Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Restore or Not?
Unread 08-08-2011, 09:53 PM   #1
Frank Allegra
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Restore or Not?

I'm sure this has been discussed in the past. I did a search and was unable to find any info. I apologize if these are old questions.

I have heard in the past that the Parker is one gun that you leave alone. Is this true? Since I'm relatively new to Parkers, I need to know.
"Is it better to restore a Parker or leave it in it's found condition?" How much should be done to retain a Parkers best interest?
I'm asking these questions in regards to a small gauge trap gun that I recently acquired. I have posted some photos in the thread about Parker Double Trap but can also post others if needed.

Any suggestions from the group would be greatly appreciated.
Frank Allegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2011, 10:35 PM   #2
Pay Dirt
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,350 Times in 304 Posts

Perhaps a period pad for your new Trap gun.
Good find and acquisition!
Bobby Cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2011, 10:51 PM   #3
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,279 Times in 12,390 Posts

Frank, to restore your Parker correctly it would take quite a lot of money and that would first require that you use only one of the few in the country who are qualified to do it flawlessly. Doug Turnbull comes to mind as well as Abe Chaber, David Trevallion (who is primarily a magician with wood but who will send it to the best men in metal that he knows of {if he even has the time to take on the project}). There is also a gentleman on Cape Cod (name escapes me at the moment) who's work is equally flawless. But the point is - it will be very expensive. If you can't or won't commit to that kind of expense my recommendation is to do nothing at all with it... just leave it as is - that way it doesn't receive certain refinishing treatments that might not be able to be undone... the next owner would curse you for that.

It is a wonderful gun that deserves deep consideration in what you decide to do.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 08-09-2011, 05:28 AM   #4
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,808 Times in 1,372 Posts

I think the question of restoration starts with a question, does the gun still retain collector value or is it a "shooter". If the former leave it alone except for mechanical repairs and mitigating previous damage to collectability like replacing the white line pad with period correct as suggested.

If a gun is a "shooter" to start with, and I "like" it, and I plan to use it for a long time then I might consider a partial or full restoration. I also know there will be no return on investment on what is spent on restoration, more likely a loss if the gun is sold. For some of us bringing a "project" gun back to life can be fun.

I think your gun falls into the category of still having some collector interest and value. My advice is to replace the pad and leave the rest alone.
Pete Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pete Lester For Your Post:
Unread 08-09-2011, 07:05 AM   #5
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

I agree with Mr. Books
Unread 08-09-2011, 07:08 AM   #6
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,882 Times in 4,762 Posts

There is a gentleman in the West who can make your two piece stock look like a one piece stock and refinish all wood properly. Marklarsongunart.com. His work will be an excellent starting place for your restoration. You may choose to then gently remove the tarnish from the barrels and end the restoration. That's what most of us would do.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 08-09-2011, 07:10 AM   #7
ch
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Where's da picture? opps read the whole post dummy.
calvin humburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2011, 07:14 AM   #8
Ed Blake
PGCA Member

Member Info

I agree with Mr. Murphy. I'd be proud to shoot that gun as is, but a good cleaning would do right by it. Who knows what kind of gunk is in the action.
Ed Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ed Blake For Your Post:
Unread 08-09-2011, 01:06 PM   #9
Bindlestiff
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,925 Times in 870 Posts

There is a FAQ on this site that addresses that topic, check it out at http://parkerguns.org/pages/faq/When2Restore.htm
Robin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robin Lewis For Your Post:
Unread 08-09-2011, 01:12 PM   #10
Frank Allegra
Forum Associate

Member Info

All the suggestions and insight is greatly appreciated. I do have another question.

I measured the length of the wood before the extension and it measures at 12 3/4".
If I were to replace the pad, would it be advisable to remove the extension? My feeling is that the stock was not cut but extended at some time in the past. I'm asking this from a collectors point of interest and not from the shooters interest. I'm in no hurry to do anything and want to explore all my options before a decision is made on my part.
Frank Allegra is offline   Reply With Quote