Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 10-04-2010, 09:42 AM   #91
Bill Bates
Forum Associate

Member Info

I have had some great weekend hikes in the mountains while carrying a shotgun. I would call it grouse hunting but the game bag says thats a lie. My poor dog is wondering why I keep taking where there so few birds. It been hot and windy and yesterday a thunder storm blew through but we still had a great weekend on the mountain. The weather babe says Fall weather is coming mid week.

Here are a few snap shots from this weekend.

heading out for some blue/dusky grouse

A couple of years ago we shoot our limit in just a few minutes on the ridge in the background...this year not a bird.

Me admiring the GH

me and Timber on saturday morning taking a break ... forgive me but thats my little H&H/Webley & Scott.

Bill Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bates For Your Post:
Visit Bill Bates's homepage!
Worms in Ruffed grouse and pheasants
Unread 10-06-2010, 03:14 PM   #92
Feathersjr
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Worms in Ruffed grouse and pheasants

Mark:

I was corresponding with the senior biologist for The Ruffed Grouse Society yesterday and mentioned your thread on finding worms in the grouse. He stated that he had seen worms in both ruffed grouse and pheasant and they were not in the meat, but between the skin and the meat. Further, he said he may have eaten one or two from cooked grouse, they were not harmful, but that most folks just couldn't get past the thought of eating the bird that had them. I'll be in Wisconsin grouse hunting next week near the UP border and I hope we don't find them in any of the grouse we take. If you need further information contact Mark Banker, Senior Biologist for RGS.

John
John R. Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John R. Richards For Your Post:
Unread 10-06-2010, 04:01 PM   #93
Roundsworth
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thank you, John. Our DNR website had an article stating that the worms were harmless if the meat was prepared properly. They definitely were under the skin, not in the meat or digestive tract. The large ones were about 2" long and the little ones were about an inch. I am afraid that I am one of those that can't bring myself to eat the bird after finding a bunch of worms! Good luck with your hunt. Cheers!
'Desert Storm'
'Southern Watch'
Mark Landskov is offline   Reply With Quote
Maybe a good brine bath first- then marinate
Unread 10-06-2010, 07:41 PM   #94
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Maybe a good brine bath first- then marinate

I love to cook wild game birds and also venison. If I have some upland birds with lead pellets and purple flesh from clotted blood, I soak for 48 hours in a covered ceramic pot like you might use to make sauerkraut)-- I dissolve about half a cup of Morton's Kosher salt in warm water, then stir that into about 3-4 quarts of cold tap water, and put the gutted birds, whether skinned or not, into that and let stand for two days in a cool place.

Then I disjoint the birds, and cut away any visible damaged flesh, then marinate for 24 hours in Vernor's ginger ale- pat dry, pepper, wrap in bacon and sweet onion slices (heavy with the bacon) place in a Corning ware glass cooking dish, seal tightly with Reynold's wrap, and place in a 350 degree preheated oven- about 75 minutes- remove, let stand with the foil on for 10 minutes, serve with wild rice and mushrooms and a fine chilled Mosel, Piesporter or Liebfraumilch--wild greens salad and Parker house rolls of course
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Francis Morin For Your Post:
Unread 10-07-2010, 10:49 PM   #95
Feathersjr
PGCA Member

Member Info

Smile

Good Lord, I got hungry just reading that......

John
John R. Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John R. Richards For Your Post:
Unread 10-10-2010, 04:43 PM   #96
Roundsworth
PGCA Member

Member Info

I brought home two male Ruffies today. When I picked up the second one, I thought he had to be the biggest bird I ever shot! I know, just like the old story when the biggest fish got away! But, I weighed this bird before dressing it out and it weighed 1-1/2 pounds. I will do a 'Google' and see what the averages are. Any of you ever get curious and weigh your birds? Cheers!

USDA/MN DNR says 1 to 1-3/4 pounds.
'Desert Storm'
'Southern Watch'

Last edited by Mark Landskov; 10-10-2010 at 05:00 PM..
Mark Landskov is offline   Reply With Quote