Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Hammer Guns

Notices

Unread 12-24-2009, 11:19 AM   #11
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,605 Times in 2,666 Posts

Brad, for direct comparision, the first photo is an old 16ga lifter. The second is your re case colored one. The third is another original color lifter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT3129.jpg (118.9 KB, 200 views)
File Type: jpg PGCAMtg2009%20055.jpg (48.3 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg Hammer%2520Lifter--%2520NEW%2520002.jpg (81.4 KB, 192 views)

Last edited by Bruce Day; 12-24-2009 at 03:00 PM..
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2009, 04:18 PM   #12
Labowner
PGCA Member

Member Info

The difference I see between photo two and three is the original is faded.
E Robert Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2009, 10:28 AM   #13
Parker Bachelder (Brad's Profile)
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,925 Times in 202 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Day View Post
Brad, for direct comparision, the first photo is an old 16ga lifter. The second is your re case colored one. The third is another original color lifter.
Thank you Bruce for the post. Great pictures. Our pictures seem to cause the straw/grey colors to look gold, they are not, it must be the non-natural light reflection. Your second pictures confirms the pattern markers that we were hoping to see. The color draw back around the bridle screws and the mainspring pin, combined with the lockplate edge drawback, seem to be consistant of all of the original lockplates that we have seen. The blue, purple, and straw colors are very close, just much fresher. The receivers show much more mottled patterns, strong colors, with less definition. This is due to the fact that the receivers and lockplates are made of different materials.
Brad Bachelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Brad Bachelder's homepage!
Unread 12-29-2009, 10:53 AM   #14
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,605 Times in 2,666 Posts

Brad, the color tint with photos is problematical, and with Parker case colors, its all about minor color variations. So yes, nothing beats having the gun in hand.

I think you are very close, if not there. I still recall feeling the finish was a bit too thick on the Shachter hammerless specimens I inspected at the UP shoot. I don't know how it is too thick when you are dealing with microns, but that was my impression.

Added: Brad and I talked on the phone yesterday and he told me that the reason that the Shachter actions looked like they had thick coats of finish on them was because they did. Extra thick coats of lacquer had been applied over the case colors. Without that they would look thinner and more true to Parker finishes.

Last edited by Bruce Day; 12-30-2009 at 09:54 AM..
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2009, 12:58 PM   #15
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,074 Times in 1,190 Posts

I agree with Bruce, they are nice colors but again the pattern and the colors are not Parker colors
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2009, 05:53 PM   #16
Parker Bachelder (Brad's Profile)
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,925 Times in 202 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin W Hogan View Post
The best place to look for original color is under the hammer on a lock, on the back of the frame where it contacts the stock, in the lock recesses in the frame and in the floor plate cut. Color sometimes survives on the back of the fore end latch and both sides of the forend iron.
These colors are difficult to photograph especially with digital cameras. Any stray tungsten light will redden them. Outdoor light under a cloudy sky is best ( Kodak called it Cloudy Bright). A reproducable color standard should be in the frame on at least a few pictures to check.
White mineral oil seems to revive color a little, and add a little uniformity to the surface.

Best, Austin
Austin, we have noticed the same thing while experimenting with different cameras and lighting . Here is a picture with a little less glare.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT3181.jpg (490.2 KB, 28 views)
Brad Bachelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Brad Bachelder's homepage!