Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

Teal season
Unread 09-15-2012, 06:24 PM   #1
William Stevenson
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Teal season

Teal season opened today here in South Louisiana. My son and grandsons drove in to the marsh house last evening to join my wife and I. There were 6 shooters and all limited in about 40 minutes. I shot my 28 Parker, a wand like little gun with 26 inch cylinder and improved modified barrels. We have 3 blinds on the ranch with 3-4 doz decoys at each. Our shots are at 25 to 30 yards so light gauge guns work well. The dogs went to work and retrieved all birds with no confusion due to opening day. We did lose one duck to an alligator, saw him gulping the bird down, I guess it's like a tax by Mother Nature. I plan to shoot my Parker .410 in the morning, it's actually a little heavier than the 28 with 26 inch cylinder and improved cylinder barrels. We had such a nice time I thought I would share it with the Parker forum. Bill
William Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to William Stevenson For Your Post:
Unread 09-15-2012, 08:41 PM   #2
GH-16
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,304 Times in 445 Posts

Congrat's on a great opening day!

Loved the part of the good dog work until you mentioned the alligator gulping down a duck.

Don't you worry about the dog's & gators? Being from Colorado I can't imagine one of my furry hunting buddies being gulped down by a gator.
Paul Ehlers is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2012, 09:13 PM   #3
William Stevenson
Forum Associate

Member Info

One of the reasons we place the decoys nearby and shoot close in, is that we have no long retrieves and if a gator gets after a dog we are within shotgun range to stop it. After cool weather sets in the gator problem goes away and we set up a bit further out for big ducks. It's gator season now and if we have to kill one, I have the tags issued for the ranch so we can harvest it legally. Bill
Unread 09-15-2012, 09:24 PM   #4
William Stevenson
Forum Associate

Member Info

And yes, I do worry about the dogs and alligator mix. We take most of the big gators early in the alligator season. I got an eleven and a half foot Bull gator last year and some ten footers so we deal with mostly five and six foot gators during the Teal season. Bill
Unread 09-15-2012, 09:46 PM   #5
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,794 Times in 3,967 Posts

nice shootin..loved the mother nature tax law..id worry about the dogs too but sounds like yall have it figured out how to deal with mister gator...how bout some pictures for us old boys that gator eatin that duck would have been something... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2012, 10:11 PM   #6
William Stevenson
Forum Associate

Member Info

Charlie, I don't know how to post photos, I'll e-mail some to you of you want to post them for me. Bill
Unread 09-16-2012, 10:25 AM   #7
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

im in the same boat posting pictures bill..but im sure DEAN ROMING will be glad to do it for us...send the pictures to me anyway and ill try...i envy anybody living that close to a duck paradise...ive took a lot of squirls with my 410 but never a duck... charlie
Unread 09-16-2012, 04:14 PM   #8
William Stevenson
Forum Associate

Member Info

Charlie, I'll need your e-mail to send the photos. Mine is: stevensonjr@mindspring.com. Thanks, Bill
Unread 09-16-2012, 08:31 PM   #9
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

mine is charlie8guage@yahoo.com now if we can just get a picture of that gator and duck..hope you take a few with the 410 s and ducks.... charlie
Unread 09-16-2012, 09:01 PM   #10
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

Gators and Ducks oh my. I can't imagine having to chase a gator away from my retreiver. in the Upper Pennisula more than one Bear dog has fallen prey to Wolves. When I Grouse hunt there I always carry my 45ACP what with the Wolves and Bears. I can just imagine Daisy chaseing a cub up a tree and I'd have to deal with mama bear
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote