Notices

Semper Fi
Unread 08-04-2011, 02:03 PM   #1
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,616 Times in 2,667 Posts

Default Semper Fi

Greg Moats, a PGCA member, author of Sporting Clays articles, and former USMC captain sent me this.he Looks like sniper training to me, where some of the best of the best attend.

I had the privilege and honor of marching with some of these heros when I did the Bataan Death March Memorial Marathon last March in southern New Mexico at the White Sands Missile Test Range . Let me know if anybody wants to join me in 2012.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg determinedMarine.jpg (74.5 KB, 14 views)
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bruce Day For Your Post:
Unread 08-04-2011, 02:25 PM   #2
Angel Cruz Ortiz
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,177 Times in 485 Posts

That's one hell of a bipod. It sort of put things in perspective. Thanks for posting Bruce.
Semper Fi!
Unread 08-04-2011, 02:48 PM   #3
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,302 Times in 12,393 Posts

Almost looks like Roger Coger's cheek piece... hmmm...
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Might be USMC Scout/Sniper School at Quantico
Unread 08-04-2011, 03:15 PM   #4
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Might be USMC Scout/Sniper School at Quantico

Can't tell for sure- opened in 1976 with Gunny Hathcock as NCOIC-- This brave Gyrene exemplifies the "never give up" espirit de Corps we have and treasure- in "grunt" terms he is utilizing a "FIR"- that's Field Improvised Rest to you Non-Quals- (below 190 out of 250 on qual day) then only think in USMC parlance lower than a "Non-Qual" is whale poop!! Semper Fi!!
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2011, 05:44 PM   #5
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,888 Times in 4,764 Posts

When Carlos Hathcock returned from his second tour and finally retired from active duty, he became a bit of a fisherman. One of his fishing companions was Colonel Willis, an imposing Marine who served as Commanding Officer of the Marksmanship Unit at Quantico. I don't know what Hathcock's professional connection was with Willis, but I assume there was one. One weekend, during a Preliminary Olympic Tryout at the Quantico Skeet Range, our squad was test firing at station one before beginning a round. All International shooters test fire once or twice before each round, just something that is done by tradition. At my turn, I fired once into the air and once in the general direction of a blue jay flying in front of a field a great distance from me. To my astonishment, the blue jay dropped like a rock. I felt bad about the blue jay, but surely did not expect the the bird would be harmed. When the round was finished, I put my gun away and began walking toward the newly built multi hole, multi sex outhouse. Approaching me, coming from the outhouse was Colonel Willis in full fatigue uniform. I was surprised that the blue jay had recovered somewhat and was walking on the road about equidistant from me and the Colonel. I was fully expecting the Colonel had been told of my transgression and would be chewing me a "new one". I was quite relieved when he kept his gaze well above the level of the wounded blue jay and gave me a friendly greeting and inquired about my shooting. I returned his greeting and we both went on our way. I don't know, to this day, whether he saw the bird or not, but a blue jay on asphalt is hard to miss.
Bill Murphy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
One of our "Legends" like "Chesty Puller"
Unread 08-04-2011, 07:43 PM   #6
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default One of our "Legends" like "Chesty Puller"

Gunny Hathcock was badly burned- rescuing five brother Marines from a burning Amtrac- NW of Da Nang Sept 1969--that ran over a 500 lb. Gook planted box mine-their Co, 2nd. Lt. (Hyland if memory serves) waved them onto a set of tracks, and made the fatal error of many Jr. Ossifers in their first weeks "In Country"-- rule Numba One- NEVER take an existing trail- you ain't tracking deer in the Adairondacks- rule Numba Two- NEVER EVER take the same track back out that you took in-- He was badly burnded, saved five Marines, was med-evaced to Da Nang, then to Yakota AFB in Tokyo, then finally to the burn center at Brooke AH in San Antonio. His CO had nominated Carlos for the Navy Cross, but Hathcock declined it- saying that the other Marines were the real heroes--

After he served his 20, he did take up shark fishing off the Carolina coast, and supposedly had read Hemingway's novel "The Old Man and The Sea" and felt a kinship with another "Carlos"-- Hemingway's first mate on the Pilar, after whom the Old Man's character in the book was modeled.

There have been many Marines. There have been many Marine marksmen. But there has been only one Sniper- Gy/Sgt. Carlos Norman Hathcock. One Shot-- One Kill.

Semper Fi- Gunny-- for a long as a Marine's best friend is his rifle, your legend will live on forever..
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Francis Morin For Your Post:
Unread 08-05-2011, 11:03 AM   #7
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,616 Times in 2,667 Posts

In today's military, we have a lot more understanding and humane way of handling those brave soldiers, sailors, Marines and airmen who have disabilities incurred in service. If they can pass the PT tests and do what is expected of them physically , they get to stay in. In my day, you lose a foot, you were out. I greatly admire these people, they are inspiring. I've seen them. Some of them get to stay in but are somewhat protected and given the less strenuous jobs, but they have to pass the basic tests. Whatever they do, and even if they are not able to stay in, I am so proud and thankful for them.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bruce Day For Your Post:
Unread 08-05-2011, 11:47 AM   #8
Big Friend Ten (BFT)
PGCA Lifetime Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,933 Times in 795 Posts

Bill,

Colonel Willis was himself a sniper when he was enlisted.

I can assure you that the Colonel knew that you shot the Blue Jay. He knew everything! Had the Colonel been pissed at you, your face would have been under the Blue Jay. If he wanted to give you a warning he would have told you, "Do that again and I'll flush you down the toilet." Trust me that no one who heard those words doubted their fate should they get out of line ever again!

Also, when you type the Colonel's name you better be at a modified position of attention!

Semper Fi to you, soldier
Mark
Mark Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mark Ouellette For Your Post:
Unread 08-05-2011, 12:44 PM   #9
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,888 Times in 4,764 Posts

Mark, I was and am well aware of Colonel Willis' capabilities and demeanor. Thanks for the entertaining vignette.
Bill Murphy is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2011, 12:52 PM   #10
Big Friend Ten (BFT)
PGCA Lifetime Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,933 Times in 795 Posts

Colonel Willis always had at his side a German Shepard named Bruno. His Brunos were trained and provided by a connection he had at Fort Leavenworth. A young Captain was briefing the in the Colonel in his rather large office. Bruno was lying on his mat on across the office from the Colonel's desk. The Captain looked toward Bruno and saw the Colonel's faithful companion licking his private parts. The Captain tried to make a joke saying, "I wished that I could do that!" The Colonel replied, "Go over to Bruno really easy and he might let you."
Mark Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote