Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Restoration

Notices

Unread 02-18-2013, 04:13 PM   #31
Jawjadawg
Forum Associate

Member Info

I have a question about the appropriateness of using an ultrasonic cleaner for certain applications. For instance, I have a gun (hopefully pictured below) that has a patina on the receiver. I can see a little case color on the tang but have no idea what's below the patina - clean metal, or case colors??? Should I try submerging the receiver in an ultrasonic cleaner? This is a Hunter Arms manufactured 410 of which there were less than 250 produced, so I don't want to do the "wrong" thing.

will evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Ultresonic
Unread 02-18-2013, 06:38 PM   #32
Twice Shooter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Default Ultresonic

Mr. Dave Sir, I canot speak for others but I have had no bad experiences using the Lyman cleaner and distilled water. It does not remove patina or colors. The colors are very vibrant after cleaning. I did have one bad experience using tap water and Dawn dish washng liquid. That episode left splotches of clear places on the receiver. I tent to think it was caused by the minerals in the water but it could have been the chemicals in the Dawn, or a combination of both. I don't know. I'm glad the owner is a friend. I do know I will use the Lyman product till the cows get mad and leave for a better place. In fact, I just ordered a gallon of the Lyman metal cleaning product. I am very impressed with it. Cheers, Tom
Tom Carter is offline   Reply With Quote