Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Announcement, Help & Introduction Forums New User Introductions

Notices

New Member, Greetings all
Unread 06-06-2013, 03:05 PM   #1
Bruce Biggs
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default New Member, Greetings all

Greetings all, just joined the forums and will join the PGCA. I'm 55 years old and just inherited my Great Grandfather's Parker VH 12gauge. I believe I was the last person to shoot it when my Uncle took Me and my Brother out to the farm to shoot clays 40+ years ago. I was pleasantly surprised how good of condition it's still in when my Uncle (now 84), shipped it to me. This was a field gun and well used, but the barrels still have a mirror finish inside, and everything still seems tight and works smoothly. All matching parts with SN# 88843 puts it at 1898.

I plan on sending it out to a recommended "Parker" gun smith to have professionally cleaned and checked over, since I don't know that it's ever been done.

This will be handed down to my Son, and will be the first shotgun he ever shoots.

I will peruse the forum to find out the best loads to use as not to damage this shotgun.

Bruce Biggs
Michigan

Last edited by Bruce Biggs; 06-06-2013 at 04:10 PM.. Reason: sp
Bruce Biggs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bruce Biggs For Your Post:
Unread 06-06-2013, 03:22 PM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,238 Times in 12,378 Posts

Hi Bruce and Welcome!

A 12 ga. VH should be able to digest most normal loads on the shelf today, with the exception of magnum loads and steel shot... stay away from those.
A good thing to do is to measure the chamber length (should be 2 5/8" for 2 3/4" shells) and check the frame size. A 2 frame 12 ga. Parker is a stout gun and a 1 1/2 frame is relatively stout as well. You will see the frame size stamped on the bottom of the rear barrel lug.
Some folks stay away from modern ammo because the wood is old and could crack under the stress of modern, high-velocity ammo - in which case we shoot low pressure ammo from RST (or others) to avoid overly stressing the gun... or load our own. There are plenty of low pressure 12 ga. ammo recipes out there.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 06-06-2013, 04:08 PM   #3
Bruce Biggs
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks Dean, there's a 2 stamped on the lug. Also, looks like the stock was replaced on at one time or another. There is no checkering on the grip and says "Bishop" on the butt plate. Would be great to find an original period stock for this.

I plan to call Brad Bachelder since he is in Grand Rapids, about an hour drive from here, and have him check it over.
Unread 06-06-2013, 04:37 PM   #4
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

Brad would be a good choice Bruce and welcome to the PGCA.
Unread 06-07-2013, 10:04 AM   #5
Dennis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Welcome, Bruce. You won't find a more friendly and knowledgeable group of people than right here on the PGCA forum. I love these people and just signed on for a few more years. We would love to see photos of your gun.

Dennis
Dennis V. Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dennis V. Nix For Your Post:
Unread 06-07-2013, 10:42 AM   #6
Bruce Biggs
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis V. Nix View Post
Welcome, Bruce. You won't find a more friendly and knowledgeable group of people than right here on the PGCA forum. I love these people and just signed on for a few more years. We would love to see photos of your gun.

Dennis
Thanks Dennis, reading the forums, it looks like a great group of folks.. I'm trying to gather as much info on the heritage of this gun before the elder's of my family move on. Not sure which Great Grandfather purchased this, but I believe it was my Grandmother's Father that gave it to my Grandfather.

Well used, but well taken care of except for the stock that was apparently broken and replaced with a non-parker stock. When, I don't know.

I have posted in the WTB section a stock for this. I plan to pass this to my Son. Would be fun to have the family names who owned it engraved on it somewhere. Even though it's a common VH, it will never be for sale as far as I'm alive, would like to think my Son would never sell it either and someday pass it to his Son. It's going on 4 generations now.

Cheers!
Unread 06-07-2013, 02:15 PM   #7
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,089 Times in 1,195 Posts

Bruce there is a side by side shoot in Grand Blanc tomorrow at the Huntsman Club, I think there will be 6 or 8 PGCA members coming and we could take a look at the gun, plus you could meet a few of the members. Eric
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Eis For Your Post:
Unread 06-07-2013, 04:50 PM   #8
Bruce Biggs
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Eis View Post
Bruce there is a side by side shoot in Grand Blanc tomorrow at the Huntsman Club, I think there will be 6 or 8 PGCA members coming and we could take a look at the gun, plus you could meet a few of the members. Eric
Hi Eric, just sent you a PM
Unread 06-07-2013, 10:12 PM   #9
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,089 Times in 1,195 Posts

Sent you a pm back or give me a call tomorrow at 248-568-6916 be great to meet you and introduce you to the Michigan PGCA members. Eric
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Eis For Your Post: