Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Paper, Memorabilia and Books

Notices

Unread 03-20-2014, 01:32 PM   #11
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,020 Times in 1,158 Posts

I found some good ones a few years ago that struck pretty easy called RedBirds but the place that carried them stopped for some reason. They didn't actually say strike anywhere on the box but they were. The were short though, not a big long kitchen match like you really need. I'm guessing somewhere overseas you can still get the real good ones but I've looked when I've been out of the US and had no luck so far.

DLH
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2014, 08:41 AM   #12
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,784 Times in 4,718 Posts

Ohio Blue Tips have been outlawed in Maryland along with assault rifles and high capacity magazines. Linda buys them in bulk in Virginia or West Virginia, can't remember which. Same place we buy the other stuff.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2014, 08:54 AM   #13
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,040 Times in 12,321 Posts

Our various Federal, State and local governments are only doing their duty in protecting us from our stupid selves.... we might get hurt..... or even die

Personally, I agree with Darwin and I think he had it right when he said "The stupid shall perish..." or something like that.
Dean Romig is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2014, 12:31 PM   #14
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Linda must be using a time machine on those trips, they quit making them in 1987.

The only ones I can find are Diamond brand and they're pretty much strike anywhere in name only......

I hear there's a brand called Penley that are somewhat better but I've yet to find a source.

You can still buy the Red Bird brand in Canada but as I mentioned, they aren't very big.

DLH
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Unread 03-21-2014, 04:33 PM   #15
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Linda bought her last ones maybe more than a couple of years ago. "Ohio Blue Tip" is promenantly displayed on the box. They work just fine, strike on anything, just like they always did. They are also the same length they always were. My Parker match box is full of them and I keep them on the work bench by the outside barbeque area. Linda buys, or used to buy them, by the 250 box in Charlestown, WVA at the Walmart. It is right on the way to our pigeon club. Very convenient. I think they make "don't really strike anywhere" matches for some markets. I googled and read that Diamond quit making the red with white tip Ohio Blue Tips in January of 2010. Linda may have the last supply. I will check at Walmart next time I attend a pigeon shoot.
Unread 03-21-2014, 05:03 PM   #16
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

That's interesting, I just did some google work and it looks like they brought the name back out in 2012. I've never seen any of them, will have to try to locate a supply for testing.

DLH
Unread 03-21-2014, 07:31 PM   #17
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,597 Times in 1,550 Posts

The next time I'm in the Amish hardware store near my cabin (AKA "The Amish Walmart"), I'm going to see what they have for matches.
John Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2014, 04:38 PM   #18
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

The matches on the bottom I bought here a couple of years back. The top ones are the current offering I bought yesterday and you can just imagine my elation at seeing that they are now green and "sourced from responsible forests!" I just hate those irresponsible forests. Since I light my woodstove in September and rarely let it go out until almost May I have at least a lifetimes supply on the shelf now... My math says it will take me approximately 325 yrs to use up what I have in stock...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8663.JPG (316.4 KB, 0 views)
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Richard Flanders For Your Post:
Unread 03-22-2014, 06:14 PM   #19
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Way to go, Richard. I thought our supply would last forever with one each being used for the stove and the barbeque. I guess I was wrong, because we are down to the last two boxes. I guess we can make those last a bit longer since Linda loaded the barbeque match box with solid reds that have to be struck on the box. I still use the white tips on the stove. Knife maker and blacksmith Bill Moran built my fireplace tools and andirons, so I think the white tips are proper.
Match holder
Unread 03-25-2014, 08:36 AM   #20
Gary Cripps
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Match holder

Put the match holder up last night next to the stove and the Parker. Even found a few matches though I confess I took them from an old match safe I keep in a hunting kit. I know there are a couple boxes of what we call farmer matches-- where else-- up at the farm. Get them next trip.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 006.JPG (133.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 011.JPG (129.2 KB, 0 views)
Gary Cripps is offline   Reply With Quote