Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Just back from hunting
Unread 08-20-2015, 10:11 PM   #1
Elk Hunter
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Just back from hunting

Forgive me I've sinned again. It's not a Parker not even a shotgun.

The wife and I after a year and a half of planning and waiting left on 7/31 and returned yesterday 8/19. Had a great time hunting with "Mowana Big Game Hunting" in Limpopo Provence South Africa. The wife took Gemsbok, Zebra and Impala. I took these two with my 1882 Cogswell & Harrison 577 2 3/4" BPE double. Wish we had had time to hunt birds. Maybe next time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg buffalo.JPG (83.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Kudu.JPG (107.6 KB, 6 views)
Dennis E. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2015, 10:18 PM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,195 Times in 12,369 Posts

Nice trophies!!

Massive bosses on that buff!

Did they go down easy with that big .577 slug?

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2015, 10:30 PM   #3
TxHuntermn
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,318 Times in 755 Posts

Nice ivory tips on that Kudu! Congrats particularly on the Kudu with the BPE! Difficult animal to get into "big bore" range. Have to admit that most of my plains game animals have been taken with 300 Win, and my wife's with a left handed . 284 winchester. At some more distance than within the .577's capabilities.

I bet that was one Hell of a lot of fun!!! Again Congrats!!!
Unread 08-22-2015, 11:44 AM   #4
Elk Hunter
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
Nice trophies!!

Massive bosses on that buff!

Did they go down easy with that big .577 slug?
The Kudu was a bit of a problem. A sixty yard moving shot in brush. The bullet struck a branch about half way to him, deflected hitting him in the left hip passed through breaking the right leg near the hip. Tracked 3KM before I put one through the chest. Motive operations ceased at that time. He was rendered inoperable.

The buffalo was a twenty yard frontal shot. The herd including my bull ran off stopping fifty yards away. The bull was down but not dead. The PH had me put two in the shoulder as that is the type of buffalo that gets up very mad bent on teaching you some manners. As the bull did his death bellow the herd came back to rescue him. We did a retrograde movement, that is we ran like chickens and got the truck to move them away so we could recover him. Have you ever tried to run in wait-a-bit thorn areas? I'll be a month healing up. The front bullet had done great damage to his heart. That bullet was recovered in the paunch. The two through the shoulder did great damage to the lungs but were not recovered. The bullets were cast from type metal and weighed 525 grains and had a very large meplat/nose.

I had missed a much bigger bull, well over 40 inches, the day before. It was a seventy yard walking shot. I'm sure I over shot him. Next time I'm taking my 416 Rigby as it has a scope and much longer range than an open sighted double. Some where out there there is a 48" buffalo with my name on him.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dennis E. Jones For Your Post:
Unread 08-26-2015, 04:14 AM   #5
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,527 Times in 3,401 Posts

Very nice and congrats ! In trips past have you ever taken a Sitatunga ?
CraigThompson is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2015, 02:04 PM   #6
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

I shot my first double rifle this summer at Hausmans and have been wanting one ever since esp one with hammers and a Jones under lever. Very,very cool. Congrats on a couple of nice trophies. Once Africa gets in your blood your hooked forever.
Unread 08-29-2015, 12:34 PM   #7
Elk Hunter
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Anderson View Post
I shot my first double rifle this summer at Hausmans and have been wanting one ever since esp one with hammers and a Jones under lever. Very,very cool. Congrats on a couple of nice trophies. Once Africa gets in your blood your hooked forever.

Be careful or you'll get hooked on double rifles. I'll confess to owning more than one and I haven't been pursuing smooth bore doubles with the same passion I did before my first double rifle. As for Africa getting in your blood, you're right. We're looking for a Moose hunt for the wife next year or the one following, then back to Africa. There is no bigger thrill, at least for me, than buffalo in the thorn brush at bad breath range. Somewhere in Africa there is a 48" buffalo with my name on it.
Unread 08-29-2015, 09:41 PM   #8
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

I have my eye on an Isaac Hollis 500 B.P.E. with a Jones underlever and hammers. It's a nice rifle but there is a project nearing completion then two more in the works.

My last trip to Zimm I used a custom 416 Taylor for just about everything including Buff. They are fun to hunt esp close up and personal.
Unread 08-31-2015, 11:55 PM   #9
John Havard
PGCA Member

Member Info

A 48" buff is like an 80" Alaska/Yukon bull moose. They are out there but very hard to find! congratulations on a fine hunt using a fine weapon. I think those lovely old under-lever double rifles are the bees knees and quite functional to boot. Thanks for sharing your hunt with us.

John