Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Restoration

Notices

how to proced with stock???
Unread 04-28-2013, 05:52 PM   #1
Neil Richardson
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default how to proced with stock???

Hi,

I have the stock off my Trojan. I'm not sure how to proceed.
I've read several sites about repairing/refinishing French Polish.

The gun is actually pretty nice: barrels good colour little pitting, the receiver still has a bit of colour, the stock is showing its' well used look so I'm a bit reluctant to lose its' originality.

My questions:

1 What is the best method to get the stock clean? I've already used Bichwood Casey stock conditioner.

2 The finish is completely worn from a few spots especially the rear bottom.

3 I'm not overly concerned with the dents

4 I read that french polish can be repaired but would that work on this stock?

5 If I refinish the wood how do I safely take this finish off?

I hope you see enough detail in the pictures.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Neil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stock 1.jpg (65.5 KB, 308 views)
File Type: jpg stock 2.jpg (63.4 KB, 309 views)
File Type: jpg stock 3.JPG (59.2 KB, 308 views)
Neil Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 07:37 PM   #2
Dennis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Neil I see the areas of concern but if it were mine I would put some paste wax on it and put the stock back on the gun. Others will no doubt give similar or opposite answers. In the long run it is your stock to do with what you want. It just doesn't look that bad to me.

Dennis
Dennis V. Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 09:17 PM   #3
Neil Richardson
Forum Associate

Member Info

I've been searching the forum and reading the refinishing threads. I think I'll try the shellac and oil method and see if I can level out the finish.

I'm still concerned that I don't have the stock fully clean.

Neil
Unread 04-28-2013, 09:58 PM   #4
Ed Blake
PGCA Member

Member Info

Denatured alcohol will dissolve any old shellac or other finish. Wipe on with a clean cloth.
Ed Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ed Blake For Your Post:
Unread 04-28-2013, 11:23 PM   #5
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,835 Times in 2,362 Posts

Get a disposable aluminum roaster pan at the supermarket that is large enough for the stock. Stop by your Home Depot or whatever and get a gallon of acetone and a gallon of alcohol. If the stock has a varnish or oil finish the acetone will lift that with no problem. Then toss the stock in the roaster and pour in the acetone. Cover the wood until it floats. Then pull off a good length of aluminum foil and make a cover for the "tank", sealing it as well as possible. Be aware that acetone is highly volatile and smoking the cigar over the top of it is not recommended. I let the things soak for several days, turning the wood over a couple times a day. When you feel like you're tired of that, and the acetone looks like it has quit changing color, pour the acetone back in the can, rinse the roaster out with alcohol, and then soak the stock in the alcohol just like you did in the acetone. When you yank the baby out of the alcohol bath it will be CLEAN! And you can seal it and refinish it anyway you want after you let it dry a couple days.

Condensed from our old friend Wonko.
Dave Noreen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave Noreen For Your Post:
Unread 04-29-2013, 06:59 AM   #6
Neil Richardson
Forum Associate

Member Info

I'd like to try and keep it an original shooter. But if that fails I'll take the finish off and put an oil finish on.

Dave, wouldn't a Trojan have a shellac finish? This is definitely the original finish.

Neil
Unread 04-29-2013, 08:10 AM   #7
Smoothebore
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I don't think your stock looks too bad as it is. But, if you want to "refresh" it, that would be easy to do. I would never strip this stock and start over. It's minor dings and scratches are honest wear and part of the life and history of the gun. The really nice thing about a shellac finish is that it can be softened with denatured alcohol and moved around. I'd rub it lightly with fine bronze wool dampened with a little alcohol. Blot the bronze wool on paper towels so it's only damp with alcohol, not dripping. If you use too much alcohol, or rub too hard, you'll remove the original finish. You just want to thin it and move it around. Keep wiping with paper towels so the alcohol isn't allowed to lay on the wood and work too long. If you do this gently, your stock will quickly look more even. Then you can use a cloth pad and fresh amber shellac to build up the french polish more evenly. Your best bet is the internet for french polish technique. Parker purists will say that Parker finished originally with two trays; one with shellac, and one with boiled linseed oil, dipping the pad in both. There is more to the technique than that. The BLO was only used to keep the pad from sticking. It's not really supposed to be a mixture of shellac and BLO. Actually, a few drops of olive oil on the pad works much better.

Dave
Dave Purnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 08:27 AM   #8
Kensal Rise
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,577 Times in 926 Posts

Why risk harsh solvents? I would simply scrub up the heel area of that stock with 0000 steel wool and low odor mineral spirits (mild) to clean and even the area, let dry 24 hrs., dab with a little stain if necessary, then rub on some varnish in thin coats with a cloth pad until it evens back up with the rest.
There is too much good finish on that stock to risk messing up.
John Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 08:31 AM   #9
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,735 Times in 1,252 Posts

If you decide to strip the stock completely with the above method, then you might as well steam out the dents/dings. Take a damp cloth/towel and place over the dents and with a steam iron go over them carefully, this will usually lift out the dents. when the wood is dry, then you can lightly sand with high grit paper till smooth.

But I would agree with smoothbore and follow his recommendation before completely stripping the stock. Also, bear in mind that if you strip the stock completely and then refinish, you may have to do the same to the fore end as the new color on the stock will not otherwise match the fore end wood.
allen newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 10:46 AM   #10
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,539 Times in 4,621 Posts

Denatured alcohol is good for removing surface dirt and contaminants without being too harsh. You must clean it with something first be it alcohol, mineral spirits or acetone. Since there may be dirt, wax or oil on there that can impede the application of more finish. The surface should be mildly abraded with 0000 steel wool to prep the surface.

Then sparing application of your finish of choice can be done. If you are just looking to freshen up the finish and take care of dry areas, then there is no need to sand or steam out dents and such. However, the checkering may need to be cleaned up. Most old guns can benefit from that.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!