Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Portuguese Pointer
Unread 07-10-2012, 10:49 AM   #1
jim garrett
PGCA Member

Member Info

Post Portuguese Pointer

I have seen many posts showing Labs and Brittneys; however I bet no one knows what THE original bird dog looks like...look up and read about the Portuguese Pointer. They are THE original pointing hunting dog and they can be traced back over 1000 years. See if you can trace any other breed back that far. Obviously I have one or I wouldn't be posting this. Jim Garrett
jim garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2012, 11:05 AM   #2
Drew Hause
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 3,793 Times in 1,252 Posts

Possibly
http://myrnash0.tripod.com/shaarhaga...ndogs/id3.html
Drew Hause is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Drew Hause's homepage!
Unread 07-10-2012, 04:01 PM   #3
jim garrett
PGCA Member

Member Info

That is a very interesting breed. I guess the Dingo is also an ancient breed; however, you probably can't go back into Australian history past 300 years.I will have to read up more on the Caanan dog. I also saw your website re damascas barrels. I am in the porcess of trying to re-brown 2 sets of bbls now, one of them being a set of Parker bbls. I have everything including my ferric chloride but I'm not sure of my dilution strength for etching purposes. If you have suggestions, I will be grateful. Thanks for your thread. Jim Garrett
Unread 07-10-2012, 04:52 PM   #4
Drew Hause
Forum Associate

Member Info

Did you see Tom Flanigan's tutorial Jim?
https://docs.google.com/document/edi...sUhVKz_9HMDdv4
The Following User Says Thank You to Drew Hause For Your Post:
Unread 07-10-2012, 05:09 PM   #5
jim garrett
PGCA Member

Member Info

Drew, I had not seen it until I just pulled it up and I am now copying it.It looks most helpful and I appreciate your refering me to it. I talked to Dennis Potter of the ACGG at the Southern SideX Side in North Carolina in April and he gave me some good information. I have built a number of rifles and have both hot and cold blued them; however, browning is a new game for me. If you were at the Southern in April I probabley saw you. I am on the cover of the latest Parker Pages on the Parker team. I'm the tall guy, second from the left on the back row. Thanks for your help! Jim Garrett
Unread 07-10-2012, 05:40 PM   #6
Chuck Heald
Forum Associate

Member Info

Jim,
Parker barrels were black and white damascus. I had success in using a commercial rust blue to get about 3 rustings and boiling, and dry cardings in the normal rust blue manner, then mixed a solution of 6 parts water to 1 part circuit board etch (circuit board etch is about 40-45% ferric chloride strength). I dowsed the rust blued barrel in the diluted solution above for 10 seconds and then flushed with running water while wet carding with 0000 steel wool. Repeat the rust blue (rust, boil, dry card) a couple times and then do the ferric chloride dilution in a 10 second dwell and wet card as before. Repeat as many times as needed for the desired finish.

I will say that more dilution of the circuit board etch may be desireable. Maybe 7 or 8 to 1.
Chuck Heald is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2012, 05:48 PM   #7
jim garrett
PGCA Member

Member Info

I am going to brown a Prussian Charles Daly 10 gauge and I was also going to brown my Parker 12 gauge hammergun; however I didn't know that the originals were blue and white. I know about the boiling process as I have been known to boil steel at 2:00-3:00 in the morning to stay on schedule. I shot the Parker hammergun at the Southern but I am looking for one with better barrels. The inside of mine is pitted somewhat and I don't want to hone because I don't know how much I would have to relieve. If you know of one, me know. Jim let
Unread 07-10-2012, 05:59 PM   #8
Drew Hause
Forum Associate

Member Info

I've not been able to make The Southern for several years Jim; it always seems to coincide with a Guatemala trip, as does Flatwater
http://www.picturetrail.com/homePage...edicalmissions
Dr. Gaddy and Dale Edmonds were pioneers (in this country), and it's exciting to see all the artists doing beautiful refinish work now!
http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/...496#Post284496
http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/17428644
Unread 07-10-2012, 07:46 PM   #9
Chuck Heald
Forum Associate

Member Info

Jim,
I've heard the Daly enthusiasts say that Daly's were black/white as well. Probably best to go to the doublegunshop.com site and start a thread about the original finish of both guns. I know the hammerless Parkers of the 190x timeframe were black/white damascus. as I have two.
Chuck Heald is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2012, 07:56 PM   #10
jim garrett
PGCA Member

Member Info

Your time is better spent in Guatemala and Honduras. I have several Dr. friends that have made mission trips to South and Central America and they were unanimous in their opinion that both Couth and Central America are fertile missions fields. I commend you for you work. I mentioned that I had spoken with Dennis Potter in North Carolina, he is shown in the pictures at the Trinidad damascas refinishingf seminar. He is the guy playing the guitar.I am an associate member of the American Custom Gunmakers Guild and that is where I met Dennis.He has encouraged me to submit for regular membership but I am getting too old...it's better than the alternative.