Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Announcement, Help & Introduction Forums New User Introductions

Notices

New to Parkers not guns
Unread 09-06-2010, 03:39 PM   #1
Tom Holcombe Jr.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default New to Parkers not guns

Hello all, I have been writing ya'll all week tiring to get some help in id my gun well I've done that it is a Parker Brothers, now the question is just how old and who was it made for. Never dreamed that I would own a PB gun and never would have thought that my first one would turn out to be one of the first ones ever made, but that is how it is shaping up.
Here's what I've got can you guys help shed some more light on the subject for me PLEASE. Mine is a SxS 12 gauge (according to the dime trick) black-powder 38 inch Laminated Steel(stamped on sight rib), underneath in chamber area is hand-stamped a 1 & a 4(my guess choke), and @ watermark again hand-stamped with a J & a T. Can still see twists and peppering along ribs mostly that brown and plum patina very little pitting on outside but the inside is a different story, in places heavy build up but clear to bottom. Missing are the nipples and ramrod. Stock has been broke, and repaired(badly,my opinion), but the wood is still just beautiful don't get me wrong this gun has been used checkering is still there just smooth, English grip, butt-plate worn smooth but some of engraving can still be seen, double triggers of course(one seems to still work), guard is engraved. The breech side plates are engraved but not a lot and Parker(not Parker Bros.) is also on plates but no other numbers any where else, that I can see. Missing are the hammers.
This gun is overall 53 and 1/2 inches long and is a little nose heavy but nothing that cannot be adjusted for. I can do pic provided that I can figure out how to post and great sunshine(to capture stamps), if anyone wants.
Tom Holcombe Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2010, 03:55 PM   #2
Bindlestiff
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,924 Times in 869 Posts

From your comment that your Parker is missing both nipples and ramrod indicate that it is not a Parker Bros. shotgun. The Parker Bros. shotguns discussed here were never made as a muzzle loading shotgun, which would use both nipples and a ramrod.

See the link in our FAQ section for more information ...

http://parkerguns.org/pages/faq/IsMyGunParker.htm
Robin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2010, 04:02 PM   #3
Tom Holcombe Jr.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks that's where I started found as close to it as could be from biography on Charles Parker but please help.
Unread 09-06-2010, 04:10 PM   #4
Tom Holcombe Jr.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Really figured that this is just to go on wall any way. Thanks again.
First Parker Bros.
Unread 09-08-2010, 06:52 PM   #5
Nicholas Sarro
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default First Parker Bros.

I came into this parker a few weeks ago. It was stored with a Stevens, wraped up in an old hammock in an attic. It's a SxS 12 ga., serial # 13814, grade is xU I think. Damascus barrel, frame o2, weight 528, and it also is stamped pat April 11 1876. I looked up that it was made in 1879. It's got some rust issues inside & out and a few small dents along the sides of the barrels. I didn't notice them until I started cleaning the rust off. I'd like to find out who first purchased it. Do I have a diamond in the rough, or just a wall hanger?
Nicholas Sarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2010, 08:56 PM   #6
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,047 Times in 1,727 Posts

Nick, Could you post some good quality pictures? That would be a big help to value your Parker.
Unread 09-08-2010, 09:58 PM   #7
Nicholas Sarro
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Pictures

I've been trying to post some but they don't seem to appear. I'll try again now. No good. It says the web site is under maintance. I'll try again later or tomorrow. Thanks.
Nicholas Sarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2010, 10:05 AM   #8
Tom Holcombe Jr.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Any one waiting for pictures to help me ID this gun I will when the clouds move off, had an issue with one of my dogs yesterday so that good day got wasted but I will get to it and I want to Thanks again for any and all help.
Unread 09-10-2010, 05:44 PM   #9
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,597 Times in 1,550 Posts

Actually, a cloudy day is better for taking pictures
John Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12 guage, black-powder, laminated steel, sxs