Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Man's Best Friend

Notices

Unread 09-11-2023, 09:24 AM   #21
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,596 Times in 3,087 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Carr View Post
I have a friend that owns the 550 plus. Like Garry and Tom mentions it has a small screen and gives you ability to mark the truck, where is the dog, whats he doing, As well as tone, vibrate, or stimulate if needed. Just the basics but has everything I ever use 95% of the time.
That transmitter works well for me. I have a hip holster for it, so it’s out of the way (but handy). I also pair it with the smaller TT mini collar units. I’ve never had an issue with battery life.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2023, 01:48 PM   #22
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,735 Times in 1,252 Posts

Garmin
allen newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2023, 05:18 PM   #23
Brett Farley
PGCA Member

Member Info

I use the SportDog Tek 1.5 and SportDog Tek 2.0. This is only my 3rd season using a GPS system. Like the Garmin 550 the Tek 1.5 show the dogs location, your location and alerts on point. It can be itilized w/or w/o e collar system. I added a second collar to that system and SportDog was excellent to work with and help set it up. I bought the SportDog 2.0 system as a “used” never used system and as advertised it was never on a dog. It also has two collars and more collars/dogs can be added if needed. The screen shows a map and the dog’s speed, direction, etc. I have been pleased with it so far. I don’t know why but the Tek 2.0 system connects more quickly to the collar. I looked and looked at new units but the prices are crazy. My only complaint on the SportDog units is the lack of a holster for the handheld. I haven’t been able to find one whereas they are readily available for most of the Garmin models. I do like the piece of mind of having the GPS tracking of the dogs!!!
Brett Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brett Farley For Your Post:
Unread 12-30-2023, 10:26 AM   #24
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,829 Times in 2,017 Posts

Family bought me a Garmin 300i and TT25 collar for Christmas, after losing Doodle overnight in SD last January , they felt I needed one. Ive been messing with it inside and out but not put it on dogs or hunted with it in case I want to return it. Every thing is just so complicated and inconveinent as compared to my Dogtra TB 2700 dual collar system. For example, the beeper clips easily to my vest, or fits in a front shirt pocket--not so the 300i. I can just reach down and hit either locator button on the beeper unit without a glance, not so the Garmin--have to get it out, bring up the screen and stare at it like a teenager staring at his cell phone while walking down the street. I thought the Garmin was supposed to have a tone/beeper and it does but it is just for the dog to hear--you couldnt hear it past a few yards.
I dont want to put b0th collars on the dog, nor carry 2 hand units, plus their bell collar, seresto collar, jeez, they'd need longer necks. They not big running dogs, nor are they boot polishers. Willie is the biggest runner and hit a covey of quail 200 yds out the other day, but could hear the beeper , used on locate mode only) at that distance. I never use the correction/shock mode, nor use the point mode on the beeper, and the dogs are trained to return when beeped or with the vibration mode. I wish I knew someone local to give me a tutorial on the dam thing, leaning toward returning it.
Unread 12-31-2023, 03:16 AM   #25
Wilmurt
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Sorry I don’t live near you, but the 300i is simple to use. I’m 68 and have used the Garmin Alpha and upgraded this year to the 200i plus Garmin watch with dog tracker app. Couldn’t live without them. I track 2 mid-ranging setters in heavy grouse cover and quite often don’t have visual on my dogs. The Garmin is a godsend.
Tom Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tom Jay For Your Post: