Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Announcement, Help & Introduction Forums PGCA Member Questions & Announcements

Notices

Unread 12-20-2023, 02:14 PM   #21
Hammer Gun
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,680 Times in 1,644 Posts

Allen, Is the one person that got me collecting hammer guns, once in every ones lifetime you meet a man like Allen, I still have a jar of his Maple Syrup We had a long talk about four weeks ago, about his condition and how he intended to go forward, You can rest easy now my friend, Prayers to his wife and family Gary
Gary Carmichael Sr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Gary Carmichael Sr For Your Post:
Unread 12-20-2023, 02:25 PM   #22
todd allen
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,277 Times in 1,134 Posts

I remember him from back when we put on a couple of live bird fun shoots out of Las Vegas.
He had a great sense of humor, and had some really fun stories.
Does anyone remember the one about the bird hunt in Africa? Fun stuff!
BTW, Oscar Gaddy attended those shoots as well.
The memories.
todd allen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to todd allen For Your Post:
Allan...services
Unread 12-20-2023, 03:12 PM   #23
Art Wheaton
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Default Allan...services

An update from Jean. Allan will be cremated. She is away over Holidays recharging batteries. Suggest hold flowers as she is thinking of a memorial come spring. Will advise when her plans firm up.
Art Wheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2023, 03:22 PM   #24
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,547 Times in 3,106 Posts

Baltimore, 2013. Allan was always at Art's table a row or two over from mine.
I'll never forget the time I was sitting behind my table, and hear "Hey Edgar!"
Allan wasn't bashful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0251.JPG (147.5 KB, 25 views)
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2023, 04:00 PM   #25
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,533 Times in 3,406 Posts

I’d heard Swanson stories several times before I ever saw or met the man . I was walking in to the annual meeting think it was three years ago in the Vestal NY area . And as walking in the two fellows I was with told me he’d be there , so me being the smart ass I am sometimes I asked them if I should tell him a fellow he didn’t care for in VA had said hello , as a joke . They both gave me stern looks so I didn’t. After the meeting was over there was a small group having drinks which we joined . And this fellow that I think is the Prez of the organization commented to Swanson that the person I had thoughts of mentioning had said hello , he nodded his head and had a drink . A year or so later I was kinda looking for a set of 20 gauge hammer barrels and about 21:00 that night I got a call , the person introduced themself but to be honest I didn’t totally understand what he said . Anyway he told me some places to look for the barrels and the conversation went in several directions eventually going to the annual meeting the year or two before that . I told him the story mentioned above and he was chuckling while I was talking . When I was finished he said I’m Allan Swanson and of course I profusely apologized and he laughed telling me the way I told it made him laugh
Unread 12-20-2023, 04:57 PM   #26
stumpstalker
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,425 Times in 686 Posts

Eleven years ago, and not long after I had joined the PGCA, I learned that Allan had made wooden gun shipping boxes for some members. I contacted him attempting to engage him to build one for me. He said that he did not do it commercially, his output was limited, and seemed to be implying that the recipients were confined to established collector colleagues.

Not long afterward, I got this Private Message:

“Russ:
Make sure you look me up at the Foundation dinner on the 24th of this month, I have a gift for you.
Allan”

Soon, I had the box, gratis; and Kathy G. and I had the pleasure of meeting Allan and his wife, Jean, a memorably gracious and congenial couple.
Unread 12-20-2023, 05:36 PM   #27
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

So very sorry to hear this. Such a great asset to the PGCA. Condolences to the family. RIP
Unread 12-20-2023, 07:02 PM   #28
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,235 Times in 12,376 Posts

I got a call one day and it happened to be on a Sunday during the Baltimore show and it was Allan. He asked me what I thought a particular CH with Bernard barrels was worth and he continued to describe the gun to the letter. I told him that I thought such a gun was worth around $8,000 or so. He said he had told the seller to take the gun off the table as he thouhjt he had a buyer for a lot more than the $3,000m he was asking...

The seller was NRA's Jim Baker and I bought the gun for the $8,000 I had said I thought it was worth. Allan told me he thought I made a good buy and he was right. When I sold it years later I didn't lose a penny!!!

Allan was a friend of Jim's and a friend of mine and he didn't want to see either of us get hurt by making a bad deal.

Thanks Allan!!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0322.JPG (283.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0037 - Copy.JPG (436.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0037.jpg (507.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0318.JPG (277.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0321.JPG (283.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 010.JPG (390.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 009.JPG (396.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 020.JPG (79.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 031.JPG (415.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 013.JPG (181.6 KB, 4 views)

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2023, 07:53 PM   #29
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,533 Times in 3,406 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
I got a call one day and it happened to be on a Sunday during the Baltimore show and it was Allan. He asked me what I thought a particular CH with Bernard barrels was worth and he continued to describe the gun to the letter. I told him that I thought such a gun was worth around $8,000 or so. He said he had told the seller to take the gun off the table as he thouhjt he had a buyer for a lot more than the $3,000m he was asking...

The seller was NRA's Jim Baker and I bought the gun for the $8,000 I had said I thought it was worth. Allan told me he thought I made a good buy and he was right. When I sold it years later I didn't lose a penny!!!

Allan was a friend of Jim's and a friend of mine and he didn't want to see either of us get hurt by making a bad deal.

Thanks Allan!!

Oh heck it’s got an antlered critter on the floor plate that’s makes it twice as good as some dumb old feathered critter
Unread 12-20-2023, 09:10 PM   #30
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,539 Times in 4,621 Posts

The very first Charles Parker Co. item that I purchased (other than the guns) was a Mission Oak tower clock from Allan. It was at the 2013 Vintage Cup. The first time I met him. He had a whole table full of items like clocks, coffee grinders and silverplate items. The clock was the item that I really liked and could afford at the time. As I recall Allan gave the keynote speech on collecting Parkers at the annual meeting at that event. I have since acquired many more CP Co. items and I still have that clock.