Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 02-26-2018, 05:49 PM   #21
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Kirk, I am not certain but it may, but maybe in not as much detail. I do remember they did try and create just a guide to wingshooting without the gunfit part but if this book is for beginners it might be a little too rudimentary. I like the one I referenced for you for a lot of different reasons because as I recall it talks about sight pictures and how to prepare and read shots at a range and in the field. There was a book that did have a picture of the guy taught me in it.

Gunfit part is not too important for me but it could be for others but I did enjoy reading about the process and how a gun should fit. I am about an average build guy so most guns fit me allright and/or I can figure how to adjust and account for slight variations, like Parker's as compared to modern guns.

Again there are good many books and articles on shotgun shooting but if you can learn and effectively employ the stuff in that book then you'll be way ahead of a lot shooters. I will say this, once you get yourself dialed in and programmed with process and muscle memory it will become second nature and you won't even think about shooting you will just do it and learn to focus on target and move body in concert. It is hard to explain but one of the greatest satisfactions I think in upland hunting or even at a range, is when it all comes together in an unconscious/conscious reflex and you just smoke the target cleanly in circumstances that sometimes that will just surprise you. Prime example is golf, and I am much better at shooting at the birdies than trying hit birdies, but if I don't think and just relax and swing the club, and do it right, its a similar feeling of everything coming together for that split moment.

Besides if not of that works then the video below will help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wx0zC22C4RM
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2018, 05:56 PM   #22
Kirk Mckinney
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks Todd.... well they are putting my book on a slow boat. But I certainly will read it when I get it....Thanks for the info.

See you in the field
Kirk Mckinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2018, 06:18 PM   #23
Kirk Mckinney
Forum Associate

Member Info

Hilarious video....I think I have it down now !!!!!! lol
Kirk Mckinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2018, 07:27 PM   #24
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Yeah man, if in doubt snake eye concentration and busting the target before shouldering the gun is the way. Believe it or not there is part of that clip thats partly true, I think imagining and breaking a shot down into components, especially in a controlled environment like skeet, trap or sporting clays helps. For crossing targets,sSet your stance on where you feel comfortable to hit target or when you want to pull the trigger, slightly turn body toward where target comes from and watch the target as it it comes out and mount the gun while watching the target and swinging your body. As soon as you mount the gun to right spot on shoulder and cheek and watching target just pull the trigger and keep the gun moving. Simple concept but results vary.

That was a funny movie.
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote