Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Three for Three and a Hickory Stick Double.....
Unread 11-28-2011, 02:23 PM   #1
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,045 Times in 1,173 Posts

Default Three for Three and a Hickory Stick Double.....

The weather man was calling for a wintry mix this morning, a little rain and snow mix with some wind thrown in for good measure. Wasn't really planning on going but woke up at 5am wide awake and figured it was just meant to be.

Headed out to the Mud Hole knowing the ducks were probably completely gone but that I had a good chance on some geese. I was right on the ducks, never saw a bird. Looks like I may have shot my last one on that little slough.

Lots of crows around all of a sudden, the migrants must be passing through. A good size flock crossed the other end of the marsh and my trigger finger was itchy. One of the duck calls I carry will make a fair crow call if you cup your hands right. I started squalling a bit and turned them. They came over about 35 yards high and I managed to knock out a double. Felt pretty good about that considering my failure on the pair of geese Thanksgiving morning.

Few more crows flying around but I knew that if I kept up the shooting I'd end up flaring geese. I'd rather shoot those so I left the black marauders alone for another day. Sure enough, few minutes later a group of three passed in the distance. I start calling hard and the back bird turns, makes a couple swings, and decoys right in feet down. A quick shot puts him in the game bag. That's three for three, I was feeling pretty good about myself needless to say.

About an hour later a group of four works me hard but won't finish for some reason. They swung and locked up several times but just wouldn't get inside 50 yards. When that happens you always start looking for something wrong. I had a pair of decoys touching so figured maybe that was my problem. Sometimes a little thing like that is all it takes when you're hunting geese that have smelled the smoke of battle a few times. I walk out into the spread to fix them, leave my gun laying in my hide like a rookie. Soon as I get them moved, a group of five comes honking over the trees. A couple clucks on the call gets them to lock their wings and glide right over me 30 yards high. All I could do was raise my wading stick for a snappy imaginary double and hope to see them again tomorrow.

I stayed awhile longer but there wasn't much moving so I packed it in for the day. I believe Jim is joining me in the morning for what could be our last Mud Hole hunt ever. Michigan season goes out on the 4th and the weather is supposed to turn colder so skim ice could close it up before then.

DLH

P.S. Could have had a hell of a dove shoot if they were legal game here in the far north. Migrating flocks were landing in the timber all around the slough constantly all morning, I'd say I conservatively saw 1000, probably more, trees were full all morning long. I'll catch them next September in Southern Illinois.
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Destry L. Hoffard For Your Post:
Unread 11-28-2011, 04:20 PM   #2
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,796 Times in 3,967 Posts

sounds like you had very good morning at the mud hole...congratulations on the double sounds like it was a short slump to me...yep many a time ive aimed that imangary gun my arm and fingers at game.... thought this only happened to me guess not...may the geese fall from the sky tommorrow...boy its wet and wind blowing good here a fine day for you duck hunters...im trying to dry out rite now im fixin to head back to woods try to get a buck...im layin off the does for a few days unless there mighty close for the old 8...you and jim have a goodin..... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote