Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

Unread 04-13-2011, 11:06 AM   #21
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,790 Times in 4,721 Posts

Tony, you are sure correct about the range of wood quality on Repros. However, you may not know that Mr. Skeuse owned the company that supplied the wood. The name of the company is Calico Hardwoods. They are still in business, apparently.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 04-13-2011, 11:29 AM   #22
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,042 Times in 12,322 Posts

Bill, that's about the same as my recollection too - I think I read somewhere that he bought it for the specific purpose of supplying wood for his Parker Reproduction endeavor.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2011, 06:07 PM   #23
Tony Guccioni
Forum Associate

Member Info

Bill, thankyou for your tidbit re: Calico Hardwoods.
I suppose the success of Parker Repros ( at least in OUR minds ) is due to the vision of a single person.
If Mr. Skeuse wanted to use top notch wood of varying figure in a single grade of gun then so be it. No committee or board of directors to answer to. What a luxury!
Tony Guccioni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2011, 06:55 PM   #24
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,790 Times in 4,721 Posts

Yes, Mr. Jack Skeuse ranks right up there with Tony Galazan and Steve Lamboy as heroes in the modern US shotgun world.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2011, 12:36 AM   #25
Trigg Davis
Forum Associate

Member Info

Though I don't post often some of you know me and a lot more of you know my good friend and hunting partner Rich Flanders. Both of us our Alaskan's as is the seller of these guns.

Though he does not list his full name I am confident I know the seller and have known him for over 35 years. I know the gun shop and the owner of the gun shop where he bought quite a selection of Parker reproductions. The owner said he let him inspect them as they came in and select the wood he wanted.

I acquired a 28 gauge Parker reproduction form him just a few years ago. He had guns still in the boxes and wrapped as they came. Totally untouched. He had a few that he took on a trip out of Alaska and hunted, sometimes only once. I believe I was told he once had in excess of 20 of these guns. He is a successful retired individual. If he got barrel length wrong I expect it was inadvertent.

He has some unusual guns and he bought them I believe as investments though of course he shot a few of them. In any event over time we all must pick a time to sell. He has mentioned to me a time or two over the last few years that he really should market some of these so his wife won't have to deal with it if someday. I think that is all he is trying to do.

He has had some nice things. I believe this may be an unusual opportunity and that he is well be worth a call. I just thought some of you would like to know that.

Trigg
Trigg Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Trigg Davis For Your Post:
Unread 04-14-2011, 02:10 AM   #26
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

I just spoke with Trigg about the owner of this Repro. I'm pretty sure I've met him at the gunshop. Trigg knows him pretty well and apparently he has quite a collection. Prices seem a bit steep but not by much. I sold a similar gun to Dave Miles but with a beavertail for not much less than his asking price on this one. If anyone is interested in investment Repros they might call him and inquire about the unopened ones. Apparently some have not been even touched yet and he has some interesting combinations, some including .410's. The owner is an old time Alaskan who used to do a lot of wolf shooting from his Supercub until they outlawed it. This guy could tell you some stories for sure.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Richard Flanders For Your Post:
Unread 04-18-2011, 03:05 PM   #27
Richard Skeuse
Forum Associate

Member Info

Hi Bill My father Tom Skeuse was the one who made the Repro's possable not my Brother Jack. Although Jack did run the division for a while. Thanks
Richard Skeuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2011, 03:41 PM   #28
Setter Man
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,636 Times in 634 Posts

Richard,

I'd like to buy you, Jack and Tom a drink. Great products, vreat value and a heck of a business venture.

Sincerely,

Jay Gardner
Jay Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Parker repro
Unread 04-18-2011, 03:52 PM   #29
Richard Skeuse
Forum Associate

Member Info

Smile Parker repro

Thanks Jay, Southern comfort Manhattan will do,dirty ice on the side
Richard Skeuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2011, 04:10 PM   #30
Setter Man
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,636 Times in 634 Posts

It's a deal. I've been told that I make a wicked Manhattan however, I've never tried making one with Southern Comfort. (I'm more of a Rye guy).
Jay Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote