybuster wads for 1 1/4 but load 3/4 or 7/8oz of shot in my 2 1/2" shells. The shorter cushion height does the trick. Don't know about 16 2 1/2 though. I'm sure Downrange wads in 12ga would be the same.
Unread 03-27-2016, 07:53 PM   #49
Phil Haycock
Forum Associate

Member Info

I have been reloading Rio ( Cheditte) hulls cut to 2 1/2" with 15 gr of 700x, Win or Cheddite primers, 3/4 oz. shot and either the BPI Piston Skeet Light or SRC (for longer range shots) for a couple of years with good results. No spacer is needed to achieve proper column height. I haven't sent them to Armbrust yet but believe they are ~1150 fps and ~5 - 6k psi range. True the BPI wads are more expensive but for the volume of shooting I do (50 - 100/wk) I don't mind. BTW - I use the MEC 600 with a short kit and a super sizer but the MEC sizes hulls fine.
Phil Haycock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2016, 04:00 PM   #50
Kirk Mckinney
Forum Associate

Member Info

Hey guys.... just ordered mec sizemaster from cabelas.com $236. but it doesnt show the discounted price till you put it in the cart. Anyway I wanted to see if everyone uses mec charge bars or the universal adjustable bar. The adjustable looks like the way to go. anyone with experiance with it???
Kirk Mckinney is offline   Reply With Quote