Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

Balance on 28 Gauge Repro 26" barrels
Unread 08-01-2012, 03:06 PM   #1
tom tutwiler
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Balance on 28 Gauge Repro 26" barrels

Are these balanced well? I'm considering a purchase and very much like the 28" barrels, but sure don't want to go with Full/Mod chokes (which is what was made (I think). If I want to go with what I'd describe as more bird hunting type chokes I'm looking at 26" barreled guns. Accordingly, are those guns going to be muzzlelight as a rule?

PS. I know I can't shoot a muzzlelight gun (I've tried), but am wondering whether those fine Japanese makers actually balanced the guns (boring out buttstock for example) so they would swing as they should. PS. I normally shoot pistol grip stock guns better then straightstocked guns. However with a 26" barrel and pistolgrip stock I'd think those guns would be even more muzzlelight as compared the english stocked versions. Appreciate any and all responses of course.
tom tutwiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2012, 04:20 PM   #2
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

Tom, I have a 26" 28 gauge Repro with a pistol grip stock. I find this gun very muzzle light and have to be mindfull of this to keep the gun swinging.I find if I hold at the end of the forend the gun swings a bit better.
Unread 08-01-2012, 04:31 PM   #3
Setter Man
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,636 Times in 634 Posts

I have a 28 with straight stock, dt, btfe and two sets of barrels (26" and 28"). Honestly, I don't notice the difference between the barrels at all, especially in the grouse woods. What I can tell you is the 26" barrels (.004/.006) are extremely effective on grouse, woodcock and the skeet field.
Jay Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2012, 05:08 PM   #4
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,236 Times in 12,377 Posts

As long as you remain cognizant that you will be carring a light gun - quite possibly the lightest double gun you own - the gun will swing as an extension of your body and mind. I have a couple of those with 26" barrels.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2012, 06:35 PM   #5
10 bore
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,457 Times in 805 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
As long as you remain cognizant that you will be carring a light gun - quite possibly the lightest double gun you own - the gun will swing as an extension of your body and mind. I have a couple of those with 26" barrels.
Dean i can see the body ,but the mind?? i just don't see it
scott kittredge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2012, 06:38 PM   #6
tom tutwiler
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks for the comments thus far. I have a 5 lb 10 oz Fox A grade 16 gauge with 26" barrels. Gun is dynamite on early Woodcock when they are close but truly doesn't swing with a darn because its muzzlelight. Accordingly, I end up carrying it in Maine during the early season but it quickly moves to the back of the closet when the vegetation thins out and shots become longer and require a more sustain lead.
tom tutwiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2012, 06:53 PM   #7
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott kittredge View Post
Dean i can see the body ,but the mind?? i just don't see it

Let's see, how can I explain this....

The mind has to be tuned to the fact that you are carring a light gun which requires a bit more focused control than a heavier gun might require. So... your mind controls your body with the underlying concept (the knowledge) that the 'instrument' you are weilding might require a bit more concerted control.

I prefer a lighter gun and the barrel length doesn't make any difference in the way I shoot. I've taken fast flying grouse with IMP/MOD 26" barrels at 43 yards and at 4 paces. Be "one" with your gun.
Unread 08-01-2012, 07:26 PM   #8
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,615 Times in 1,557 Posts

4 paces? How did that one taste?
John Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2012, 08:30 PM   #9
Steve Hodges
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,215 Times in 896 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dallas View Post
4 paces? How did that one taste?
I suspect it didn't
Daniel Webster once said ""Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoemakers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but in the mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men."
Stephen Hodges is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2012, 10:28 PM   #10
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Frankly, I strafed it across the back as it sped past me at eye level at about a 90 degree angle. The top of the grouse was about shredded but the breasts and legs were unscathed. The branches of the bushes that took the shot charge looked like they all sprouted little tufts of fluff in about a 12 inch circle and well back into the bush. It was quite a lucky shot really... I'm not really that good on grouse or grouse-like clays