Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Unread 10-14-2012, 03:21 PM   #41
Andy Kelley
Forum Associate

Member Info

Steve thanks for the photos..I love model 12's and the more worn the better...this gun was a real hunters tool .
Andy Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2012, 10:32 PM   #42
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

i saw a really nice model 12 a 20 ga today...price was 900a little to much probably but gun looked like new and no refinish that i could tell.if i woulda had a spare of 900 she woulda been mine.... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2012, 07:52 AM   #43
gman
Forum Associate

Member Info

I have a very sweet field grade 20 ga. No rib and I am definitely better shooting off the pipe than with a rib for sporting clays and for game with the pumps.

Also I am looking for a butt stock for a nickle steel 12 gauge that was my grandfathers gun. The gun is so well broken in that you just say "open" and the slide releases to the load/eject position.
Eric Grims is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2012, 11:49 AM   #44
Dennis
PGCA Member

Member Info

I have a Winchester Model 12 in 20 gauge that I bought for my son after he was born in 1971. I sent it to Simmons to have a vent rib installed and then put it in a corner for when he was old enough to use it. He shot it a few times and loved it but then passed away when he was 24. I still have it but don't use it as much as I should. Maybe with all of this talk about the Winchester Model 12 I will get it out and use it for quail a few times this year.
Dennis V. Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dennis V. Nix For Your Post:
Unread 10-15-2012, 12:07 PM   #45
Setter Man
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,636 Times in 634 Posts

Late Saturday afternoon I pulled out my M12 and off we went. No birds pointed or flushed so I didn't get to shoot it but just carrying it felt very right. Certainly not like carrying a well balanced double, but very pleasurable in it's on special way.

When I was turning 13 I spotted a 16 ga M12 in the rack of the local sporting good store and I begged my dad to get it for me for my birthday. He didn't get it for me but he did give me a 20 ga Wingmaster for Christmas that year. (he thought the 16 might be a little much for a first shotgun) I have loved and cherished that Wingmaster for 40-years but that 16 ga M12 haunted me for years. A few years ago I had a chance to pick one up and I didn't hesitate. I just wish I took it out more often.
Jay Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jay Gardner For Your Post:
Unread 10-15-2012, 02:06 PM   #46
gman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis V. Nix View Post
I have a Winchester Model 12 in 20 gauge that I bought for my son after he was born in 1971. I sent it to Simmons to have a vent rib installed and then put it in a corner for when he was old enough to use it. He shot it a few times and loved it but then passed away when he was 24. I still have it but don't use it as much as I should. Maybe with all of this talk about the Winchester Model 12 I will get it out and use it for quail a few times this year.
Boy that was the thing a while back to buy a new gun and send it right off to Simmons. I have a 1940s 12 gauge full choke with a Simmons rib that is definitely my go to trap gun. I guess it shoots about 70/30 high and I love to float the birds on it . There is also something about it that I think just smashes clay birds.
The factory ribs are nice too. To verify factory one will see the proof mark offset to the left side near the choke roll mark because the factory rib sits where the mark normall is.
Eric Grims is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2012, 07:23 PM   #47
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie cleveland View Post
i saw a really nice model 12 a 20 ga today...price was 900a little to much probably but gun looked like new and no refinish that i could tell.if i woulda had a spare of 900 she woulda been mine.... charlie
Yep, $900 is a little dear for a 20 gauge model 12, but a new Ithaca in 20 gauge I think costs around there. I just bought a bran new Wingmaster in 20 for $600. I saw a few nice 20's in Guns International yesterday for something like $500, but that ain't hay either.

I have a pretty nice 20 model 12, but it's got one of those Power Packs on it and I'm wondering if it would pass a plastic wad on threw. There is about a one inch gap between the muzzle and the base of the choke tube. It needs a good cleaning inside because she hesitates when I jack the action after a shot. I don't know if I'm up to stripping down another model 12 right now. I think I paid $625 for it 15 years ago....way too much, but that is the story of my life.

I'll have to break out my 20 gauge and take a pic of it along side the 12 and 16. A Model 12 20, is a fast little gun, but so is the Wingmaster and it is a much simplier gun.
Steve McCarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2012, 07:35 PM   #48
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Gardner View Post
Late Saturday afternoon I pulled out my M12 and off we went. No birds pointed or flushed so I didn't get to shoot it but just carrying it felt very right. Certainly not like carrying a well balanced double, but very pleasurable in it's on special way.

When I was turning 13 I spotted a 16 ga M12 in the rack of the local sporting good store and I begged my dad to get it for me for my birthday. He didn't get it for me but he did give me a 20 ga Wingmaster for Christmas that year. (he thought the 16 might be a little much for a first shotgun) I have loved and cherished that Wingmaster for 40-years but that 16 ga M12 haunted me for years. A few years ago I had a chance to pick one up and I didn't hesitate. I just wish I took it out more often.
Me Too!

Around here the clays, trap and skeet shooting is fantastic, with several nice clubs nearby. A great sporting clays range that the require that you rent a golf cart. The only hunting that I can find is off in Condon, OR and it costs thousands and thousands of dollars to shoot there...like $4000 for two days and three nites. So that's out.

Where I grew up we just drove out into the country and shot pheasants from within the brambles alongside the road, we'd get our limit. Stop the car and walk up, guns at high port. Bird flushes BANG got'em. No dog. We let hens go. All wild birds too and tough, you had to hit them hard with 5s or 6s. Tail feathers nearly as long as your arm.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve McCarty For Your Post:
Unread 10-15-2012, 07:39 PM   #49
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Grims View Post
Boy that was the thing a while back to buy a new gun and send it right off to Simmons. I have a 1940s 12 gauge full choke with a Simmons rib that is definitely my go to trap gun. I guess it shoots about 70/30 high and I love to float the birds on it . There is also something about it that I think just smashes clay birds.
The factory ribs are nice too. To verify factory one will see the proof mark offset to the left side near the choke roll mark because the factory rib sits where the mark normall is.
I attended college in Emporia, KS and Simmons wasn't too far away. I'd drive there and oogle the Brownings and new Model 12s. I lusted after a Superpose with a full set of matched barrels. In those days, the early 60s I think they cost $600 with case. WAY out of my range.
Unread 10-15-2012, 07:42 PM   #50
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Grims View Post
My 12 has a clean barrel and about a 1/2" cast off so my eye lines perfectly up with the tube. It'd be a great trap gun, I think. Trouble is I also have a SBC and which girl do you want to dance with?