Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Rules regarding a restorstion project.
Unread 06-27-2018, 08:09 PM   #1
King Cobb
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,521 Times in 405 Posts

Default Rules regarding a restorstion project.

I have a restoration I will possibly be undertaking in the future. The buyin price is such that I am comfortable with the long term cost of the restoration. It just remains to be seen whether the actual condition of such a gun calls for it regarding the metal and such.

My question for ya'll educated men is this though:
The stock will need replacing if I do a full restore, the wood is at such a point where the experts I know do not feel it could be effectively fully restored. It could be made to look better, but not if the whole gun is restored. It just wouldn't look correct.

Now, the question is, even with a top of the line restoration, the originality of the gun is gone. Is there a need or responsibility of the owner to restore the stock to original factory design. Basically, would it be considered a foolish or heinous act to take a pistol gripped stock and replace it with a stock with a "ball grip", wrong term but I can't keep it straight, such as found on some hammerless parkers or just a straight stock.

I know it would be my money and my choice, but I am legitimately asking your opinions on the matter.

Thanks for your consideration of my query.
Unread 06-27-2018, 08:19 PM   #2
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,541 Times in 4,621 Posts

Changing stock dimensions is a very common thing that people want to do. They want to restore a gun, but the original dims are not shootable and the owner wants to change them to more favorable dims. Or recutting chokes is another common thing.

The first thing to consider is if the specs on the gun can be documented via records/letter. AND, how rare the gun is by way of grade and configuration. If there is no documentation to verify the soecs you want to change, then do it.

Now, grip configuration is easily verified for any gun that has surviving records. It is one of the main basic specs for a gun.

Maybe an upgrade is a better way to go than a restoration. ???

Ultimately it is your gun. Do what you want with it.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 06-27-2018, 09:17 PM   #3
Chris T.
PGCA Member

Member Info

I don't think it will have much effect on the value of a restored gun. I like straight stocks, I wouldn't shy away from any gun that was converted to a straight stock restored or not if the work was done properly. But...Brian is right, it's your gun so do what will make you happy.

Also, you still have the original stock.
Chris Travinski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris Travinski For Your Post:
Unread 06-27-2018, 09:51 PM   #4
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

The quality and accuracy of the work is the most important part of any restoration. Period.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 06-27-2018, 10:22 PM   #5
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,345 Times in 4,421 Posts

If converting from straight stock to pistol grip or vice versa, the trigger guard is different. Just something to keep in mind
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2018, 10:26 PM   #6
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Yup. Add about $300-500 for guard and engraving.
Unread 06-28-2018, 12:12 AM   #7
TroutSetter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I had my VH 20 Ga restocked. When I got it, the stock had already been replaced by someone else, rather poorly. The fit and finish wasn't correct at all. The stock was missing the inlaid shield, correct pistol grip cap, and correct buttplate. So, it was a great candidate for restoration.

I had it restocked to my dimensions. But, as Brian points out, my letter identified the original grip configuration and I left that alone. I prefer a straight stock, but chose to leave it as a capped pistol grip with the proper buttplate, shield, and cap. I also had the chambers lengthened to 2 3/4", but I left the original chokes alone.

I wanted to leave the gun in as much original configuration as possible, but have one that fits me and serve well in the grouse woods. If I had the original stock to keep with the gun, I might have been more willing to go with a straight grip on the restock. Either way, my PGCA letter, and the letter stating the work that I had done will be handed down with the gun as part of its story. Documentation is important.

To me, the story these old Parkers tell is a big part of the allure. As others have said, it's your gun and an opportunity to make it what you want, one that will become a family heirloom. You shouldn't be afraid to add to its story!
The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Meeks For Your Post:
Unread 06-28-2018, 06:38 AM   #8
chris dawe
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,784 Times in 602 Posts

I get asked this question a lot,being from across the border I may have a different thoughts than others here ,but If its not some super rare collector grade gun that you would be better off flipping - go for it !
basically IMO its your gun ,do what you want with it ...if parker was up and running you could order what you want ,so if the have the desire and the cash do so with this one ...as Dudley stated make sure to have it done right .

Good luck !
chris dawe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chris dawe For Your Post:
Unread 06-28-2018, 08:01 AM   #9
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,547 Times in 3,106 Posts

The First rule of Restoration is, There are NO rules.
edgarspencer is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post:
Unread 06-28-2018, 09:29 AM   #10
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,872 Times in 4,755 Posts

Just an idea, but one Parker "restoration" I did was from a different set of plans. Rather than spending a ton of money on reblue, case color, wood refinish and recheckering, I selected a gun that did not require metal refinish or mechanical repair. I spent my entire "restoration" budget on a piece of English and a very professional restock. Now I have an outrageous Parker in good condition, but not so good that I can't abuse it in the field. My budget was probably less than a full Turnbull style restoration.
Bill Murphy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post: