Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Looking for 10 Gauge Brass Non Toxic Load
Unread 02-18-2018, 11:57 AM   #1
Matt Buckley
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,182 Times in 260 Posts

Default Looking for 10 Gauge Brass Non Toxic Load

I'm wondering if anybody has loaded 10 gauge brass with non toxic shot like Bismuth with any success. I contacted Ballistic Products and asked them about shooting non toxic through a 10 gauge Parker with Damascus barrels and full chokes and they recommended Bismuth shot over there ITX shot. I'm looking at reloading some BB's or 2's for goose hunting and wondering if anyone has done this.
Matt Buckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2018, 11:06 AM   #2
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

Do you mean all brass shells ? I never had any luck loading nitro powder in brass shells, but I believe Charlie has. I believe it has to do the the crimp because that is the part that along with the shot presents the resistance for pressure to build in a shotgun shell. Factory brass shells have a crimp. When I loaded them it was with BP and the overshot wad was glued in. Not a whole lot of resistance there, but it seemed to work with BP. I think Charlie pushes and holds the OS card down when gluing. There's a guy here in Mi. who has shot steel out of a full choked Parker for years with no damage. Good luck.
Unread 02-19-2018, 12:41 PM   #3
Matt Buckley
PGCA Member

Member Info

I was planning on using BP with whatever non toxic shot I would go with. I am not interested in shooting nitro powder out of brass, it just doesn't seem right. I like to make smoke.
Unread 02-19-2018, 01:47 PM   #4
Jay Oliver
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,147 Times in 622 Posts

Hi Matt,

There are people who load bismuth and ITX for waterfowl hunting. You will have to weigh the lead-free shot instead of going by the traditional volume method. Or weigh it and then use the appropriate scoop to speed things up during loading.

You may already have this...I highly recommend this brass shell loading guide by PGCA member Forrest Grilley. He discusses and gives brass shell loading instructions including bismuth in this manual. It's a great resource!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020544.JPG (145.6 KB, 3 views)
Jay Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jay Oliver For Your Post:
Unread 02-19-2018, 06:20 PM   #5
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

There isn't a whole lot to loading BP shells. If you look at a old measure a 1 1/8oz of shot/ 72grs of BP, 1 1/4oz/82grs, and 1 3/8/ 88grs of BP. You want a little more velocity then use a little more powder. If I remember correctly [ and circlefly doesn't have it anymore on their website ] a 10ga wad was used in a 12ga brass shell. At least the OP and OS wad was 10ga, and a 11ga cushion wad. At least that was the way I did it. I liked a good tight fit and seal for the OP wad, and the same to hold the shot in even though I still glued the OS wad in place. So for a 10ga you'd want 8 and 9 ga wads. At least that's what I'd do for Magtechs. Maybe you have turned shells that are thicker. In that case mic the shells and order the correct size for them. You can email Graig at circlefly for any questions. Good luck - nice to see you're using smoke.
Unread 02-19-2018, 06:27 PM   #6
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

I think track of the wolf Parker brass shells are turned from solid stock. Rocky Mountain does the work and they aren't going to be doing it much longer. If so, you can then just use 10ga wads - you may want to ask at Track of the Wolf. And for 5 or 6$ the book may not be such a bad deal.
Unread 02-21-2018, 09:32 AM   #7
Harry Collins
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,757 Times in 732 Posts

I have tried water glass to secure the over shot card and didn't like it. The set up time was long and they would crack if held over for the next season. I use a hot glue gun to hold the OS card. It sets up immediately.

Harry
Harry Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2018, 11:40 AM   #8
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

Charile holds the OS card down with some pressure when gluing the OS card and using nitro powders. I just used some Elmer's white glue when doing BP shells - they don't seem to care so much about wad pressure or resistance. And I'm sure you know not to use plastic wads - they'll melt in the barrel with smoke. A real pain to clean.
Unread 02-21-2018, 03:59 PM   #9
Matt Buckley
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanks for all the information. I have purchased the book and I'm going to try loading some Bismuth shot in the brass with BP.
Unread 02-22-2018, 12:25 PM   #10
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

To deprime I used a dowel with a nail in the center. To prime use another dowel and con cave the end so it fits around the primer pocket sticking up in the shell. You can stand the shell up a bit to deprime, and I just put a primer on my wood bench top, put the shell over it, and whack it with the dowel inside. Use the same dowel to prime to seat the wads. Sometimes you have to get a over size dowel and turn it down with a file. If you have or know someone with a metal lathe you're all set to make out of steel. Or if the shells are the right size a Mec jr would work just fine.