Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Michigan Gun Clubs
Unread 02-19-2018, 02:45 PM   #1
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,035 Times in 1,168 Posts

Default Michigan Gun Clubs

I've been doing a project since hunting season went out. Trying to visit all the little gun clubs that are scattered across S.E. Michigan. So far I've been to Detroit Gun Club, Birmingham Gun Club, Carleton Sportsman Club, and this weekend it's off to the Manchester Gun Club. Been some fun times for sure, met some interesting people too. Been shooting my big 34 inch Parker which always helps start conversation. Here's a few pics to show what I've been up to.

P.S. Those two old characters were really a pleasure to visit with, both Korean War veterans with tons of great shooting / hunting / fishing stories. The one on the right is a multi time Michigan State Trap Champion, shot on the All American Team, fished and hunted everywhere. The one on the left was General MacArthur's personal mechanic in Korea and even drove for him a few times. He was in charge of the early stock car racing program for Chrysler after he got home and also hunted / fished all over the US.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180211_112451.jpg (390.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 20180127_122509.jpg (591.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 20180127_143352.jpg (507.4 KB, 3 views)
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2018, 02:50 PM   #2
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

And a couple of the gun, that's me with it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180219_145208.jpg (539.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 20180219_145233.jpg (510.6 KB, 4 views)
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Unread 02-20-2018, 11:48 AM   #3
Jean Swanson
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,080 Times in 237 Posts

Destry

You look rather distinguished-- nice photo . Do you still have that E.J. Churchill straight grip 8 bore ??

Allan
Jean Swanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2018, 01:57 PM   #4
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thank ya Sir, I appreciate the compliment.

The big Churchill is long gone, it financed a couple other far more useful (and really nice) shotguns plus several memory making hunting trips.

Destry
Unread 02-20-2018, 06:03 PM   #5
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,871 Times in 4,755 Posts

You ingrate. You know I coveted that Churchill to add to my eight gauge collection. I guess you sold it to your Canadian goose guide, but I don't really know. Can you tell me where it is? We had it at a pigeon shoot in Maryland before you bought it, but I didn't have any ammunition to shoot it.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2018, 08:18 PM   #6
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,615 Times in 1,557 Posts

The Canadian guides Destry and I know don't have enuff money to buy 8 gauge shells, let alone the gun
Unread 02-21-2018, 07:44 AM   #7
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,089 Times in 1,195 Posts

Bill,
If I remember correctly the Churchill got left in England on one of Destry's hunting trips to the UK as it fetched a lot more money over there then here.
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2018, 09:25 AM   #8
Jean Swanson
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

The history of the 8 bore.

While in England on a driven pheasant/ woodcock shoot in the 80's I visited Holland & Holland and purchased the E J Churchill 8 bore in rather poor condition. Upon returning to the States,I had Herb Stratemeyer from Hollis,NH cold rust the barrels, Bud and Betty Richards of Chichester ,NH freshen up the checkering and finish on the wood.

Several years later, Jerry Fisher ,was hunting with me in New Hampshire and stayed at my home in Vermont. Naturally the conversations was mostly about guns. I consigned several 8 bores to him---E J Churchill, Charles Daly diamond grade /ejectors, and 4 or 5 Parker's of various grades .

Some time after that while at the Southern S X S Destry showed up with the Churchill.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jean Swanson For Your Post:
Unread 02-21-2018, 12:35 PM   #9
Jean Swanson
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

I do not know a Jerry Fisher, but I do know Jerry Smith .Sorry about that.

Allan
Unread 02-21-2018, 04:34 PM   #10
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

The Churchill was a purchase I was glad I made, I had fun owning and hunting with it, and I enjoyed selling it afterwards. I didn't know you had owned it at one time Allan, that's very interesting. That gun had the oddest stock of any big bore shotgun I've ever handled. Do you know anything about the history of that?