Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Unread 10-15-2012, 09:58 PM   #51
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

i love to hear about these old guns...ive got a model 12 12 ga thats got a cutts full choke on it...makes the gun look ugly but will put a lot of holes in a tin can or should i say aluminum can...these model 12 s sure handle good..would like to get a old 20 ga some day... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2012, 03:04 PM   #52
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Kelley View Post
Steve thanks for the photos..I love model 12's and the more worn the better...this gun was a real hunters tool .
Yeah, isn't that funny? I used to buy only pristine, like new guns; and that's fine, but today honest wear sings to me. Good guns hold up, even after hard use. I'd like to find a worn slick Remington 31, or one of those early Marlin pumps....they are something like 1900 guns. Model 43? Can't recall.

I agree, a worn smooth, silver, ancient shotgun is fun to own and cheap, usually, to buy. So you win both ways.

My GH is worn, no finish and checkering smooth. Good bore though, no cracks and she is a great shooter. Perfect.
Steve McCarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2012, 03:09 PM   #53
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie cleveland View Post
i love to hear about these old guns...ive got a model 12 12 ga thats got a cutts full choke on it...makes the gun look ugly but will put a lot of holes in a tin can or should i say aluminum can...these model 12 s sure handle good..would like to get a old 20 ga some day... charlie
I recall a Model 12, 12 ga that I saw at a gun show once. It was in fine condition, but had that Cutts out there and the barrel was short. So no one paid any attention to the gun, but I should have bought it. It was under $200. IMO the Cutts isn't so bad. Pretty ugly tho! LOL So you shoot it when no one is watching.
Unread 10-31-2012, 10:43 PM   #54
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

steve its funny you mentioning the old model 12 with the cutts on it i was just looking at it today...it was still ugly...but as you said i shoot it when aint nobody lookin and dont tell nobody...the model 12 is surely a fine gun... heh and i found the old humpback 20 ga pump gona try it out on crows soon..i can quit blamin my grandson now for gettin it... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2012, 11:07 PM   #55
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
steve its funny you mentioning the old model 12 with the cutts on it i was just looking at it today...it was still ugly...but as you said i shoot it when aint nobody lookin and dont tell nobody...the model 12 is surely a fine gun... heh and i found the old humpback 20 ga pump gona try it out on crows soon..i can quit blamin my grandson now for gettin it... charlie
If it quits raining I'm on the trap range tomorrow morning. I am going to shoot a 1955 well worn Superposed that I bought a decade ago. Have yet to shoot it and it is well beat up. I paid way too much for it and just looking at it makes me mad. My fault, of course. No one forced me to buy the gun and I wanted a Superposed. Always have.

However, it is a long tang 3" gun with the original butt pad. Has 30 inch barrels F&M. The gun is worn white at the balance where everyone holds a Superposed and when I flip the lever she drops right open, all the way. So the gun is well used. I don't know what the chokes measure now. Does heavy shooting open them up? Seems logical to me. I'll try the open barrel first on trap and she how she works. Just for grins, I'll shoot it with Fiocchi spreaders at skeet.

The gun seems to fit me pretty well and it has a kinda high comb. Single bead. Solid rib. LOP feels right. My eye lines up a bit high, so I look down the rib, so she should shoot a tad high. I like that.

I have not taken a picture of it, or I'd post it. I'll do it tomorrow.

Some people avoid the Superposed because they are heavy and indeed they are heavy. They are also complex with a very interesting break down feature. The barrel slides off forward along with its forearm. Different.

When I was a kid I used to drool over Sterlingworths and never thought that I'd ever own one. Now I do, but she is far from fine. I wonder how she'll shoot?
Unread 10-31-2012, 11:11 PM   #56
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Great Charlie! Tell us how that old 20 ga humpback shoots.