Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 12-23-2019, 09:19 PM   #31
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,533 Times in 3,406 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Franzen View Post
A buddy I used to work with back in the 1979’s, one day showed up at my house with mod 70 375 HH. Said he had just bought it and couldn’t wait to try it out. He pulled out a cartridge and handed it to me and I thought holy sh€¥!! We set a tin can up about 50 yards out in the field. Neither of us had hearing protection, safety glasses or other non-essentials. He brought the rifle up and nestled it against his T-shirt. He took careful aim and squeezed the trigger. The massive blast momentarily stunned us. He reeled backwards 3 or 4 steps. Handing me the rifle he said you try it. I told him to go to hell. He never shot the gun again and shortly thereafter traded it away.
Back in the mid to late 80’s Remington brought out the 416 Rem Mag and of course it intrested me . So six or so months after it had appeared in the gun rags a very slightly used Remington 700 Safari turned up at Clark Brothers in Warrenton VA and it just so happened my skeet shooting two man team partner and I were on the way to FAirfax R&G To shoot a couple rounds of skeet and then on to the old Betetta Gun Club that’s now the Prince George’s Shooting Center to shoot two more rounds . Anyway the 416 was in the better used rack behind the counter with a sign that said FIRED TWICE two boxes ammo missing two included. Turns out some over paid doctor or attorney from the NOVA DC area decided he needed it for an upcoming safari , so they called the Remington Custom Shop and got it for him along with a box of solids and a box of lead tips . Guy paid for the gun carried it around back to shoot it . Put up his target at I assume 50 yards shooting iron sights and let fly . He laid the gun down with very wide eyes not believing what just happened . Then drank a soda walked around a bit and decided to shoot again . After the second shot he picked up the two boxes of ammo and the gun with the bolt still closed on the empty case holding it by the barrel close to the muzzle end and walked back in the shop handed them the gun and told them to sell the damn thing . When I saw it they were asking around $800 I think if memory serves . I often regret not buying that gun .?
Unread 12-24-2019, 05:00 AM   #32
Brett Hoop
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigThompson View Post
Quite frankly I AM trying to shoot groups and I generally shoot pretty damn good groups with the bigger boys . The 375 H&H is fine from the bench , the 416 Rigby and Rem Mag are okay with a break after two or three 3 shot groups . I will say however I had a Ruger 1H in 458 Win Mag that thumped pretty well , but still shot some decent groups with it when I was working up a load . The 505 Gibbs I thought was going to punish me but in reality it wasn’t as bad as the 458 or so I thought . The guy that owns CH-4D and I had a pretty decent discussion on shooting double rifles and he was an advocate of the standing bench , personally I’ve never cared for a standing bench but to each his own .
I was referring to someone that has little or no experience with medium or large bore rifles and is wanting to provide themselves with a good introduction.
And at this first introduction the seated bench is not your friend. Later once you have realized you can squeeze the trigger and not be altered, you can move to the bench and evaluate the rifles accuracy potential and learn all about eye relief and it's importance.
Your friend at CH-4D is absolutely correct when it comes to the use of a standing bench for double rifle regulation and load development. Getting two pipes to shoot to the same point and not cross can be great fun.
Brett Hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2019, 07:53 AM   #33
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,345 Times in 4,421 Posts

I need a 1911 45 too.
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mills Morrison For Your Post:
Unread 12-24-2019, 09:10 AM   #34
Gary Laudermilch
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,101 Times in 674 Posts

I shot a 460 Weatherby once. Never again. That damn thing would give you a concussion.
Gary Laudermilch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gary Laudermilch For Your Post:
Unread 12-24-2019, 09:37 AM   #35
George "Scott" Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,338 Times in 364 Posts

Three guns are on my wish list:
1. Browning Citori 725 28 gauge 32 inch barrels grade III or higher.
2. GH Parker 16 gauge with 30 inch barrels for complete make over and restocked to my dimensions.
3. Parker GH 12 gauge with 32 inch barrels.
George Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2019, 02:34 PM   #36
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,795 Times in 3,967 Posts

on my list would be a 8 ga hammerless parker with 4 1/4 inch chambers 36 inch barrels and weigh in at 12 lbs....and my other gun would be a 4 gauge double holland and holland maker and 4 1/2 inch chambers to shoot ball or shot...weigh in at 16 lb....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2019, 02:52 PM   #37
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,873 Times in 4,756 Posts

Charlie, most 36" eight gauge Parkers weigh more than you specify.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2019, 03:03 PM   #38
Brett Hoop
PGCA Member

Member Info

I have been thinking on this and like Gary I will know it when I see it. But most of all, I want for my friends who missed last year to be healthy and able this year.
Brett Hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Brett Hoop For Your Post:
Unread 12-24-2019, 04:50 PM   #39
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,735 Times in 1,252 Posts

Any clean, all original 20 ga Parker in shooting condition
allen newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2019, 04:52 PM   #40
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,977 Times in 1,126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Budgeon View Post
At this point in life, I won't know I want it until I see it and I still may pass.
The more i've thought about Craig's post the more sense it makes. Thinking back, none of my favorite guns are guns I went after, trying to find. All of them were offered to me by friends, either close by, or long distant internet friends, or i just happened upon them.

Reminds me of an old saying that....."You'll back over more good luck than you'll ever run down".

Fun, ain't it?

SRH
Stan Hillis is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Hillis For Your Post: