Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Restoration

Notices

Here's a Trojan I just acquired...
Unread 01-27-2012, 06:04 PM   #1
Walt Kowalski
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Here's a Trojan I just acquired...

If you can see through rust! It's a 20 ga with ejectors and the wood is not too bad except for a chipped buttstock (bottom of buttplate is broken off too)

Pics speak for themselves...I will be attempting to bring it back to shooter status but not sure to what extent yet!

This was my girlfriend's Dad's shotgun...after he passed it ended up in a nephew's basement in Rhode Island...a damp basement I would assume!
I think it's a damned shame that this did not go to someone appropriate, as far as firearms ownership...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg New rusty guns Jan 2012 001.jpg (508.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg New rusty guns Jan 2012 003.jpg (490.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg New rusty guns Jan 2012 005.jpg (479.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg New rusty guns Jan 2012 004.jpg (488.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg New rusty guns Jan 2012 002.jpg (509.4 KB, 3 views)
ron belanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2012, 06:34 PM   #2
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,370 Posts

What am I missing, ejectors on a Trojan, I don't see evidence of them in the pictures.

Very sad that it was allowed to rot in someone's basement, it was someone's pride and joy once upon a time.
Pete Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2012, 07:41 PM   #3
Walt Kowalski
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Lester View Post
What am I missing, ejectors on a Trojan, I don't see evidence of them in the pictures.

Very sad that it was allowed to rot in someone's basement, it was someone's pride and joy once upon a time.
Well...perhaps I'm calling ejectors the little tab that ejects the shells when the shotgun is opened...it's located under the barrels and is fitted in there quite nicely. Forgive me if I am using the wrong terminology! If you look at the picture showing the chambers (as in looking into the breech) it is located right there at the bottom of the chamber orifices...that "ejector" is right there under the rust! By the way I only added that it has "ejectors " because I had read someone else's description of a shotgun...apparently they all don't have ejectors so you need to remove the shells with your fingers?? Again, excuse my ignorance as I am a newbie side by side owner...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg New rusty guns Jan 2012 005 - Copy.JPG (128.5 KB, 2 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to ron belanger For Your Post:
Unread 01-27-2012, 07:56 PM   #4
Walt Kowalski
Forum Associate

Member Info

Okay, I just did a search on "ejectors" and saw a photo of something my gun does not have....perhaps mine has "EXTRACTORS" as someone on one of those searches pointed out...sorry for the confusion...learning the terminology as I go!
Unread 01-27-2012, 08:08 PM   #5
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Your gun has extractors rather than ejectors which kick the empties out of the chambers when the gun is opened. Extractors simply pull the shell out of the chamber a very short distance so one can pull them out with one's fingers. Ejectors were not an option on Trojan grade guns.

However......anything is possible, we recently were treated to another 20 ga Trojan with 30" barrels when all records said no such thing existed.

Don't worry about not knowing details at this stage of your find. There are plenty of people that will help you learn the myriad of Parker in and outs which no person can know 100%. However I must warn you that lowly Trojan 20ga is dangerous.........it's like a gateway drug..........once you start looking after it and if it's shootable and you take out......well you are going to be compelled to find more Parkers
The Following User Says Thank You to Pete Lester For Your Post:
Unread 01-27-2012, 08:10 PM   #6
winplumber
PGCA Member

Member Info

Please , If that is oil keep it off the wood !!
Steve Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2012, 08:15 PM   #7
Walt Kowalski
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Huffman View Post
Please , If that is oil keep it off the wood !!
Yes it was oil and I kept wiping it off...eventually I removed the stock so as not to expose it to the oil.
Seems that the stock was very dark in that area anyway which would attribute that a previous owner oiled the wood too...I guess..??
Unread 01-27-2012, 08:20 PM   #8
Walt Kowalski
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Your gun has extractors rather than ejectors which kick the empties out of the chambers when the gun is opened. Extractors simply pull the shell out of the chamber a very short distance so one can pull them out with one's fingers. Ejectors were not an option on Trojan grade guns.

However......anything is possible, we recently were treated to another 20 ga Trojan with 30" barrels when all records said no such thing existed.

Don't worry about not knowing details at this stage of your find. There are plenty of people that will help you learn the myriad of Parker in and outs which no person can know 100%. However I must warn you that lowly Trojan 20ga is dangerous.........it's like a gateway drug..........once you start looking after it and if it's shootable and you take out......well you are going to be compelled to find more Parkers
How truly you speak, my good man!
Already I have visions of sugar plum, Parkers dancing in my head...but alas...those will have to wait...until I finish this one!
Unread 01-27-2012, 08:20 PM   #9
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Petroleum based oil destroys the fiber of wood. Makes it punky and the result is the stock "breaks" where it meets the receiver. The only thing that should be put on the wood is a mix of Murphy's Oil Soap and a rag. Go easy with that too. In fact take it easy with all the gun cleaning accessories in your picture. Don't touch any screws without using proper fitting screw drivers. Often times a good brushing of the barrels with some hoppes #9, some Murphy's Oil Soap and water, on the stock, using a tooth brush with it in the checkering is all that is needed. Leave cleaning internals to a competent gunsmith. Best to have it looked at by the same before firing too.

I don't mean for this to sound like a lecture. Your gun is antique and many antiques have been ruined and their value decreased by someone trying to make it better.
Unread 01-27-2012, 08:35 PM   #10
Walt Kowalski
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Petroleum based oil destroys the fiber of wood. Makes it punky and the result is the stock "breaks" where it meets the receiver. The only thing that should be put on the wood is a mix of Murphy's Oil Soap and a rag. Go easy with that too. In fact take it easy with all the gun cleaning accessories in your picture. Don't touch any screws without using proper fitting screw drivers. Often times a good brushing of the barrels with some hoppes #9, some Murphy's Oil Soap and water, on the stock, using a tooth brush with it in the checkering is all that is needed. Leave cleaning internals to a competent gunsmith. Best to have it looked at by the same before firing too.

I don't mean for this to sound like a lecture. Your gun is antique and many antiques have been ruined and their value decreased by someone trying to make it better.
I agree...thanks for the reminder! Easy to get carried away when I have a project like this...