Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Cutts Compensator
Unread 10-01-2013, 08:14 PM   #1
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,608 Times in 3,431 Posts

Default Cutts Compensator

Over the years I've messed with Cutts and Kolar Comps a bit but always with birdshot .

At the moment I have a nice old Remington Model 48 16 gauge vent rib that has a Cutts on it with the "spreader" choke . As well as I can remmember the spreader choke was considered the same as say skeet or improved cylinder .

Tommorrow I will try some factory Federal #1 Buck loads in it for pattern at 25 yards . But I also wanted to try Winchester , Remington and Federal "Foster " slugs in it for POI at 25 and possibly 50 yards .

So my question is this , has anyone heard of any reason one shouldn't shoot slugs thru a Cutts ?
I could understand someone saying don't do it with the long full and fullerer chokes .
Unread 10-01-2013, 08:15 PM   #2
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I plan to give my Kerner side by side a try with factory buck and Foster slugs at 25 yards as well tommorrow .
Unread 10-01-2013, 08:26 PM   #3
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,624 Times in 1,558 Posts

My understanding is that conventional slugs perform best out of loose chokes - say I.C.
John Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2013, 08:44 PM   #4
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dallas View Post
My understanding is that conventional slugs perform best out of loose chokes - say I.C.
This is true I had a pair of older Remington 870 and 1100 Brushmaster slug guns and both were IC by measuring . And both would shoot nice groups at 50 yards from the bench with iron sights .

I was more worried about the slug possibly tipping or whatever inside the Cutts chamber .
Unread 10-01-2013, 08:47 PM   #5
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I shot a bunch of Federal 10 gauge factory slugs in a pair of Ithaca MAG-10's I had and a Browning BPS . The BPS did nicely with the IC screw in choke at 50 yards . And as one would expect the pair of Ithaca's with the 32" full choke pipes not so good .

All three did okay with buckshot at 25 and 50 yards .
Unread 10-01-2013, 10:13 PM   #6
Twoatlow8
PGCA Member

Member Info

I think it is a good test to see if it was attached properly!
Scott Janowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2013, 10:40 PM   #7
David Noble
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,112 Times in 394 Posts

I would think that it would be safer and perhaps more accurate to remove the choke tube from the Cutts body when shooting slugs. If you do use the choke tube, I would not use a sabot type slug. Over the years I have seen too many blown Cutts. Most were blown by plastic shot cup wads. The wads would get stuck between the muzzle and choke tube. The next shot would blow the end off the Cutts body. These type chokes fell from favor after the advent of fingered shot cup wads. The Poly Choke system prospered in this era until the screw in chokes appeared.
I have seen a few blown Poly's, but I believe most were blown by slugs or large buckshot being fired with the Poly cranked down to extra full.
David Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2013, 11:23 PM   #8
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Noble View Post
I would think that it would be safer and perhaps more accurate to remove the choke tube from the Cutts body when shooting slugs. If you do use the choke tube, I would not use a sabot type slug. Over the years I have seen too many blown Cutts. Most were blown by plastic shot cup wads. The wads would get stuck between the muzzle and choke tube. The next shot would blow the end off the Cutts body. These type chokes fell from favor after the advent of fingered shot cup wads. The Poly Choke system prospered in this era until the screw in chokes appeared.
I have seen a few blown Poly's, but I believe most were blown by slugs or large buckshot being fired with the Poly cranked down to extra full.
I already have guns for sabot slugs .

I had a Model 12 that was made in the mid 50's . It's what was refferred to as a DeLuxe Field . Little better wood , checkering . Anyway when I got it the gun had a poly . I shot quite a few loads of Remington factory Hevi Shot 00 Buck using the full choke setting with no ill effects and very nice patterns out to about 40 yards .

To be honest I'd shoot this Remington 48 alot more except for the fact that it's an autoloader and 16 gauge hulls are kinda hard to come by . And it is a PITA to bend over and pick up hulls on the skeet and trap field !
Unread 10-01-2013, 11:26 PM   #9
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Janowski View Post
I think it is a good test to see if it was attached properly!
If I had to make a guess I'd say this Cutts has been on my 48 for well over 40 years . I would also be willing to bet the guys that put them on back then "probably" did a better job then a gunsmith now . And thats just based on the fact that they were fairly common back then but one rarely see's one now unless it's a Kolar derivative . So a gunsmith then should have had a heck of alot more practice then a guy now .
Unread 10-02-2013, 12:08 PM   #10
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,796 Times in 3,967 Posts

i have a model 12 winchester with a cutts full choke on it..it does pattern really good with bird shot but ive never shot slugs or buck shot in it...you will have to tell us how youre gun does with the slugs i bet it shoots ok...it should do ok out to 50 yards or better in my opinion.. charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote