Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 07-20-2011, 09:00 AM   #11
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,708 Times in 877 Posts

Charlie,

I bought 500 of the 16 GA. 2.5" Cheddite primed hulls from Precision Reloading and have 250 loaded for doves to shoot in the VH and Trojan with short chambers. They are great people to work with and I told them I needed a low pressure 1 oz. load and they fixed one up for me at 7200 psi. I like loading my own since I have on hand what I need and don't run out of any particular shot size. Loaded 7.5, 8, & 8.5 for doves. Our first Saturday in Sept. you can hunt Canada Geese in the morning (10 limit) and doves in the afternoon (15 limit). When the limit on geese was five many days I kiled my limit on both geese and doves but it is too hard to get ten geese and then what the heck do you do with them? I've tried making gooseburger but it just does not taste quite right to me.
Jerry Harlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2011, 04:04 PM   #12
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,796 Times in 3,967 Posts

early sounds like you have one heck of a fine hunting day on geese and ducks...i never did come up with any good recipes for those old geese either..been about 40 years since ive tried eating one of them tough rascals...sure was fun hunting them things believe it or not my first goose was taken with a pellet rifle...never have loaded chedite hulls before...do they load ok and make nice crimps... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2011, 04:27 PM   #13
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Charlie,

Geese and doves in the same day. In September if you kill the little ones at the back of the flock, the ones that just hatched that spring you would think you had deer tenderloin. I fried some young goose steaks in an egg and flour batter with onions and my hunting buddies told me it was the best tenderloin they had ever eaten.

The new 16 2.5" Cheddite hulls make perfect loads with the nine-point crimp. Beautiful shells. But the ones I tried to resize after firing once had the brass crushed by the Mec resizing ring. So I'll have to skip resizing them or buy a new collet for the Mec super-sizer.
reloading
Unread 07-20-2011, 05:29 PM   #14
Twice Shooter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Default reloading

There's a good chance one of the fingers on your resizer is broken. Tom
Tom Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2011, 07:54 PM   #15
Milton Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

That reminds.me Charlie I need to get some 10 ga hulls to you. Watch for brass splinting on these winchesters. I myself am.thinking of buying some rmc solid brass and rmc reloading kit. . Will set me back about 160$ but I hear those brass cases.can.last.hundreds or more reloads I read where one guy got 3000 loads per shell low psi tho.
Milton Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2011, 07:57 PM   #16
Milton Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Harlow View Post
Charlie,

Geese and doves in the same day. In September if you kill the little ones at the back of the flock, the ones that just hatched that spring you would think you had deer tenderloin. I fried some young goose steaks in an egg and flour batter with onions and my hunting buddies told me it was the best tenderloin they had ever eaten.

The new 16 2.5" Cheddite hulls make perfect loads with the nine-point crimp. Beautiful shells. But the ones I tried to resize after firing once had the brass crushed by the Mec resizing ring. So I'll have to skip resizing them or buy a new collet for the Mec super-sizer.
I bought a 16 ga so I could shoot purple hulls haha. It was a ithaca 37 57' vintage. It was one of the models without the trigger disconnecter . It kicked worse than.my.2 1/4 oz 10 ga shells. I got it for 180$ sold it though to my boss for 100$
Milton Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2011, 09:33 PM   #17
Keith Parrish
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Anderson View Post
You can shoot Rabbits in July??
308. Brush, Cottontail and Pigmy Rabbits, and Varying Hare (Snowshoe).
(a) General Season and Area: The general season shall open on July 1 extending through the last Sunday in January, and shall be open statewide except for that area described in (d) below.

and I don't live in the area described...

In California you can. And yes there are permits for some farms that need to protect their crops but I have to hunt mine on the open range no crop to attract them too only grasses and a lil water hole down below the house.
Keith Parrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2011, 10:50 PM   #18
Bill Faulk
Banned

Member Info

We can shoot nor shoot at these big ole flop ears, Jack Rabbits at any time we see them.We clean them,skin them and then nail meat to a pine board.
Then roast over a charcoal fire for 20 minutes.
Throw away nthe rabbit and eat the board as it is more tender..
william faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2011, 10:58 PM   #19
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Carter View Post
There's a good chance one of the fingers on your resizer is broken. Tom
Tom,

The 16 loader I'm using is a 600 Jr. with the short shell kit. The resizing ring that slips right over American brass/steel/aluminum crushes the Cheddite metal, whatever it is, I was referring to getting a 16 GA collet for my Mec Super-sizer; only have 12 gauge now for the free-standing unit.

Don't know why it does it, but the first three once fired hulls I tried to deprime and resize, were trashed.
Unread 07-20-2011, 10:58 PM   #20
Keith Parrish
Forum Associate

Member Info

HAHAHAHA!!!!
YOU GOTA GET YOU ONE OF THEM CROCK POTS THERE BILL...

YOUR BOARD WILL COME OUT FALLING OFF THE NAILS!!!! TENDER AND JUICY JUST HOW I LIKE EM!
Keith Parrish is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Keith Parrish For Your Post: