Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Future of Parker Collection and Double Gun Collecting
Unread 03-20-2015, 11:45 PM   #1
Eldon Goddard
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Default Future of Parker Collection and Double Gun Collecting

It seems to me that most double gun collectors are not in the 18 to 30 range and I do not know how many of our organization are under 30 like myself but it does not seem like a lot.(I think this just goes to show with age comes wisdom) So what do you think will be the future of these guns? What will happen in 30 years when the majority of those interested in these guns are gone? I would hope that more younger people take interest but from my experience my generation has no interest in antique vintage guns of any kind. It is not hard to find people interested in guns and many interested in buying their first gun but all go right to buying glocks and ar-15s. I do my best to get friends interested by taking out my stuff and having them shoot them but I have never successfully interested anyone in buying or collecting them. What do you guys think?
Eldon Goddard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Eldon Goddard For Your Post:
Unread 03-21-2015, 05:52 AM   #2
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,918 Times in 4,777 Posts

Collectors normally don't get interested in shotguns costing thousands of dollars until the get to the age where they can pay for them.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 03-21-2015, 06:27 AM   #3
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,358 Times in 12,409 Posts

And in the current (for the last decade plus) economy, that will not soon happen. Every younger person I talk to balks at the price of buying even an inexpensive Parker of $2K or less.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2015, 07:05 AM   #4
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,869 Times in 2,032 Posts

I see part of the problem, as the lack/difficulty of upland hunting opportunities. It used to be that a youngster got involved with hunting and guns by small game hunting, rabbits and birds. Now it is the almighty deer that drives youth hunting and you don't use doubles for that. I have been a chapter chairman for the Ruffed Grouse Society for 30 years now, and most of the people that attend haven't seen a grouse in 10 years, thus the interest in that kind of hunting doesn't develop. My son, 27, has shot deer and turkeys, but has never shot a grouse--he has shot game farm pheasant. When I was in college, I was reading the works of Spillers, Woolner, Evans, Knight, etc and within 6 weeks of graduating from optometry school bought a Brittany, and a 16 ga Fox SW Deluxe and 16 ga Parker VH 16( still shoot both) because that was what in my mind were the proper guns for upland hunting. My father was a hunter, but he died when I was 7, luckily, I had mentors in my Uncle Sam, and my best friend's(Terry) father who looked after a poor(and yes, we were quite poor) boy and took me hunting(rabbits and grouse) frequently. I killed my first grouse with a 12 ga SXS, one of those Stevens with the nylon stock--boy did it kick--and I have been shooting SXS's since.
I know this is kind of a long diatribe, but we must first get the youth interested in hunting upland and expose them to double guns so that when they are older they can appreciate good/fine guns and continue our passion.
Unread 03-21-2015, 07:10 AM   #5
Kensal Rise
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,577 Times in 926 Posts

To borrow a phrase from Robert Ruark, "Something of Value" begins with one's perception of value.

In our case, that value only partially resides in the gun itself. Sure, Parkers and other fine double guns have intrinsic value. They are not only tools of sport, but works of art.

But to find true value in the double gun, it must encompass intangible things. Like a crisp, clear Autumn morning. The excitment of youth. The anticipation of the flush. A great dog and companion. And... in great measure, a reverence for the tradition of hunting and shooting along with a respect for the game involved.

Sadly, today's youth have little of that. They see guns as they see computers. As machines. And the context they are used in is combat. Virtual or otherwise. Thus, black guns and pistols with plastic stocks are the norm. Double guns with engraving and figured wood stocks are not.

The traditions of America also also gone. Nothing is revered. Nothing is romantic. The measure of success in anything is quantity. Like piled up doves... or a top score in Call of Duty.

It all adds up to a cultural shift. The cost issue is only part of that. I priced a new Ruger 762 the other day. They're $1800 worth of plastic, paint and sloppy fit. No thank you.

Still, I would love to get more young people involved in doubles. And I think the PGCA has made a good start with its youth efforts. They should be expanded.

But age does not always bring sophistication in taste. Or wealth.

Enjoy your doubles whilst ye may...
John Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2015, 08:42 AM   #6
John Truitt
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,075 Times in 338 Posts

Well said Mr Campbell!!

The answer to the original question posed is multifactorial.
One facet is exposure to the guns/ culture/ etc.
I would imagine most here have memories / fond memories of dad or grand dad and other companions who hunted/ carried/ shot side by sides. Each year and each generation we are getting future away from that exposure. The distance created is by cultural changes/ technology advances in shotguns/ etc.
So it would be concluded that a young person today who has no exposure to a Parker, or other side by side/ vintage gun, would seek out that treasure/ or object of value in the future. They have no or very little tie to such a thing.

IMO that is why the PGCA/LCSCA/ FCA/ etc are so important. These organizations will be the tools to provide the exposure to the public/ interested parties. Events like the Southern side by side and Vintage Cup/ Pheasant fest/ Orvis Cup etc are serving the same purpose.

I think with the continued existence of the PGCA and other organizations like it the future of double guns is bright and full of possibilities.
John Truitt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to John Truitt For Your Post:
Unread 03-21-2015, 09:12 AM   #7
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,358 Times in 12,409 Posts

Right on Dr. John!

Key words are certainly "exposure" and "the future of double guns is bright and full of possibilities." but it is our (every one of us) responsibility to expose young folks to these guns and the activities and fun that goes along with it... or the 'possibilities' will be very limited.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 03-21-2015, 09:13 AM   #8
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,873 Times in 2,372 Posts

Quote:
Collectors normally don't get interested in shotguns costing thousands of dollars until the get to the age where they can pay for them.
Come on Bill!! Doesn't everyone start in their teens like we did? I mowed a lot of lawns and still had to borrow $40 from my Father for that Super-Fox.
Dave Noreen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Noreen For Your Post:
Unread 03-21-2015, 10:16 AM   #9
Austin J Hawthorne Jr.
PGCA Member

Member Info

In my case gun preferences seem to have skipped a generation. I started my oldest son shooting with a sxs on clay birds thrown with a hand thrower. He hit a few, and showed some interest in shooting but never did well until I bought him an over/under. I don't know if it was the fit, or feel, of the over/under but his shooting improved with that gun. We still shoot at various sxs events and he enjoys using my Parker's but whenever he shoots alone he goes right back to the over/under. My Grandsons, on the other hand, go right to the Parker's and Foxes. So maybe there is some hope. There might be a waning of interest now, but I don't think that the future of side x sides is as bleak as it appears.
Austin J Hawthorne Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Austin J Hawthorne Jr. For Your Post:
Unread 03-21-2015, 10:30 AM   #10
Eldon Goddard
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
Bill I have found many good usable doubles locally for around 500 dollars about the cost of a glock. Especially Ithacas and Bakers. Also many gun owners I know are willing to spend over 3000 on an AR.
Eldon Goddard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Eldon Goddard For Your Post: