Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Announcement, Help & Introduction Forums New User Introductions

Notices

Greetings from the Old Dominion
Unread 03-28-2013, 09:50 PM   #1
Wayne Johnson
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Greetings from the Old Dominion

Good evening all. My name is Wayne, as you can see. Mind if I pull up a bucket and set a spell?

When I was a kid, my Grandfather had both an A.H. Fox Sterlingworth, 12 ga, and a Parker 20 ga. I don't know much about the Parker, except that if I remember correctly, he bought from Watkins-Cottrell hardware in Richmond, Va, sometime in the late 20's. It seems he told me he paid over $100.00 for it then, and sent it back to Parker to have auto ejectors installed. How accurate that is, I have no idea, it was a long time ago, and even then I didn't get to see it much. It belongs to my Uncle now.

But, it made me want a Parker of my own. It wasn't a burning desier or anything, I knew they were expensive, so I figured I'd never get one.

But earlier this week, I found a 12 ga Trogan model that doesn't look too bad. It's been refinished somewhere along the way, but locks up tight. It's got short chambers, but to be honest, I doubt I'll ever shoot it, but it will be fun to have. I haven't bought it yet, but have got a "hold" on it.

Now, I'll just sit over here in the corner and listen. Maybe I'll learn something.
Wayne Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2013, 10:06 PM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,236 Times in 12,377 Posts

Hi Wayne, welcome aboard. There's always something to learn here every day.

I can't imagine why you wouldn't shoot a Parker but, as they say, "to each his own". But stick around, we have a lot of fun here.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2013, 10:15 PM   #3
Wayne Johnson
Forum Associate

Member Info

I'm just not really a shotgun person Dean. About the only thing I've ever used a shotgun for was deer hunting with buckshot.

I could see me taking it out back to pot a sqirrel from time to time, but that would be about it.
John 3:16 NKJV
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wayne Johnson For Your Post:
Unread 03-29-2013, 06:10 AM   #4
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

Welcome Wayne. That is a great first post. If you buy that Parker it will only be a matter of time before you get the itch to shoot it. Be sure to put a cushion on that bucket because you will find yourself spending a good bit of time here. Again....Thanks for finding us.
Unread 03-29-2013, 06:22 AM   #5
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,829 Times in 2,017 Posts

Wayne, I've got a VH 20 that the factory letter says was shipped to the Watkins-Cottrell hardware in Richmond, Virginia in 1918. Doesnt have ejectors. The cost was $45.65.
Hope the Trojan works out. Welcome aboard
Harold Lee Pickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2013, 06:40 AM   #6
Wayne Johnson
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks for the warm welcome. I folded up my jacket and put it on the bucket. That'll do for now.

Funny story. I had spotted that Trogan on the rack in the middle of the Stevens 311's and such. I did a double take and asked myself "Is that a Parker?"...They're usually in the glass case at the back on the store with numbers on the tag that look like they belong on a used car. )

I looked it over, talked to the guy behind the counter about it, and put it back, came home, did some research, and bugged my wife about it until she finally told me to "either buy the XXXX thing, or shut-up, I'm tired of hearing about it."

Having gotten permission from SWMBO, I called the shop, talked to a new guy and told him to put the Parker on hold for me. Described the gun, gave him the price on the tag, and told him to check with Willie, or Joe, they know me, and know which gun I was looking at. No problem. I'll take care of it.

Don't leave yet, there is a point to all this rambling.

I get to the shop yesterday to check it out again and look for some stuff I've learned. While I make a quick pit stop, my wife asks the first guy she sees to fetch the gun for me. I get back and she's holding a shotgun. Good deal...That's funny. I don't remember it having a beavertail forearm...or a straight English stock. I take the gun from her, thinking they had picked up a gun someone else had on hold. No, it's got my name on it. And it's a Parker but I don't remember it looking like this. I check the price tag. $500.00...? Maybe they're giving me an upgrade for being a good customer. I'll take that.

Then I look at the tag again, and I'll be that thing has grown another zero. That's not $500.00...it's $5,000.00. Holly sheep. Don't scratch this thing.

Turns out it's a Parker VGH, HGZ or something like that. Three fancy letters anyway. Gun looks like a museum piece.

I carefully hand it back to the clerk and tell him, "I'm sorry. This is NOT the gun I wanted on hold." Oh? It's not?

I go back and find the right Parker still on the rack. If things go well, I hope to pick it up today.
John 3:16 NKJV
Unread 03-29-2013, 07:42 AM   #7
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,236 Times in 12,377 Posts

Great story Wayne!
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote