Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Young Dog Old Parker
Unread 01-01-2012, 09:56 AM   #1
tom tutwiler
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Young Dog Old Parker

A very dear friend of mine sprung for a New Years Eve preserve hunt for myself and another hunting buddy today. We have hunted together for over 30 years, from Maine to Montana and points in between. Economics have limited us these days to far less traveling, but none the less we still get together to reflect on days gone by, slap a few triggers and chase some flushing dogs around.

I decided to leave my old Golden (Abby) behind as she is pushing 12 (about 2 weeks away) and just take my 2 year old Golden (Gracie). Gracie is a relative newcomer to the hunting sport and unfortunately she's only had a chance to hunt Grouse and Woodcock. Today was her first attempt at field hunting because she's always been in the woods chasing Grouse/Woodcock.

Give the preserve credit, we had a nice area pretty much to ourselves. Good thick cover and the birds flew well. Dogs (two Springers and my Gracie did well and we found 14 out of the 15 birds put out.

I had decided to take the oldest bird gun I had which was a Parker 16 gauge CH made in 1898 (s/n 89582) and originally sold to C. F. Wheal in Cleveland Ohio. Shells were light RST size 7 7/8 ounce loads.

Can say with absolute clarity I missed the first 3 birds that got up. Didn't even draw a feather. Was rethinking my choice of guns (I'd only shot this gun about 4 times since I had it) until finally one bird came out and I finally ended the slump. After that I did pretty well except for one rooster that flushed at the end of range (I still gave him the two barrel salute). That bird made the mistake of flying into the nearby woods and landing. Got Gracie in tow and followed up and she hit the track and was gone. Saw the bird flush way ahead as I was hustling to keep up. Reeled Gracie back in and then we proceeded on. Gracie once ahead got ahead of me and flushed the rooster and it made the cardinal sin of quartering back towards me where I was able to drop it.

Anyway, had a great time with good friends and some fancy looking poultry (three of which are now in the freezer). This isn't grouse or woodcock hunting for sure (which is my norm), but the dog had a blast and I got a chance to shoot something which normally resides in the gun safe. A few pictures are attached, and btw, Happy New Year to all:

tom tutwiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2012, 10:21 AM   #2
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,796 Times in 3,967 Posts

good storey...we never know whats gonna happen on a hunt and thats the fun part...some times we laugh and sometimes were angry and sometimes we wanna cry...as you said nothing like getting together with hunting buddies...nice gun and a fine looking pup....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2012, 10:36 AM   #3
tom tutwiler
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jent P Mitchell III View Post
Hello Tom, That old 16 gauge Parker CH is looking a lot better today. Is that butt stock the original one that you were able to save and repair or a replacement ??? Happy New Year To You, Jent
Jent that is indeed the original Stock. David T. from Maine was able to repair it with no problem. Took a while (and more then a few C notes), but I was quite pleased to have it back in my hands. It performed better then I did yesterday until I got the hang of shooting a gun with a tad less LOP then I'm used to.
tom tutwiler is offline   Reply With Quote