Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 06-01-2016, 06:38 PM   #21
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,693 Times in 871 Posts

Using a powder baffle? Powder must be above the minimum line on the MEC bottle. Always go bigger with the charge, then go down. I get consistent charges, but I have to do it several times before it settles down and becomes consistent.
Jerry Harlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2016, 11:11 PM   #22
Steve Havener
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Harlow View Post
Using a powder baffle? Powder must be above the minimum line on the MEC bottle. Always go bigger with the charge, then go down. I get consistent charges, but I have to do it several times before it settles down and becomes consistent.
To get consistent loads I run my presses through the full load cycle 5 or 6 times to get the powder settled in the tube before I weigh for accuracy. Shot is not a concern because of it's weight and being spherical it will settle immediately. Consistency is the key to accuracy.
Steve Havener is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2016, 08:09 AM   #23
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

I don't have that problem, but others have complained about the same thing. I have three UCB's on different presses and get pretty good drops. All I can think of is you must do the same thing every time to get consistent results. My drops may vary .3 of a grain, but that's about it. What kind of press are you using ?
Unread 06-02-2016, 12:55 PM   #24
Kirk Mckinney
Forum Associate

Member Info

I think maybe I didn't have enough powder in the bottle...I will at least fill it half way and see what happens. I am using a mec sizemaster with a short shell plate. Since I was only loading a few for ballistic testing I only put a little powder in the bottle. I like to let it sit in my garage instead of dumping and reloading the next week. Plus once in a while a lead shot will hang and I guess the slide will split it in two. Which makes it necessary to give a good hard knock on the end of the bar. If plus or minus .3 is ok surely I can get it to do that. But also I wanted each of the 30rds. to be exactly 15 grains for the tests ( I checked each one ). Thanks guys for all the input. It helps a beginner to be able to draw from so much experience. Much Appreciated
See you in the field.
P.S. Yes I am using the baffle that came with the universal charge bar.
Kirk Mckinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2016, 01:02 PM   #25
Kirk Mckinney
Forum Associate

Member Info

Also does anyone know how I can get to the part of this site where they sell guns. I tried and it said that I wasnt able, that it was a restricted site???? anyone
Unread 06-02-2016, 01:16 PM   #26
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,345 Times in 4,421 Posts

You have to become a member of PGCA in order to access the for sale section. PGCA membership is well worth $40.
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2016, 03:20 PM   #27
Jack Kuzepski
Forum Associate

Member Info

I've used the UCB for years on my MEC juniors and love it. That said, certain conditions prevail when I use it.
1) the powder and shot bottles cannot go too low, not less than an 1-1/2" of each in the bottle.
2) once the powder and shot cavities are fine tuned, tighten the set screws
3) do NOT use for the 410 or at least be VERY careful!! particularly for 2-1/2" shells. the cavities are so small and at times do not line up perfectly (squarely) under their respective bottles. I had experimented with center screw with a smaller head to allow the bar to center under the bottles better. I found it better to just have a special non-adjustable charge bar for each 410 load; provides peace of mind.

Jack Kuzepski
Jack Kuzepski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2016, 04:32 PM   #28
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

Jack brought to mind something I had to do for light drops for my 28ga. The opening for powder in the bar wasn't going completely under the powder bottle. Because of the way you adjust the opening, it doesn't center under the bottle opening. I took the bar out and filed the slot longer in the frame so the stop screw could go farther over allowing the small opening to center under the bottle opening. I also tap the powder bottle when the bar is under it. Kirk was trying for 15grs, and that's getting pretty light - in other words, a small opening for powder to drop into. Try taking your bottles off and pull the handle down and check to see if the opening in the bar is centered under the bottle opening. You may have to operate on your press. Keep plenty of powder in the bottle, and throw away the baffle. If you're gonna keep it, grind out the center and use it for a drop tube.
Unread 06-02-2016, 09:21 PM   #29
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,693 Times in 871 Posts

I personally like the powder baffle because it is spring loaded and eliminates the brass ring and rubber o-ring for the powder side on a MEC. I find the latter to affect the drop greatly since it does block the squared cavity compared to the round hole found on the MEC factory charge bars.

Also, if you are cutting shot are you using the washer and rubber gasket? This usually prevents cutting shot.

Just my 2 cents; not worth much.
Jerry Harlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2016, 11:06 AM   #30
Kirk Mckinney
Forum Associate

Member Info

Yes I think I have all the rings and gaskets in proper order.. I did it like the instructions that came with it said to.... I will try some of the things that yall recommended and see what happens...I will check to make sure the opening is under the bottle and put more powder in the bottle.... I am thinking that should do it. Just spoke to keith at Precision Reloading and he is going to test my loads this morning I am excited... Iam hoping the 3/4 oz load works well.. I see why everyone on here shoots small loads.. not only does it save on supplies there is really no need for more.... do yall think 3/4 oz loads is enough to hunt with, dove and quail ??? I guess if you can hit them even 2 oz of shot wont help. lol