Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Announcement, Help & Introduction Forums Website & Forum - Help & Assistance

Notices

Unread 10-31-2023, 12:10 PM   #31
Dollar
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,080 Times in 354 Posts

The gun was under insured dramatically after he advised me on the value of the gun.It was sent back without a signature required as well and no notice was given it was even shipped.
Cost was on the shipping label.
Bob Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2023, 12:45 PM   #32
Dan
PGCA Member

Member Info

I sent out a Pre 64 Model 70 Featherweight for work to another state. I was patient, did not want to become a pest but after a while I just had to check up on the progress. Called the shop, no answer, no answering machine, contacted a friend in ATF and asked if he could have a local agent check on this shop, not just for my gun but to make sure this shop didn't just close up. My ATF contact tod me they just couldn't pop in and check on this guy, WOW! I next called the local sheriff and after a couple days of becoming a pest the Sheriff advised me the shop owner was in a nursing home. I managed to contact his sister and convinced her to look in his shop for my gun, I got the gun back shortly thereafter. As far as Larry DelGrego goes, I have been in his shop a few times and I hold him in high regards and wish him nothing but good health, and his family the very best.
Daniel B Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel B Sweet For Your Post:
Unread 10-31-2023, 02:46 PM   #33
David Noble
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,095 Times in 388 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
1. How do you know there was no insurance? 2. How does scanning the FFL gun sales help to find a missing gun when the 4473 does not identify the gun. I am not being picky. I would like to recover my missing gun too.
Bill, the 4473 does identify a gun by Make, Model, Ga/Cal, Serial Number
The gunsmith or dealer will not have a 4473 for the firearm unless they actually sell the gun to someone, however it will be entered into their bound book.
And the BATF will not have a copy of the 4473 unless the FFL closes and sends all their 4473's to the BATF. ATF will not send an agent to "look" for a missing gun reported by an owner, but if the FFL dealer or gunsmith realizes the gun cannot be located, then they would file a missing firearm report to BATF with all the gun information and it would be noted in the FFL's log book as missing.
David Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2023, 06:50 PM   #34
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,157 Times in 3,260 Posts

fortunately - the best gunsmith I know is a lot younger than me - so if he doesn't blow himself up with his new interest in black powder - I won't worry

but two gunsmith stories - many years ago I had a Sterlingworth in a shop when the owner died - I did not know that but stopped the shop several times to try to reach him - then there was a notice on the door- estate auction - all contents to be auctioned off on a certain date and if you had something there you had to show up just before the auction with proof of ownership to retrieve it before it was sold- I imagine there was a lot of potential for legal action with that process - but I was there on time to recover mine.

second happened to guy I shot in a pistol league with. He had sent a 1911 to a smith that was supposed to be the best race gun maker around at the time - he waited a year with no news so sent a polite letter asking for an update ( way before email came about) - shortly after a box of disassembled partly modified parts arrived with a note lambasting my friend for his lack of patience
Unread 11-02-2023, 10:54 PM   #35
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,870 Times in 4,754 Posts

David, my mistake. A gun is entered on the 4473. What I meant to say is that the information on the gun is not sent in to ATF or anyone else, it is buried in the licensee's records.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 11-07-2023, 12:04 AM   #36
Alfred Greeson
PGCA Member

Member Info

Having had several discussions and work from the DelGrego family and shop, I would caution worrying about the integrity of the shop. Dealing with a recent diagnosis of lung cancer over the last several weeks myself, I can attest to the strain and devastation to family. I have the utmost respect for the DelGrego family and request prayers for them at this time as I know any of us would expect.
Alfred Greeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2023, 09:09 AM   #37
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,870 Times in 4,754 Posts

I never questioned whether the Del Grego shop insured their shipments. All shipments I am aware of were sent "Registered Mail", reputedly the safest way to send anything, because the shipment must be signed for at each step. I suspect that their shipments are self insured, but I am not sure of that. I would assume that any big loss without insurance would end up in court. In fifty plus years of shipping to and from their shop, I have never discussed insurance with them. OK, silly me.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote