Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Restoration

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 01-31-2012, 07:45 PM   #11
John Hancock
Forum Associate

Member Info

Chuck, As I think about it the bbls. may not shrink so much as go out of round. Any time I am messing with bbls., usually to do something with the choke, I use pin gauges to determine the bore size. (interesting how few bbls. are the same bore dia. the entire length) My pratice is to find a pin gauge that will pass the bbl. where I am interested in it and then note that size, add .001", and call that the bore size. I used Brownells Hi-Force 44 on the first few Superposed I did and had to drop .003" to .005" with the pin gauge to get one to go through. Started useing the TIX they sell with good results so far and the pin used before soldering would still go through after the job. Certainly any of the 60/40 type solders are a good deal stronger than TIX and if one is concerned with the possibility of the rib shooting loose use 60/40. ERIC, if you use a conventional 60/40 type solder, I think the Hi-Force 44 with the Comet Flux is mabee of the best "flowing" solder I have ever used. CHUCK, How hot is an average "dove" day in Ca.? Here in Texas seems like they don't really fly till it gets to about 104. When I was younger didn't notice, now it seems hot. Of course quit Mexico some years ago, add 10% to the temp here for a good dove field in Mex. Regards, John
John Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Hancock For Your Post: