Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 12-14-2018, 03:49 PM   #21
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

When I dip into a shooting slump while shooting clays I just stop and think back to the basics I learned from Churchills book. It's ok, where are my feet, my hands, my shoulders, etc and just go back to the basics. Generally that instantly pulls me out of the slump.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Richard Flanders For Your Post:
Unread 12-14-2018, 06:31 PM   #22
Gary Laudermilch
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,099 Times in 673 Posts

We use grease tinted white on our patterning board instead of paint. Take a shot, trowel it smooth and shoot again. Simple and long lasting. For a durable aiming point we welded a skid shoe from a snowplow to the plate. Grease also keeps the steel plate from rusting. A word of caution - be sure to wear safety glasses when patterning. On numerous occasions we have had pellets bounce back to the 16 yard line. Sounds impossible but it happens.
Gary Laudermilch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gary Laudermilch For Your Post:
Unread 12-16-2018, 02:37 PM   #23
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,042 Posts

Here's a postscript to my original post, and a thank you to all who have followed this thread and contributed stories, advice and wisdom.

Since I switched to the 20 gauge Parker I have shot 13 quail with 14 shots. I assure everyone, I know this is an aberration, and I am not normally this kind of shot, but, hey, I'll ride this little streak, just like I have the string of misses at other times. I still say that shooting wild birds as shots present themselves is like no other kind of shooting. I have no doubt I'll be humbled by Mr. Bob again very soon.

Now...I have a nice, original VH 20 gauge that has yet to be shot. Am I crazy to switch guns now? Very likely.

Here's a few more of Elaine's pictures from our last several hunts. The puppy continues to take at least two steps forward for every one back, and his partners in crime have done well also. Recently, we've had very decent weather in our North Missouri covers, and the coveys we've found have been of good size with hard flying birds. Who could ask for more?

Photo Key:

1. That's the puppy, Aspen, on the left backing his bracemate, Cedar. He backs naturally, but wants to ease up with me at times. We're working to correct this.
2. This is Aspen on his own point. If you hunt wild quail, you know that if you are alone, a set-up like this very often offers a poor shot if any. Sometimes Elaine will flush them for us, but we opted for the picture this time. No shot, but Aspen did not mind.
3. Here's the culmination of a nice retrieve to hand by Aspen. Cedar is a half-hearted retriever, and Alder just does not retrieve, so I and my old bones are really happy that Aspen has taken to bringing birds to me. That Parker skeleton buttplate shows up well in this photo! I was measured to shoot with a 15" LOP, but the 14 1/8 inch DHE obviously suits me just fine.
4. This photo does not do the size of this bottom-land Pin Oak justice. It was a monarch that Elaine and I could barely touch hands with both of us reaching around it. We have been "collecting" large trees in pictures for many years. There's so much richness to a good hunt, and it includes a sense of place that always makes us grateful that we can still roam places like this.
5. This is the back side of a farm we hunted Saturday on an achingly beautiful day. The air was so still that at sunset we could hear voices in the Amish farmyard almost a mile away. Although a day I deem to be of Red Letter caliber includes birds, good dog work, and decent shooting, it seems that any more the weather is as much a part of the memory as any of the other elements.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1312.jpg (411.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1305.jpg (525.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1314.jpg (406.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1315.jpg (447.6 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1337.jpg (494.6 KB, 2 views)
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2018, 02:50 PM   #24
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,079 Times in 2,378 Posts

You are a lucky, lucky man Gary. Going 13 for 14 on Bobs and having that kind of cover to hunt is the stuff memorable seasons are made of. Nice to have your own photographer to record your success.
Unread 12-16-2018, 09:04 PM   #25
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

mighty fine cover for the birds....a big tree is always awsome to me....your record is a good one hope your luck continues...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 12-16-2018, 11:18 PM   #26
Brett Hoop
PGCA Member

Member Info

Gary

First off thanks for sharing! You have a wonderful way of taking us along. 13 - 14 that would make it hard to closet that gun. What a grand memory you can stack like cord wood atop the pups first year.
Brett Hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brett Hoop For Your Post:
Unread 12-25-2018, 12:37 PM   #27
SXS OHIO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,888 Times in 533 Posts

Hi Gary...looks like your Gordon setter knows his game! Ware did your dog come from, Kennel? I am thinking of a new pup soon, my Gordon will be 8 on Feb-5th. Im thinking spring of 2020 Kenny
Kenny Graft is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2018, 08:18 PM   #28
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Hey, Kenny,

I hope Miss Ruby is doing well and ready for a bracemate. We have two Springset bred, one from Clearcut Kennels in Minnesota, and a fourth that is of our own breeding between a Springset male and a Stillmeadows female. They all are unique and have different qualities -- and each is smarter than I!

Glad to learn you're optimistic and looking to your hunting future. I enjoyed your posts about your Kansas trip and new Fox.
Puppy breath....such a sweet thing!
Unread 12-26-2018, 09:23 AM   #29
SXS OHIO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,888 Times in 533 Posts

Default Puppy breath....such a sweet thing!

Thank you Gary for your compliment. I just read your Christmas story...it was real good and refreshing. The upland life has took control of my path in life that's for sure. Its a year round passion for me. I have a wonderful wife who enjoys the outdoors, has hunted some with me in October when its not freezing cold. I know she offers to come when no one else can. She also excepts me being away on hunts, spending my life savings on THE SPORT, guns, dogs, dog gear, new Rooster runner rig, on and on. I'm not getting any better, I need a puppy and now planning extended hunting trips.

Here is a picture from last Sundays hunt....just me and Ruby chasing left over roosters...(-: And Ruby,.... my wife took the (princess) picture!... that what she calls Ruby ever since she was a puppy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0742.jpg (526.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0746.jpg (523.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Ruby.jpg (561.0 KB, 0 views)
Kenny Graft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kenny Graft For Your Post:
Unread 12-26-2018, 11:36 AM   #30
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

[QUOTE=Kenny Graft;... And Ruby,.... my wife took the (princess) picture!... that what she calls Ruby ever since she was a puppy![/QUOTE]

And a princess she is!...as it sounds like your wife is also. My guess is that there is a wonderfully support spouse behind more than one PGCA member.

I hope you find a good bracemate for Miss Ruby, one that will compliment that beautifully stocked gun.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post: